@Seb, the Interview!

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Abe, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

You've been waiting for it, and it's finally here! It's the slightly revealing, tell-some, mildly repetitive interview with none other than @Seb! Here goes...

What is your opinion on Tex Rimmer?

Depends if you mean the user or the joke that wore thin!

The user: no opinion

The joke that wore thin: it wore thin

Do you think Tex Rimmer will return?

If he does, I’ll be ready.

Do you know the current whereabouts of Tex Rimmer?

If I did, you wouldn’t need to ask me.

Is Cloud the best forum member?

No, I think the best forum member is

What is better? Muhammad Ali in his prime or Anti lock breaks?

Well, the Prius Prime comes with anti-lock brakes anyway, so I guess if it’s got Muhammad Ali in it it’s even better.

Can Cloud be in charge of the forum?

In practice? No.

Theoretically? … no.

How many Red Dwarfs have you seen recorded live?

10 thus far:
    Trojan
    Lemons
    Dear Dave
    The Beginning
    Twentica
    Give & Take
    Krysis
    Cured
    Timewave
    Skipper

And I was also on-set while mid-week record bits of Entangled were being filmed (I’m just around the corner out of view during the “ape legs changing to human” shot), and during rehearsals for Officer Rimmer.

Next time you are on a Red Dwarf set can you steal me something?

I haven’t managed to steal anything for myself yet, so I’m afraid you’d be down the queue!

How did you luck out into this gig??

The long version: http://www.sebpatrick.co.uk/blog/2016/09/its-cold-outside/

The short version: I was friends with Andrew and he knew I could write/thought I could handle the job, so he put me in touch with GNP when he decided to leave. Happily, they agreed with him, and Doug didn’t hold the fact that I’d previously done a bad impression of him in a fan film against me.

[​IMG]

I think you do a great job moderating this forum, do you have prior moderating experience?

A bit, a long time ago, but not anything like to this extent!

Who has given you the most work on the forum?

Spam accounts.

From series 1 to series XII my favorite character has changed, have you gained more appreciation for a certain character over time? If so, which one?

I think the more I rewatch the show, the greater an appreciation I get for Robert and Danny’s performances, in a way I maybe didn’t when I was younger and more just focused on the characters of Lister and Rimmer.

Also, Hercule Platini.

If you could throw Ant E down into the firey pits of Robot Hell, would you? For how long?

Maybe just for a few minutes, so he could enjoy the song. He’s not that bad really.

[​IMG]

What is your favourite episode of Red Dwarf and why?

Thanks for the Memory. It’s a fantastic premise, brilliantly written and acted, with a good mixture of laughs and pathos, wrapped up in a clever time-twisty structure. In other words, everything I want from my entertainment.

What's your favourite season of Red Dwarf and why?

II just edges it ahead of VI. They’re very different, but for me they have the best gag rates, and also the best overall feel.

If you have read them, what did you think of the Red Dwarf novels?

"If you have read them", lol.

Love them. The first two are unadulterated masterpieces, and the second half of Better than Life in particular is maybe some of my favourite ever Dwarf, ahead of most of the actual show. But I love the two solo ones, too, for the way they each expand massively on the concept but in very different ways. Last Human has terrific character work throughout, and Backwards gets to go pretty unrelentingly grim in a way the show never could.

It’s also reading the novels back nowadays that I realise how much Doug and Rob’s writing style has been an influence on my own. Especially the way they invent self-descriptive verbs like “padded”, “beetled” and “sluiced” - really nicely evocative.

How many episodes of Red Dwarf have you been to the recording of?

Answered above, but in case you missed it: ten (and a bit).

What TV shows other than Red Dwarf do you watch?

At the moment I’m very into The Good Place, Derry Girls, Riverdale and The Marvellous Mrs Maisel. Doctor Who is of course a perennial. Got into Line of Duty last year so will look forward to that coming back.

I’m also rewatching the US Office for a podcast I’m doing, and dipping in and out of a rewatch of Mad Men.

I often end up watching kids’ TV because I have a two-year-old daughter, and Hey Duggee and Sarah & Duck are both magnificent examples of it.

Who are your favourite bands and singers?

Weezer, Blur, Elliott Smith, Los Campesinos!, Rilo Kiley / Jenny Lewis, They Might Be Giants, REM, Angel Olsen, Charly Bliss, Jeff Rosenstock, Jonathan Richman, Talking Heads, Buzzcocks, Roy Orbison, Bruce Springsteen, Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci, Half Man Half Biscuit, She & Him, Islands, of Montreal, Nada Surf, Nina Simone, Ozma, Pavement, Ben Folds Five, Pulp, Suede… and a fair few others, probably.

What are your favourite novels?

Aside from the Dwarf ones (no, seriously, they’re up there) - the Adrian Mole series (favourite: Weapons of Mass Destruction), the Hitchhiker’s Guide series (favourite: Restaurant at the End of the Universe), Sherlock Holmes (actually short stories for the most part but hey), Matilda, 1984, American Gods, Neverwhere.

Some more recent stuff I’ve read and loved: The Fictional Man by Al Ewing, The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp, the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

Most of my favourite books are comics, though, it has to be said. Despite the fact that I have an English degree.

Are you ginger?

No (although my daughter is). I’m blond, which has gone darker/a bit more brown as I’ve got older, and now starting to get mild flecks of grey.

[​IMG]

Why do you look ginger in pics?

Bad lighting

Do you have a soul?

My mate once bought a pair of shoes with artificial intelligence. 'Smart Shoes' they were called. It was a neat idea: no matter how blind drunk you were, they could always get you home. But he got ratted one night in Oslo and woke up the next morning in Burma. You see, the shoes got bored just going from his local to the flat. They wanted to see the world. He had a hell of a job getting rid of them. No matter who he sold them to, they'd show up again the next day. He tried to shut them out, but they just kicked the door down. Last thing he heard, they'd robbed a car and drove it into a canal. They couldn't steer, you see. My mate was really, really blown away about it. He went to see a priest. The priest told him it was alright and all that, and that the shoes were happy and that they'd gone to heaven. You see, it turns out shoes have soles.

[​IMG]

Part two in a moment!

2. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Favourite board member?

The ones I already knew before the forum.

Least favourite board member?

Not anyone currently posting.

Forum member you hope never returns?

Should be obvious, really.

Who is Jason Cook?

Jason Cook (born 1973/1974) is a British comedian and television writer.

After attending South Tyneside College in South Shields, Cook joined the merchant navy.[2]

He started a career in stand-up comedy in 2005 when he became part of a sketch group called Soups.[2] Then, with Lee Fenwick, he appeared in Die Clatterschenkfieternmaus. The act was styled as Germany's most pretentious and confrontational synth-pop duo.[3]

His 2007 solo show, My Confessions, won critical acclaim at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Inspired by his father's stroke and recovery, it won the 'best international show' category at the New Zealand International Comedy Festival.[2][3] In his show the following year, titled Joy, Cook talked about his father's diagnosis with pancreatic cancer and his subsequent death.[4]

In 2011, he created, co-wrote, and appeared in Hebburn, a sitcom based in his hometown, of the same name, in Tyne and Wear. A pilot was performed live as part of the unbroadcast Salford Sitcom Showcase at MediaCityUK in October 2011. A series was commissioned, and was first broadcast on BBC Two in October 2012.[5] A second series was broadcast in 2013.[6]

He is working on a radio series and a new solo stand-up show 'Broken' for 2014. He is scheduled to appear on John Bishop's new stand-up series. Cook is also the face of a Jacob's advert.[5]

What's with all the terrible Jasons in this place?

I don’t know.

Favourite forum member you've met?

The ones I already knew before the forum.

Forum member you'd most like to meet someday?

All of them.

What does DJ smell like?

Friday: Anticipation
    Saturday: Excitement
    Sunday: Tiredness

Are there cliques on this forum?

Probably, but what people tend to think of as “cliques” are usually just “people who know each other and have inside jokes based on having known each other a while”. The concept of a clique is surely something you outgrow when leaving high school.

What do you think of "The Cool Gang" on here?

Jungle Boogie is good.

Do you ever get tired of @neilold's nonsense?

Nonsense is fine. Having different political views from me is fine. Racism is not.

Can I please wear your glasses?

I don’t know who’s asking this, but: no.

Thoughts on Jurgen Klopp? Right man for the job?

Yes, and I say this even after the West Brom and Swansea games. He’s flawed, but he’s great, and he’s absolutely the best possible person we could realistically hope to attract.

Favourite TV show that isn't Red Dwarf?

As mentioned above, other major favourites include Doctor Who, Mad Men and the US Office. Not already mentioned: Parks & Recreation, The Simpsons, Spaced, Father Ted, I’m Alan Partridge.

Abe is a Clam

Steamed clams?

Favourite meal?

Spaghetti bolognese or pizza. Or, ideally, a bolognese pizza.

Who wins in a fight between this forum and Ganymede and Titan?

Me

Favourite Dave Era episode of Red Dwarf?

M-Corp

Norman or Hattie?

Both!

Would you rather have to eat nothing but Brussel Sprouts forever or drink nothing but tomato juice?

I’m not really a fan of either of those things, but I could handle losing all other drinks more than I could handle losing all other foods, so I’ll take the tomato juice.

Does Doug Naylor ever read the forum?

I’d imagine he might, yes.

Can you tell Doug "hi" for me?

Tell him yourself!

Would you like any toast?

Yes.

Have you ever recommended anything which actually made it into an episode of Red Dwarf?

Not directly. But I did once theorise on a podcast that the presence of Subbuteo fencing in Out of Time (the scene where Lister presents Kryten with the house and picket fence made out of chocolate fingers) suggested that the crew enjoy playing the table-top flick-to-kick football game. Then in Dear Dave, it was confirmed that they do. Coincidence? You decide.

Are you contractually obliged not to criticize Red Dwarf?

Contractually obliged? No. But it’s pretty standard common sense in any job, especially one where you’re a public-facing representative, not to say things that reflect negatively on your employer, isn’t it?

What was the first episode you saw?

Justice, during the 1992 repeat run of Series IV. Outlined in a bit more detail in that blog post I linked to above.

If you could change one thing you did in the past, what would it be?

Agreeing to this interview!

What is your username on G&T?

I think it’s just “Seb Patrick”, isn’t it?

Are you Andrew?

No.

[​IMG]

So, that's that! Perhaps we'll see you around for more interviews soon!

3. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Thank you for the interview @Seb and @Abe too. Nice job. :-)

Abe likes this.
  4. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

good stuff and posted this century.

Abe likes this.
  5. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

6. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Good stuff Skipper @Seb and thanks for arranging Ed.

Abe likes this.
  7. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I don’t remember asking a question?! But then so many years pass with @Abe ‘s interviews.....

Very nice work though Abe and Sebastian

Abe likes this.
  8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Great interview. Thanks, Abe and Seb.

Who's up next?

Abe likes this.
  9. Ant E

I think you should do it

Abe and Cloud like this.
  10. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I agree let’s have bluey

Abe likes this.
  11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Sorry, but I'm not in the mood for doing one of these. Maybe sometime in the future. Sometime around 2025.

Abe likes this.
  12. Ant E

More accurately you prefer sticking your beak into everyone else's business as opposed to revealing anything about yourself. Disgraceful.

Abe likes this.
  13. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I think its the mystery element of bluey that makes him an enigma, sometimes he's even a mystery wrapped up in an enigma

Abe likes this.
  14. Ant E

a mystery wrapped up in an enigma holding a pair of binoculars!

In my head, Bluey is Norris off Coronation Street!

Abe likes this.
  15. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

a riddle wrapped up in Norris, wrapped up in a mystery wrapped up in an enigma

kinda like a mystery version of a four bird roast

Abe likes this.
  16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ant, you gave me a small laugh there. That phrase was the funniest thing you've posted on the forum in a long, long time.

Abe likes this.
  17. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Not sure yet. It'll either be @DivineVarod or some yet-to-be-disclosed interviewee, depending on what happens.

18. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Enjoyed reading your interview Seb :-)

19. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

:sulk::sulk::sulk::sulk:

Ant E likes this.
  20. Ant E

:roll::roll::roll: