Series 10 Ideas

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by liamofsmeg, Apr 13, 2009.

1. liamofsmeg

liamofsmeg Third Technician

Episode 1 Polymorph 3 - does no body remember the container that polymorph arrived in, "contents 2" and the emohawk wasnt the morph from dwarf it came from the gelf so all this time there has been another morph on the ship. and low and behold nobody has noticed that theres a soap bar in the sleeping quarters which obviously has never been used but has it been over looked?

more will be updated soon. will be looking to post a script for this episode and storyboard.

liam out.

2. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Trying to avoid a black hole, and due to some reason (general stupidity, lack of holly), they end up getting sucked in.

Cue a whole load of mind-f*ckery as they travel through and space and time is warped around them.

3. liamofsmeg

i like the idea of a black hole, but i think it would be even more funny if red dwarf gets ambushed by 5 black holes which the crew all don't believe holly because of the grit incident :-)

4. richisawesome

Especially if Hattie Hayridge comes back as Holly (which I personally think is very very likely).

That'd be hilarious. Something like this:

Holly: 'ALERT ALERT, ABANDON SHIP, BLACK HOLES ON THE SCANNERSCOPE!'

Rimmer: 'Oh no no no. Not this one again. I seem to remember last time this happened, I ended up marooned on an icey wasteland with mr vindaloo here when in actuality the black holes were grit on the radar'

or something

5. liamofsmeg

I'm beginning to like this idea more and more i may go away and come up with a story board and script and then post it here see if we get any interest then pass to Doug to give him a well deserved kick up the jackson pollock.

6. richisawesome

Going back to the style of storylines in series 3-6 (coming across abandoned space stations, odd planets, hostile ships) would be the best action for the next run of episodes.

Series 7 and 8 suffered because they broke from this formula. Nearly all the episodes in 7 took place on starbug, and the entirety of 8 took place on Red Dwarf with very few excursions outside of the ship. The feel of adventure and exploration were gone - and that was the entire point of Red Dwarf in my opinion.

Back to Earth felt like a classic episode of Red Dwarf in that respect, and it's a very good start for what could be a brilliant series 9.

7. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

look at my 'hollyday' idea on the Bloody Fantastic!! now... onto.. Episode Ideas thread includes maybe the other polymorph

8. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

heres my idea for an episode.

Holly, still being offline has left the boys to pilot Red Dwarf themselves. Kryten trained up one of his spare heads to do the work, but Rimmer feeling left out tries to do so himself.
    Soon after Rimmer flies straight into a small moon, breaking the cone on the front of Red Dwarf (which gathers vapour for the engines). With Red Dwarf now out of fuel and stuck, the crew have to use a team of Blue Midgets to tow Red Dwarf down onto a planet to repair it.

Once on the planet they find gravity is far denser than normal, making take off in Red Dwarf impossible. So thanks to Listers idiotic plans, they decide to destroy the entire planet, leaving Red Dwarf to be floating free again, but in an astroid belt from the planets remains.

Few plot holes in that idea, but not bad for an on the spot idea.

9. liamofsmeg

i'd agree with that, i think it'd be quite a laugh if they're are more orange swirly things, and finding whacked out creatures who want to kill the crew and mate with cat.

and more fights between lister and talkie toaster

10. liamofsmeg

i really do think though that the black hole idea would be great, hattie would have to come back tho

11. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

here is my holly day episode idea which i have copied form the Bloody Fantastic!! now... onto.. Episode Ideas but have now copied it here as well

'hollyday': holly (if he's in the next series) get bored doing the same old jobs day after day and decides to go on well' a 'hollyday' leaving Lister, rimmer, the cat and kryten speeding towards a large sun or planet with no means of controlling the ship. when the crew try to look for holy they discover a note from holy explaining why he's disappeared and a clue to his whereabouts. Lister and the cat go off looking for holly leaving kryten and rimmer to attempt to work out holly's clue. kryten and rimmer work out that holly is in the cargo hold and radio Lister and the cat to tell them where holy is. all the crew meet in the cargo hold to try and find holy but find some kind of alien creature or monster lurking down there (could be a monster evolved from one of Listers old socks or maybe even the second polymorph) after getting round this they then find holly and persuade him to turn himself back on. they only convince him just in time to move red dwarf onto a new course and miss the planet/sun

only problem with the episode is that it is two long if the red dwarf episode were 45 mins this could be ok other wise it would probably have to be a two parter:lol:

12. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

In other reposts; I rather like the idea of starting a new series off with a plot that resumes in the post-BTE present, but lets us peel back the layers to learn more about what's occurred during the time that's passed.

Started doing the script thing after Ep.1, too. :-D

13. liamofsmeg

yeah sounds like a good plan

maybe sabrina mulhullen de jones could make an appearence.

14. liamofsmeg

ok yeah i think your right we'd like to have things crop up to bridge the gap of the 9 years, but what about the whole essence of dwarf the fact there was never any real story line other than trying to get back to earth or trying to remember where lister parked red dwarf. or more recently proving their innocence for the nano bots.

red dwarf was at its best when there was no proveiling storyline through a series look at series 3.

some of the programmes best episodes were in series 3 and even hitler made an appearence.

liam out.

15. mikehaseloff

I don't think a sense of structure has ever been responsible for lesser episodes.
    There's no reason a classic Red Dwarf format can't wrap around plot. Particularly as filling in the NINE YEAR gap need only require more than a single episode, dealing with the same kinds of antics that would have occured had they been sequentially released.

16. liamofsmeg

okay but what about Marooned - just Rimmer and Lister chatting, if not the best episode ever, i think there is a missing episode though from all 8 series's Rimmer Shoe Tree collection, just Rimmer organising the collection and Lister trying to muck it up for him.

17. mikehaseloff

It'd be great if a new series could strike a balance.
    An episode that unravels the mysteries of the past nine years with a good sense of humor, might be a nice place to start the ball rolling. Then there's no reason the series couldn't be shared amongst any number of formats familiar (or new) to the show.

I think part of Marooned's strength has to lie in the fact that it's one of very few episodes to focus that intently on those two characters. The first series had those great bunk scenes, but only Duct Soup comes to mind as a comparable episode that focused that specifically on a single event and the exchange that it allowed/encouraged.

One of those in a good ten or twelve episode series, without multi-parters, could be great!
    Getting away from the monster-of-the-week and recycled plots, to spend more time with the characters, is a great idea.
    Dwelling on a single moment isn't a very friendly way to start a series, though.

18. liamofsmeg

yeah i agree not straight away for a lister/rimmer exclusive.

i just think there needs to be more chaos, holly needs to return if norman refuses then lets look back to hattie to revive holly. there was never any explanation as to why holly changed face before so lets go with that.

the only downside is there is no more starbugs or blue midgets as the crew took them all when they evacuated.

liam out.

19. mikehaseloff

Didn't the Series 3 scroll mention Holly was smitten with his alternate universe-self, and had a sex-change in homage to her?

I'd like to think the sci-fi comedy could earn it's way around the Starbug/Blue Midget situation.
    There are a lot of options. A couple of ships just got overlooked; a couple were out-of-order and can be repaired; the crew rescue one of the escaped Starbugs, only to have the survivors die at the hands of a monster-of-the-week; the crew recover crashed Starbugs or Blue Midgets, bridging to a larger plot.

I don't know if I'd want it to crop up into too many episodes, but it might be fun to do a running gag (maybe isolated to one episode) built around rescuing multiple Starbugs/Midgets. Each group of survivors become cannon fodder for villains who, for the only time ever, can actually "shoot straight."

Most of these kinds of "problems" really only represent possibilities.
    The resurrected Red Dwarf crew alone offer stand-ins for the more implausible fare that usually populates the series, such as chance encounters with remnants of life in deep space!.

20. liamofsmeg

Does anyone have a transcript of the beginning scroll?

possibly could be another special (red dwarf and dr who combine) the dwarf mysteriously has a blue box sitting in the cargo bay and they encounter daleks and the gelf.

liam out.