Series 10!!!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SimplePlan2k8, Oct 10, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I don't get why everyone is so focussed on Studio Audiance being essential. Tikka to ride had no studio audiance and, continuity problems aside, is regarded as a very funny episode. Series 8 in comparison had a studio audiance yet is regarded by many as largely awful.
    Good writing is what it of paramount importance here and at this stage I'd argue that an audiance comprised of "real" dwarf fans might even be a negative thing as they may be more likely to laugh simply out of familiarity and being psyched to be there than the audiances of early Red Dwarf series did when really good jokes were what it took to get them laughing rather than familiar situations and characters.

2. Spaceman

Spaceman Supply Officer

Just want to know something here about the new series and since this thread is about the new series it seemed a good place to start.

Does the new series come with extra chilli and chutney?

3. Lancebastion

Lancebastion Skutter

I think a studio audience is hugely important. Series 1-6 are by far the best and 7 really missed having them (with the exception of perhaps the first two episodes). Yes, you could argue series 8 had an audience but was still seen as a poor series by most casuals, but I'd far more put that down to bad scripts.

Since 'Stoke Me A Clipper' the stories have become less sci-fi, less imaginative and less funny, while references to previous episodes, two and three parters and attempts at making film like episodes have become the norm. That's not what Red Dwarf audiences want or expect.

A 30 min Comedy Sci Fi Sitcom, yes please. Three parters out ... Humorless scripts, No Thanks.;-)

4. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

i used to hold the opinion that studio audiences are passe. But when you consider how enhanced the actors performances are by feeding off the audience, they might be a good thing for Dwarf. Ultimately I think it should be a decision for the actors so they can hone their best performances.

5. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Personally I would say that an audience laughing in the background adds to the enjoyment of the show. Regarding the costs though, most of my favourite episodes are the dialogue based ones. So I'd be happy just to have some intelligently written scripts with lots of debate and jokes going on between the 4 or 5 of them and then forget about the expensive set pieces.

I just like to see it with a couple of model shots of RD flying through space and then have all the action based inside the ship (like most of series 1 and 2). At the core of RD is the script, so make sure that is good and the rest isn't so important.

RAGE

6. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

The studio audience in 1-6 are great. In 8 its almost like a married with children audience, whooping and hollering over the end credits and things.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While I like some of the dialogue based stuff I definitely wouldn't want all the episodes in the new series like that! (Neither would I want each to be planet/station of the week). I've often thought sereis 3-6 was the strongest Dwarf. Possibly 4-6 as it took Rob Llewellyn a little while to settle into the suit and accent, but there are some good stories in 3.

I'd also like to see how modern affects will render planets or a gelf camp. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting CGI should just be stuck in there just for the sake of it. It should serve the story. I'm glad Doug is keen on models too as they're great for the close ups.

I'm aware that effects stuff would be limited due to budget constraints, but that was always the case and can turn out to be a good thing in breaking up the series.

8. stephypops

stephypops Catering Officer

Definitely a studio audience please! I think as has been previously said in this thread, that the actors feed off of the audience and this can only improve their performance. Again, I also agree that good writing is of the utmost importance and more sci-fi related storylines should be done.
    As long as Doug listens to the fans on this new series I am sure we will have the RD back that we know and love - lets just hope this season goes ahead after all this hype because I am very very excited about the possibility of another series! :lol:

9. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I'd be interested to see the return of Starbug or Blue Midget.

Though come to think of it, perhaps we'll finally see the debut of White Midget ;-)

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Actually, we've seen that briefly already during the back-flash scene of Ouroboros*. I agree, though, I wouldn't mind seeing it properly, although I hope we see the others too.

*Some might argue that only appears in the second Kochanski's universe. However considering the rules of multiverse theory subscribed to in that episode (i.e. new universes branch different ways depending on various scenarios, in this case, who ends up with Frankenstein the cat) that ship should exist in Lister's history too.

11. stephypops

I know this is totally unrelated but I have just worked out what your name sounds like (screen name), I am soooo stupid! Sorry just rambling in the middle of this thread I know! Its supposed to sound like made in taiwan isnt it?:lol:

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's also the name of an agonoid in the Red Dwarf novel Backwards.

13. stephypops

Thanks Bluey, I didn't know that, I am in the process of buying the RD books as we speak so I have catching up to do! :-)

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Heh. The joke tickled me when I read it, particularly the Star Trek alien name type style. There are other joke names as well. (Agonoids are essentially the same thing as simulants by the way.)

15. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

I disagree with this- the last time he did that we got series VIII :eek:ops:

16. bedfordfalls

Which also happened to be filmed in front of a live studio audience, you know, the same live studio audience everyone seems to think will somehow increase the show's quality 100%! :eek:ops::eek:ops:

17. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I have to disagree here, the audience laughter is something for the actors to feed off, improving their performance. It doesnt necessarily mean the writing will be any better XD But it is needed...

18. bedfordfalls

Except that your argument didn't stop Extras, The Office, The Royal Family, Early Doors, Peep Show or numerous other comedies from being really funny.

Yes I know, the creative process, bla bla bla, Doug works by rewriting, bla bla bla.

All I know is that BTE worked perfectly fine for me without a studio audience as did the other shows I mention, many of which were sitcoms. Doug didn't seem to have a problem doing sucessful rewrites to the BTE script despite not having an audience to feed off.
    I'm not opposed to having an audience but what it all boils down to is the writing and as series 8 clearly showed us poor quality writing will still get big laughs from Red Dwarf audiances these days, simply due to their familiarity with the characters and their excitable nature at being there for the recording.

There's also the matter of deciding whether Red Dwarf is going to be a sitcom again after the disastrous attempt to go back to its roots with series 8 or whether its better suited as the comedy-drama it tried to be in series 7 and arguably succeeded at being in BTE.

19. stephypops

Perhaps I should not have an opinion then... :shock:

However I do and I stick with what I originally said. You simply cannot please all the people all of the time and there will be people on here who want the audience, those who don't and those who liked the writing after season 6 and those who don't and those who really don't like season 8.

We can argue about the new series until we are somewhat blue in the face but we all want different things and we are just going to have to wait until the new episodes reach us on Dave... (hopefully) to make an actual informed opinion on the new series. :-)

20. stevekeel1980

stevekeel1980 Skutter

bring back mr fibbles for series 10.