Series 2

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, May 11, 2012.

1. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

Gloriously re-watching... digitally remastered (Looks like that just means they went over old film using crayons, but colouring more nicleier than before???)

Either way it's nice watching & series 2 was very funny, and the dog's milk conversation was out of this world.

I listened to "Kryten" as an episode on Audio tape & it made me laugh all the same.:-D

2. 1234564

1234564 Third Technician

I'd much rather watch the original versions than the remastered versions. The pencil Red Dwarf and the commission of certain lines ruins it for me. The new Blue Midget I really like though.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

As with the Pencil Red Dwarf, I was never a fan of the Blue Midget redesign.....maybe because I partly associate it with the Blue Midget dance from series VIII (that aired here before the Remastered episodes did).

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Parallel Universe is a bit weak, but other than that series 2 is a pretty strong series. The standout episode is probably Thanks For The Memory.

I saw the Remastered version of series 2 when I bought Bodysnatcher, but I would never do so again. For me, the original will always be the superior version.

5. Slainmonkey

Parallel Universe was my least favourite of the season because while I did like my and large the humour in the episode....I found the characterizations of the female counterparts......Female Rimmer was WAY too much and I didn't believe Female Lister is that cold towards pregnant people because that means Male Lister would be too and that kinda goes against what we have learned about the character. I think the the episode's issue was that it failed to deliver the central theme of sexism in reverse in a convincing way.

6. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Yeah, there are a few bits of characterisation that are a bit off in 'Parallel Universe'. Arlene Rimmer comes off as less sexually repressed and more of a sexual predator than Arnold Rimmer, and Deb Lister comes off as quite sexist and shirking of responsibility.

7. Slainmonkey

Indeed, I think your description pretty much hit the nail on the head. I mean Rimmer for all his kinda sexist words is just kinda screams insecurity and feelings of sexual inadequacy, never has he been so overtly aggressive. As as much as Lister is a bum his meant to have some redeeming traits to his personality and his female counterpart kinda seemed to contradict that, how is it meant to be the female counterpart of the guy you sometimes see crying at sappy romance films and such?

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Fair points, but I don't think the physical differences in being female would necessarily be the only differences in those characters. It follows their experiences may have been a bit different, the way they are brought up, etc. Also, it's my experience* that there are small emotional differences between men and women. I say 'small' because I think we largely experience them the same, but they do seem a bit closer to the surface than with us men. Mind you, that be more cultural than biological, i.e. men are less likely to cry but is that because there's a stigma attached or is it a biological trait? I think a bit of both, but anyway...

So, in effect certain emotions and character traits in the female universe might be exaggerated somewhat. We know Rimmer is pretty sexist, so Arlene is outrageously so. Not the women are by large that way in our universe, but then again, this isn't our universe. If women were dominant... who knows how things may have turned out? (I'm asking for trouble here aren't I? I love women, honestly and for the record, doubt very much it would have this affect on people in general, but Lister and Rimmer are hardly normal people in either universe.)

As for the differences in remastered episodes mentioned earlier (I can't be bothered quoting) my main issues are the line omissions in the remastered shows. And to be fair there aren't that many, but I thought the 'red card' gag should have remained in. I never had a big issue with the remastered ships, although I do think the pencil is way too long. The version in BtE and series X seems a nice compromise between the two designs.

And I used to prefer the remastered Blue Midget. I think I actually like them both now in different ways. The original is actually pretty nice, and has an industrial look which fits well with the aesthetic of the other ships, Red Dwarf and Starbug. I like the originality of the new Blue Midget though. Okay, I suppose it's not too original since the Imperial AT-ST Walker did it first, but that one didn't run and this is a space ship!

*So please don't shoot me ladies...