Series 7 gets better with time

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jul 24, 2013.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I've gone from pretty much losing interest when Rimmer leaves in Stoke me a Clipper, to really quite enjoying S7 on repeated viewings. I've come to really like the film filter they used on the cameras. Everything was darker, closer, and had a real nice feel about it, removing the studio feel of the other series.

I also liked the fact that it was far more character/plot driven, as opposed to relying on the monsters and slapstick that started creeping in half way through S3. I can see now, that even without Rimmer, it was a bit of a hark back to S1 and 2, and that's no bad thing.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's an interesting phenomenon that I and others have noticed over the years that series 7 is actually a lot better than most people seemed to realise when it was first broadcast. I wrote about this phenomenon here.

It really does get better with time. I often choose series 7 episodes (from Ouroboros onwards anyway) when I'm in the mood for a random episode of Red Dwarf.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

probably, i know series 8 gets worse with time

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I can't believe series 7 is in the Classic Dwarf thread!!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

5. 74384338

74384338 First Technician

Series 7 was definitely better the second time round. I think the first time I was just thinking, 'When the smeg's Rimmer coming back?' and hating Kochanski more with every episode. Now it's great. There are some quite good episodes. For me Beyond a Joke is the strongest of the "without-Rimmer" episodes, but actually they're all not too bad.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'd say even S8 has its moments too. The cell scenes with Rimmer and Lister - especially the one after the basketball game in Pete Part 1 - is pure S1/S2.

7. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I do like Series VII quite a lot, it only suffers from the lines written for Chloe Annett really, and Rimmer was in it quite a bit more than I realised at the time. series VIII though just get more and more unwatchable as time goes by.;-)

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You've got to feel sorry for Chloe (a decent enough actress and a seemingly nice person). It's not her fault that not only was she playing a completely unlikeable character (in seven at least) but she also had by far some of the worst dialogue in Red Dwarf history. The stuff about the third largest city in Vietnam and 'hopeless' having 'hope' in it in particular stick out in my memory.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

"decent enough actress"? Well, I've only seen her in RD & Crime Traveler. She was awful in both!!! :roll:

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

She wasn't awful. I've seen some bad actresses over the years (I watch Neighbours after all), and she wasn't one of those. 'Bland' is the worst criticism I can level at her (in Crime Traveller at least).

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've got to strongly disagree there. The conversation after the basketball game that you refer to, which included the awful join-the-dots, 'cloning experiments that have gone wrong' and toilets-on-planes dialogue, was nothing like the intelligent, witty, well-written and excellently-acted series 1 and 2 conversations.

The only part that felt series 1 and 2 to me was Rimmer playing draughts against himself. It was a good little moment that I could imagine Rimmer doing in the earlier series.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Agreed, the dialogue wasn't as good, but I refer more to the simplicity of these scenes; Lister slobbing on his bunk while Rimmer does something he sees as more 'productive' around the quarters. The banter and piss-taking was back too, namely Lister annoying Rimmer.

Ooh, and I just have to pull you up on your "well-written and excellently-acted series 1 and 2 conversations."

Well-written, certainly, but excellently-acted... really??. Craig Charles delivery in particular was, while infinitely charming, absolutely awful in parts. Just listen to him delivering his lines to Rimmer, during their scene in the Observation Tower in Better Than Life, when he talks about being found with his head down the toilet as a kid, because he thought they'd flushed his dead dad down there.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Charles wasn't always wonderful in the earlier series, but for the most part his performances were pretty much perfect. He had a considerable amount of charm, charisma, screen presence and a fantastic chemistry with Barrie. He was just perfect for the character. So perfect that I couldn't imagine any other actor playing the role.

I don't know if it's the writing or the actor who's to blame or perhaps both, but Charles' performances 7 and 8 just seemed a bit off to me.

14. 74384338

I think everything was a bit off in VIII. Thank goodness we've got quite a good return to form with X.

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I very much beg your pardon? :shock:

You know, for a minute, it just sounded like you said 'a good return to form with X' :lol:

16. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

The Only things i would change in Series 7:

* Get Rid of all the CGI and replace them with the unused model shots and model shots from Series 6
    * Lighten up the cockpit so it matches Series 6
    * Get the studio audience
    * Dont get rid of Rimmer until the 4th episode and bring him back in Nanarchy
    * Begged Claire Grogan to come back as Kochanski
    * Put the remastered wig on Holly for the scenes

17. 74384338

Actually, the word "quite" is important here.
    X may not be I-XI - nowhere near - but it is infinitely better than VII or VIII as a sequel - surely?

18. Kyleooooh

Kyleooooh Skutter

Series 7 of Red Dwarf has always baffled me why it get's so many critics, i can kind of see that losing Rimmer was a bad move for the series but overall i dont think series 7 is any weaker than the first 6 series and it is certainly miles better than series 8 at least it still feels like your actually watching Red Dwarf and not some silly knock off show.

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

When Rimmer appears in Lister's dream during Blue, why does he [Rimmer] talk about Kochanski as though he's never met her before?

20. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

I believe if Chris had not gone, it would be a good series, tikka and stoke are great episodes. but then Rimmer goes and the dynamic as gone..so they bring her in to replace Rimmer? never going to work.