Series 7 gets better with time

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

From his brief bits of dialogue about her, I didn't get the impression that Rimmer was talking about Kochanski as if he's never met her. He just wants to know Lister's opinion of her. And besides, it was only a dream, so anything goes.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well I'll give you that it's just a dream, but here's the exchange from the script:

RIMMER: I, erm, I hear you've got a new crewmember?
    LISTER: Yeah, Kochanski.
    RIMMER What's she like?
    LISTER She's okay, y'know?
    RIMMER Is she... as good as me?
    LISTER Well, she's been here a few weeks and she hasn't quoted one Space Corps. directive...
    RIMMER She's pretty attractive though, isn't she?
    LISTER Is she? I hadn't really noticed. She's the type you don't really notice. When you eat soup and spill some on your shirt and you don't notice it? Mm, she's like that.
    RIMMER So, she's... not as attractive as me, then?

Rimmer knows how hung up on Kochanski Lister is, so why would he be asking questions such as "What's she like?" and "She's pretty attractive though, isn't she?" ?

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well, What's she like? and Is she... as good as me? come across to me as Rimmer wanting to know how she fits in as part of the Starbug crew, something he's unfamiliar with. She's pretty attractive though, isn't she? indicates that Rimmer is aware of how good looking Kochanski is and therefore has met her previously. So, she's... not as attractive as me, then? is Rimmer wanting to know who Lister thinks is the more attractive.

That's my take on it anyway.

4. BadWolf117

BadWolf117 Second Technician

/\ that could be an injoke to the fact that the Kochanski is diffrent from the original Claire Grogan Kochanski

but thats my thoughts

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yeah, to be fair, Rimmer hasn't actually met that version of Kochanski.

6. Highjump

Highjump Second Technician

hah i feel the exact same way i just re watched this and i laughed a lot more than i did back then, does that mean the comedy was before it's time or other factors?

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I know I started this thread, and I'm only really rehashing what I said back then, but I'm currently half way through this series again and it really is very good.

It's kind of ironic, and rather sad, to think that if Rimmer has been present (in place of Kochanski), it could possibly be one of the best series of the lot.

8. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I have never got the series 7 hate at all I think it's a brilliant series only spilt by:
    A. Chris leaving mid way through (those eps would have worked a lot better with him in them)
    B. The woeful effects

Otherwise its my third favourite series.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What I love about S1 and 2 is the portrayal of the crews' leisure time (of which they have a lot) and S7 kind of harks back to that - particularly in the use of the AR Suite again; a much neglected vehicle.

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

I've said before that I quite like Series 7 on the whole. The first 2 episodes are very good and fit in with the 'classic' I-VI vibe. Blue and Beyond are good episodes as well, and I enjoy the last 2 episodes personally, it's only really Ourorobos and Duct Soup that I don't like and even they have their moments.

You could even cheat and replace one of them with 'Identity Within' in your head, at least it's got Rimmer in it, put that second and Stoke third.

11. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I liked season 7 more the second time I watched it. The Rimmer song is very much loved, and constantly stuck in my head at the moment. When I think back what I didn't like was how Kryten acted towards Kochanski, being constantly jealous. Kryten in this series still gets on my nerves. Kryten the rest of the seasons I love.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

But, but.... HEE'S SEEN HER NAAKED!

13. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

For me while I think 7 is an okay series overall, my opinion of it has actually got worse over time. I remember when I first watched it 19 years ago I honestly thought it was as superb as the previous 5 series. In fact, for a few years I preferred it to series 2. I even loved Ouroboros and thought it was one of the best episodes of the entire series.

However, round about the mid-00s when the DVDs were released I didn't even watch the 7 DVD hardly at all when it was released and found it lacklustre compared to the earlier series. It just didn't feel like proper RD - the comedy/gags weren't as funny and I started to see the Kryten "jealousy" for what it was - pathetic. And yes I also didn't like Kochanski particularly the way she was characterised to be so prissy and snooty though I know some fans don't mind it.

When I re-watched RD all the way through last year my opinion of it has now become more moderate - I think it just an "okay" good series overall but IMHO only Tikka to Ride and Stoke me a Clipper maybe Epideme too are up there with the best of Red Dwarf. Blue and Beyond a Joke (strangely the one I thought was weakest when I was younger) I feel are good episodes too and Duct Soup is quite good. But yes Ouroboros I now see as one of the weakest episodes of RD of all time.

The fact that most of the episodes for me that are up there with the best of RD contain Rimmer all the way through says it all really. Though Chloe does a bit better with Kochanski in 8 for me her character didn't work and though it did have an effect on the writing despite the loss of Rob you do feel that if Rimmer hadn't left it could have been up there with some of the best Red Dwarf series. I love the more dramatic style in the episodes with Rimmer in and Epideme so that is no problem for me.

Still I know it's a bit of an "I'll get me coat" moment in some people's eyes but for me series 8 has 4 episodes that rank amongst the best of RD compared to 7's 3 eps and I find the 1999 run funnier. So probably I might prefer 8 slightly but indeed Back in the Red Part 3 and the final three episodes are dreadful. But it is a shame I don't adore series 7 like I did when it was first broadcast and the few years after though.

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I did a rewatch of series 7 recently and, whilst I thought it was "largely inoffensive" (i.e. I could watch it), Tikka To Ride was excellent. Somehow, that has become one of my favourite RD episodes of all time. The rest, however, just seems like a different show.

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I loved tikka to ride, I thought it was great for the first time I saw it.

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I dunno I still think series 7 feels like Red Dwarf for the most part, but when Rimmer departs if feels like there's a big hole in the series that Kochanski only served to be a further reminder of. Series 7 I've always said is bad Red Dwarf but "okay" television but series 8 is flat out bad television......infact I couldn't imagine many other shows even being much worse then series 8.

17. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

VII is overall pretty inconsistent but I do really like Epideme. I just wish it were funnier.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

For me i remember when Series 8 came out i thought it was better then series 7 but now i don't think series 8 has held up in repeated viewings while with 7 i can kinda forgive its issues since alot of the problems were out of creative control like rob grant leaving, chris barrie leaving, the model shots not working out ect ect, so overall i think series 7 is just ok

I think stoke me a clipper was pretty bad though

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I think Stoke Me A Clipper is one of the better ones from series 7, but still pretty bad by RD standards. I wasn't keen on the artificial reality rubbish (which was done much better in Gunmen - and how the hell was a knight supposed to have suddenly materialised? I know they're doing it to convince people, but let's face it, Lister knows, Rimmer knows, Kryten isn't that stupid, so there's only Cat left and he won't care).

As I've said, I think Tikka To Ride is by far the best episode, and actually a pretty darn good episode of Red Dwarf as a whole. It had some great comedy, a good storyline AND it was actually tightly written. Imagine if the rest of series 7 had been like that.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

For me i think stoke me a clipper ruined the character of ace Rimmer that was done so well in series 4 while in 7 his attitude was sp smug and an obvious caricature which i dunno whether that was done because it wasn't mean't to be the real Ace Rimmer but i am assuming they were writing him as if he was the Original Ace Rimmer otherwise what was the point in bringing him back

Also i hated the wig stuff and rimmer trying to put on ace rimmers voice as it dissected the character and was a little bit on the nose