Series 8 FANS thread!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JCjunkstar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

Hi guys (I'm a newbie to the forum) - but long time fan of Red Dwarf. I have to say that series 8 is (for me) - RIGHT up there with the high points of series 1-6. In fact, it is probably in my TOP THREE series of RD ever. I am perplexed at people who seem to loathe it so much. For me, it was a more expansive (bigger cast, bigger production values) series than previously, and had some episodes that again, for me - were up there with my all time favourites. I simply adore Krytie TV, the 3 part Back In The Red, and Cassandra. I like the fact that there's a playing to the gallery approach from the cast at times, and I think it adds to the warmth of the series, in terms of it feels more like I am a part of the show as a fan, than maybe previously. I think series 8 brought back what series 1 and 2 had going for it so much, which was the 'Porridge in space' sort of vibe. Rimmer and Lister, two guys who annoy the hell out of each other, but need each other to stop going insane - trapped in a cell, in a ship, in space - it brought that right back to the forefront of the show. That meant more scheming again, more neuroses being aired and just the tension was back up to scratch which Dwarf has always had! So yeah, I love series 8 it's one of the best, and if EVER I am thinking which DVD to watch - it's always a toss up between 3 & 8! (maybe 1&2) (for a quick episode).:lol:
    ---
    I did post this comment in another place too, but felt like it was time to get series 8 lovers/fans showing some smegging love!

2. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Welcome to the forum.
    I have to say that series 8 is probably my least favourite series, although I love BITR and Cassandra. The second half of the series was nowhere near as good IMO.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i tend to forget series 8 ever got made, or at least try really really hard too :shock:, the humour of series 8 was more goofy then anything, and bringing the crew back totally dumped all over the original concept of the show

ahh i could go on but i wont, SEE WHAT YOU STARTED! *cries*

you must of loved BTE then

4. JCjunkstar

I did like BTE - yes! I liked it's League Of Gentlemen (the movie, finding out they are characters in a show) cum Bladerunner-esque pretensions mixed in with the series 7 glossy look, but whilst I liked it immensely as it marked the return of Dwarf - it isn't my favourite by any stretch.:P

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm a big fan of series 8. I never disliked it, but I recently watched it in its broadcast versions for a change and was falling about laughing. I still don't like Back To Earth, but I'm thrilled a lot of people seem to.

6. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i have always loved each and every episode of this show, series 8 incluced. i love the dibble family, the being seduced by predeterminism theory, all of it.

7. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

I really liked series VIII, the more 'goofy' slapstick humour got me laughing a lot, but I guess that's a matter of taste. The way Lister and Rimmer salute the Captain makes me giggle every time I see it. BTE on the other hand... Well, there were a few funny moments but it lacked some of the original magic in my opinion. To be fair,'twas a good story.

8. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

VIII had some quality moments just like all the other series; it just had a few weak moments too and it seemed to lack a bit of the RD charm (plus the effects were trying to hard to be up to date). But like I said it gave us some classics. "Well rather you shall see, I have already seen' is one of my all-time favourite lines.

9. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I would love to love it but It's not right :-(

10. JCjunkstar

"Have you seen this man, believed to be a French movie star....?"
    CLASSIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEKSHnYO5I

11. jaybo1973

Ok, your right, this is a classic scene. If the series had stayed like this, it would of been red dwarf

12. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

" As if your todger with a couple of eyes drawn on it would look like a
    French movie star. Way too good looking."

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I thought that joke was awful and about as far from being a classic Red Dwarf joke as it's possible to get.

14. jaybo1973

I'll have to give the series a go again but I doubt I will change my opinion. Only ever seen it twice. Once when broadcast and then when I got the DVD. I tried 7 again recently but only got 3 episodes in. I didn't even bother with the bte DVD so have only sedition once. I have seen the others countless times over the years.

15. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

I think Rimmer's first line of that joke is great. Then it's over expanded in the next line. And then again. And then again. Series VIII in a nutshell.

16. JCjunkstar

I think you can cite countless episodes through all series where gags are crude or enlarged upon through a series of exchanges - to me that exchange is still laugh out loud funny. As for a re-watch of Series VIII - DO IT! I hope you'll be enjoying it more! My mission is a tiny one, to spread the joy of series VIII! :P

17. JCjunkstar

The scene where Lister reveals he's enlisted Rimmer into the Canaries is a winner!

18. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

Thanks for posting this. I really like 8 as well. I'd heard so many negative things, but when I actually watched it through, I thought it was really funny, and it grew on me with each subsequent viewing. It's sillier than the others, and certainly more uneven than the early series, but I think it's a really fun series with a lot of great moments and I can't understand the intense dislike that so many people have for it.

19. JCjunkstar

Yep exactly! That salute could have gone on for an hour....

20. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Normally I don't think "he's standing behind me" jokes are funny but maybe its because Hollister has been a hilarious target for Rimmer bile for years makes me really laugh at it when its used in Pete...

"Quick? The only time he's quick is when he's passing a salad bar!"

The "see you in 10 minutes!" thing is also bizarre, gets quoted around a lot when planning meetings with my friends/gf.

In fact if you think about it, the "Captain's Office" episode that was stripped down and made into Pete would've been a lot funnier in its own right without all the Pete stuff its framing.