Series 8 FANS thread!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JCjunkstar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

2. SoC00L_L

SoC00L_L Third Technician

I love series 8 as well. I really like Kochanski (which most people does not) and I am really happy when they are 'all together' with Rimmer again. The five of them. I just love it. Plus there are some really great moments. It is a little bit different from other series, but in a good way.

3. matty9896

matty9896 Third Technician

Whoop! Whoop!

Always lovely to see some Series VIII appreciation!

I think the only story that could be called 'average' in VIII is Pete. Other than that, one of the funniest series ever.

4. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I was watching the Rimmer salute after having one too many cans of the caffeine drink starting with C and I laughed so much, my throat swelled up and I had to get meds. :shock: Couldnt talk for a day! This scene sums up VIII for me, very funny, very fresh and just 'marvellous'. :lol:

5. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I actually also find series VIII fresh and funny, but the salute scene is one of those I totally understand people not liking. It goes on too long for what is not that great a gag. It's been discussed to death around here, but some of the humour in series VIII relies too much on repetition and the often misplaced belief that dragging a gag out to just beyond what you'd expect is funny.

6. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

I really like Back in the Red, it was really nice to have Rimmer and a more amiable Kochanski to the team. Cassandra is classic dwarf, lived it! Re-working through S8 at the moment :-)

7. jaykhunter

Been going through S8 over the last few days. Pete is definitely my less favourite. From Only the Good, the Baxter's Hooch segment is hilarious! I'd no idea this season wasn't liked that much. Overall I'm pretty happy with it!

8. jaykhunter

I'm spamming this thread now. Oops!

Have a question - Krytie TV, Kryten (in the women's shower) records himself by looking into a mirror and then into the rest of the shower. How is that logistically done? I can't see a camera in the shot!

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I always assumed his eyes (or one of them anyway) acted as a camera lens.

10. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That bit felt like it went on for an hour, and that's not a good thing.

I didn't really hate Series 8, there were some good moments in it (That wasn't one of them though) but there was a lot of poor quality slapstick and it's definitely the weaker of the regular series IMO.

11. Cruel Slayer

My assumption, also.

12. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Can't believe anyone likes this. It is beyond redeemable. Totally bastardises the concept of the show. Hard to hear the laughter above the sound of barrel scraping. :x

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I watched series 8 yesterday, I thought it was genius, I'd forgotten how good it was.

14. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Y'know, I've just realised something.

Here we have Simulant admit to having not actually watched most of Series VIII, excepting a few bits here and there, and yet still he attacks both the show and anybody who likes it at any opportunity. So, what we essentially have, is hard evidence that he makes posts like the above solely to antagonise people and cause arguments. We have hard-evidence of flaming/trolling, whatever category it falls into.

I just thought it was a rather fun observation. Probably already been mentioned.

15. Cruel Slayer

I've realised I'm not keen on "Back in the Red". But yesterday I watched "Cassandra" and "Krytie TV", and each time I watched those episodes my opinion of them improves. Total genius! The concepts are fresh and sophisticated, and the gags hilarious! The idea that people experience so negative an emotional response to this series because of its differences to previous Dwarf, and conjure such ludicrous justifications for their feelings, represents the absolute height of delusion to me.

16. jaykhunter

In my short time here I've learnt to ignore his posts. No time for bitterly mean people.

As someone who wasn't on RD message boards I couldn't believe they immediatedly spoiled the surprise return of Rimmer at the start of BitR. It did immediately put me at ease with the return to form though. I was shocked that Doug would change the script because people on the net new. Has that happened before or since?

I loved the (what would've been his reintroduction) line : It's you as you used to be! ....Ugh!

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I didn't watch back in the red unfortunately, so that remains a distant memory for me. However I thought krytie tv was very amusing. There were some funny moments I had totally forgotten about. I also just watched tikka to ride and felt that was a stroke of genius. Brilliant story.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Going through series 8 can be a dispiriting experience if you're watching all the series in order, but individual episodes viewed out of context can be fun if you try not to be too critical. But there's absolutely nothing 'genius' about series 8.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wrong. I haven't "not actually watched most of Series VIII, excepting a few bits here and there". I watched the opening story Back in the Red & then a few bits here & there. :roll:

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

"Fresh and sophisticated" is certainly an interesting way of viewing jokes about perving on women showering (belongs in Carry on Movies), references to Jeremy Beadle (belongs in the eighties) and visual gags involving pubic hair (belongs in crass American teen movies).

Whenever I've rewatched series 8, it always seems to start reasonably well and I think that maybe I've misjudged it. Then Cassandra finishes and it suddenly devolves into all of the above plus erection jokes and robot penises. Then it becomes a sketch show. Then it just actually takes a giant **** on me for investing any time in it with that final episode.