Series 8 FANS thread!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JCjunkstar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

if you compare series 8 to any of the series that came before its incredibly shocking that its from the same writer

its no wonder that quite alot of fans are abit worried about series X

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

if my memory serves me well didn't Paul Alexander write the script and doug just threw a few jokes in...

3. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I was a bit, but not much.

They were going to do an episode involving the hidden camera medium without references incidentally Jeremy Beadle? They were going to use an equally well known nineties point of reference?

What you saw as jokes about perving at women I saw as character based comedy involving the struggle to do the right thing against the temptation of benefiting from someone else's wrongdoing. I can't stand "Carry On..." movies.

I agree the pubic hair thing was annoying, but it didn't play a major part in the show. There have been other parts of Red Dwarf, even in "classic" episodes, I thought were unnecessarily grotesque.

Alright, I was being sarcastic about sophisticated, but I actually do find series 8 fresh. There are elements of it I enjoy which would have been impossible with four blokes trapped in space together.

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Stop trolling kyle, the thread clearly states 'series 8 fans thread' why is it you have to read it if you are so against fans that like series 8? Just cos fans don't like series 8, doesn't mean that I, as a fan, have to not like series 8. Therefore I come to a thread that supports the series, so why are you trolling!

5. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Take your own advice!! :x:x:x

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Ditto.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd like to point out that Harry was only joking when he was talking about the Toaster trolling.

I think he was anyway.

8. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Hmm, yeah..bluey knows me well

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

What?!?

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Given that several jokes in Alexander penned episodes also reoccurred in the Jasper Carrot series which aired around the same time and given that Alexander worked as a writer for both, I wouldn't discount any jokes as being his.

11. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I think Rob Grant and Doug Naylor also penned jokes for Jasper Carrot as well.

12. bedfordfalls

That's true but I wouldn't have thought Doug was doing it at this point in his career, especially if he didn't have enough time to write Red Dwarf and Alexander was actively contributing to Carrot at the time.

13. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

So any chance of only people who like S8 Posting in this thread or it's just a free for all without the swearing. Was hoping for posts to increase my enjoyment of RD, not the opposite.

Were there any space-corps jokes in S8 or is that gone since S7?

Em, Pete's dinner bowl, was that a swimming pool or...?

Was S8 much more expensive overall than S7?

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

In no particular order...

I don't think there are enough people who really liked 8 around to sustain a thread by themselves. Anyway, I don't see how posts on an internet discussion group can increase/decrease your own enjoyment of a TV series, if you like it, watch it and enjoy it.

Going from memory from the script book (Which is in the attic at the moment, so don't ask for any direct quotes as this is purely from memory), Series 8 was intended to be deliberately expensive, I don't think actual numbers are mentioned though. IIRC initially, no-one involved actually wanted to do Series 8 but when Red Dwarf was originally commissioned they were contracted to do 8 Series, so they came up with a SFX and cast heavy script that they thought was too expensive for the BBC to give it the go ahead.

They were wrong, Red Dwarf was on something of a high as we'd just had Season 7 and the 10 year Red Dwarf Night special, unfortunately though they still managed to run out of money which is why we got the rushed ending of Only the Good.

I can't recall any, I think that they got quietly dropped like references to the Cat being able to smell anything and everything from miles away through the vacuum of space...

That's what I'd always assumed.

15. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I don't think this is correct. Ultimately I think part of the reasoning for Series VIII, beyond the show still being popular, was that it could push it up to a total of 52 episodes, making it far easier to export (weekly episodes allowing for one per week for a year), if I remember the documentary correctly. I know I've certainly heard absolutely nothing to suggest at the beginning they were commissioned for eight series. The feel of the documentary recollections was always one of a bit of uncertainty between series, although with general confidence they'd be picked up again for another series during the prime of the show.

16. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Thanks, you've just practically made me go up into the loft to get the book down :lol:

OK, this from the book.

Then later, Charles says:

So I wasn't entirely right (But I did say that I was typing from memory!), this was after Series 6 and referred to both Series 7 and 8, but the general jist is there. Doug Naylor didn't want to do them and they weren't really supposed to go ahead in the first place. I was wrong that everyone else involved didn't want to do it, but both Ed Bye and Chris Barrie had to be persuaded to come back.

That said, there was an interesting comment in the introduction to Back In The Red, that Red Dwarf VIII had an almost identical budget to Victoria Wood's Dinner Ladies. That's got to mean that either Victoria Wood had an incredible budget, or the agent submitted a much less expensive budget for Series 7 and 8 than he indicated.

17. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

I think it's great that the new series, and subsequently, Dave airing repeats of the series (albeit backwards!) - has got not only people on this forum talking, re-watching, and possibly revising their views on the writing, the shows, the series as a whole, but outside the confined walls of the RDforum, the social networks are alive with the sound of Dwarf!
    In my view, this is great - I can't say how many tweets, for example, I saw yesterday with people, young and old discovering Dwarf for the first time - SO many comments like 'Wow! Why have I never seen Red Dwarf?' - or 'Me and my mates love it, we were too young first time round' - but more SPECIFIC to THIS thread - many tweets were centered around some sort of revision of Series VII and VIII (the two series that Dave have so far repeated en masse!)

And I am happy to say the overall consensus was that SVII and SVIII were 'much better than I remembered', 'really great' etc - which is fantastic. (I'm a huge fan of both series hence me starting this thread in the first place!)

Also, despite the disparaging comments from a few on here recently regarding comparing stand alone gags (pubic hair) - to the humour typified in Carry on movies, I must say this. Not only were the Carry on movies premised on an endless procession of innuendo, visual gags and sexual semantics - RD has ALWAYS from S1 to SVIII had the occasional sexual / toilet humour / sexual cum visual gag (no pun intended) in the writing. That strand of gag didn't suddenly appear in SVIII - we've had sausages crawling up pants, various 'babe' gags, nob jokes, lads getting off with totty and getting dressed up for the girls jokes in episodes as ranging as Psirens, Kryten, Emohawk. Let's not even mention Spiders going up pants, or Rimmer finding Kryten apparently giving fellatio to Lister.

You may argue Rimmer smacking his Johnson with a hammer is too OTT or Panto - but what Panto has that sort of gag in anyway? Plus, that kind of humour, in my view is funny, if done sparingly, and well, which for me, at least - it IS in all the series.

Off piste - did anyone notice the SHAMEFUL adverts for Dr. Who (Dinosaurs on space ships, Gunmen of the Apocalypse) - I would SUE the pants of them!8:-(D

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

So yeah those posting in here like series 8...or at least certain episodes of 8? :?

I like series 8...

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Dinnerladies did actually have a higher budget than you'd expect for that kind of sitcom - because each episode was shot twice.

But Dwarf, of course, has never had gigantic budgets. One of its most shining attributes is how much more expensive it could be made to look on occasion.

20. bedfordfalls

Much as I hate Pete, I've been bemused by the way both the media and the internet has been creaming themselves over the amazingly original concept of "dinosaurs on a spaceship", which no television show has ever done before Dr. Who...apparently. :roll:

Have they really done a Gunmen of the Apocalypse as well though?