Series 8 FANS thread!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JCjunkstar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I like series VIII and have watched it countless times as I have every other series, although not too keen on the Dino episode.

Forgive me for being thicker than a ticket touts wad, but why was each episode of Dinner Ladies shot twice ?

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

They've done a western episode, in other words. Gunmen was merely a western episode with a Red Dwarf spin of the computer virus and all that, after all.

3. Reznor

Reznor Guest

a western in kent yeeeeeehaaaaa :O

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yeah saturday will be the day the doctor who western episode is shown, and dave will be showing series 6 (gunmen of the apocalypse) on same day :eek:

5. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

Hey Simon and Daniel (and anyone else who can answer) were Red Dwarf contracted for 8 seasons? I thought they got renewed on a yearly basis (but S2 was commissioned after ~S1E3). Like I imagine their contract was up after S6, what with the huge gap. Were the actors contracted on a yearly basis too?

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

This is the first I've ever heard of Red Dwarf being contracted for eight series and it sounds, with no offence meant to the person who presumably read it somewhere before posting it here, like bunk.

From everything I've heard on the DVD docs etc Red Dwarf has always been a show where the actors were never sure if they'd be coming back to do another series.

As for the huge gap between series 6 and 7, I don't think that has anything to do with contract negotiations and I would imagine was more related to Craig Charles legal troubles at the time that would have prevented any such future series being made had there been any truth behind the false accusations that led to them and of which he was cleared after a lengthy (and disgraceful) legal process.

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

They were not contracted for eight from the get go. Nobody would contract for eight from the get go, it's too much of a risk in case the show falters, and especially with Dwarf being a sci-fi/comedy which was not exactly a proven market. There may have been a contract for a couple of series at once later on, I can't speak for that. Typically, from what I understand, it was a rolling thing and if the show did well they would get to do another one. The cast had varying levels of confidence at times (seem to recall Chris being very confident about getting a third series after filming ended for the second, or it might have been for a fourth after the third... it's in one of the docs).

Seem to recall something in one of the docs about series two being commissioned before series one finished, as you say, which actually helped save the show as it didn't really take off properly until Series II. A comment, probably exaggerated, by Doug I think in one of the docs stuck with me, where he says in half of the episodes he thought the audience laughed more at the warm-up than the show during series one, but from series two the show beat the warm-up 6-0. I wonder if it had anything to do with dragging people in from a pub across from the studios to sit in the audience? Definitely remember Doug passing that little anecdote too.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That was partly a mis-interpretation on my part I think. I don't think they were originally contracted for 8 seasons since I'm sure I can recall reading somewhere that they were quite surprised to end up getting a second series. However, as I quoted elsewhere, by the end of Series 6 going by Doug Naylor's preface in the Series 8 script book they were contracted (And legally obliged) to do another 2 series.

There is a comment from the Agent about how this would bring it up to 52 episodes, so one episode for every week of the year (Although I find that a bit suspect to be honest, at this point every series had been 6 episodes so an extra two series would only make 48 in total, unless they'd been contracted for a specific number of episodes but even then that'd seem odd as most UK TV comedies were 6 episodes per series at the time IIRC).

Beyond that though, I'm not sure how the contracts worked out, they could have been done on an episode by episode, multiple series at a time or the BBC purchasing a block of episodes for Grant-Naylor to produce at their discretion. Unless someone who really knows volunteers the information, it's anyone's guess.

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I remember hearing about this, as it makes it easier for exporting across or something, as it's one per week for a year. So if they were commissioned for a further two series, it wouldn't be too great a stretch to imagine them being bumped up to eight episodes to hit that magic number, or potentially Doug pushing for eight instead of six to reach that number, export it easier, increase exposure and perhaps make it easier to find funding for his movie plans or something. Circumstance causes the change, despite six episodes being the norm for a British comedy (something which I think is still the same now?)

10. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

This sounds like a derivation of the American syndicated cable requirement of 50 episodes; much like Arrested Development squeaking over the line at 53. Anyone know if RD is on in the states on a proper channel (ie not PBS?)

And was the budget for S8 really that large? I'm shocked at such a big story of pricing yourself out of the market didn't reach the documentaries. Mostly because they're generally quite candid, talking about trouble on the set.

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Global syndication targets were, as I recall, the sole reason, that Red Dwarf expanded from six episodes to eight per series from series VII and VIII (it certainly doesn't appear to be anything to do with Doug overflowing with ideas given the stretched out and/or farmed out nature of both series).

With this in mind it would seem to make sense that both were commissioned together. I think the mindset was that global syndication would raise money and money would help the movie. Just about every unpopular decision involving those two series seems to have been about helping the movie happen.

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I seem to recall Peter Jackson saying that Red Dwarf only got the second series because another show that was contracted for another series got axed, and the budget for that had to be spent so Dwarf got it. I'm not sure if that was the second series or third series, possibly the forth or fifth or maybe the sixth but on a long shot it could be the seventh or eighth.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Was that before or after he'd filmed The Lord of the Rings?

14. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I believe Paul Jackson was referring to Series I there actually. I think it was "Happy Families" that wasn't so much axed, as only ever intended to do a single series, so Rob and Doug were given a shot with Red Dwarf. Other factors involved too I'm sure, but I'm pretty sure that was how the first series was finally given the go ahead.

15. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Isn't that cute, he thinks that's a justification! :-D

16. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It IS a justification. Although admittedly not a "cute" one. :x

17. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol oooo very interesting don't let mr bedford see this :P

18. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

That may be true but I do wonder whether Doug protests too much in that preface. Would the BBC really have sued them after the writing partnership had broken up? I think Doug continued the show because he wanted to which is fair enough.

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol sue? more like walk the plank into this :P
    [​IMG]

20. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

I can only speak as a fan who has no insider knowledger.
    I remember watching the cliffhanger of series 6 as it was broadcast. The "to be continued" to me seemed like a promise that there would be a new series at some point. However after waiting and waiting (no Internet so I had no idea about the progress) I had given up on the idea. Then out of nowhere series 7 arrived. I read in an interview at the time that they killed Lister off as they did not know whether he would be found guilty of rape. I also remember at the time everyone praising series 8 over 7 because Rimmer was back but now it has shifted to series 7 being superior. I also remember reading that they needed a set number of episodes to get the show syndidcated so that is maybe why they did an 8th series.