Series 8 FANS thread!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JCjunkstar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

I love Season 8. It explored and fleshed out the characters more. All the old Dwarf crew back so to bounce off their jokes more, especially with Captain Hollister.

It's a shame that the original Rimmer wasn't in it so all the first 7 seasons are lost to him now. But then wouldn't there be 2 Rimmers then? A dead one and a living one? Tricky really because Kochanski wasn't resurrected as the one we know is really from another dimension, so this didn't really work out too well.

On the plus side, we saw Norman Lovett return as Holly :-D

It was also a good insight at how it was like before the initial disaster. My only real disappointment with it was the lack of a real explanation on what happened between season 8 and season 9.

I also liked Season 7, but I did prefer it the second time around with the audience laughter. Somehow it made it work better.

All in all, I found it all pretty hilarious :lol:

2. captainlisabeth

captainlisabeth First Technician

I can't say I adored VIII, BUT there are stand-out moments (for me) that make me happy to watch it again and again as I do with the previous seven. Rimmer's farewell salute to Hollister in BITR pt 2 still gets me, I rewind it over and over and it never gets dull. But I'm rather easily pleased, in all fairness.

I'm a Red Dwarf fan. I can't say I dislike any season because they all make me laugh, just... I enjoy particular seasons more than others. :-) Just like most people here, I'm sure!

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I'm geniunely curious as to what makes you say that as I found much of the humour in 8 far weaker, more juvenile and slapstick than in any previous series and I honestly can't think of any way that the characters were explored or fleshed out more, if anything they seemed more like shallower charicatures of themselves. That's not to say that there weren't still laughs to be had.

You've not really thought through the implications of the multi-dimension theory as sumarised in Dimension Jump have you? For every decision that's made the alternative is played out in a different reality. That means that every time Ace succesfully recruits his replacement in an alternate reality Arnold Rimmer decides not to go, meaning there are literally infinite Rimmers. Who's to say where the current Rimmer came from?

Given the moon impression, the Nostrillomo and the Rat arsed joke, I'm not so sure that's a plus personally...

It wasn't really though was it? What the vast majority of the series concerned was set in and among the 400 strong prison population (Or realistically about 10 of them), it showed very little of life onboard the rest of the ship.

To be fair though, I don't think you can really fault Series 8 for the lack of explanation in Back to Earth, which was about a decade after.

For me, having rewatched it all again recently, it had its moments and in general I think isn't as bad as I often remembered, but it was still a long way from Red Dwarf at its peak and there were much more bad jokes in there than previous series.

4. Butterpat_head

Butterpat_head Third Technician

So are you only comparing it to the earlier series, and dismissing it in comparison? I wonder what you would have thought of it if it had been series 1 of a new sci-fi sitcom.

Personally I loved it. Especially after series 7. I hated what they did to Kryten in S7... the whole mother-clucking jealous thing. It took me a while to get into the Kochanski character after the cringeworthy pipes scene and Duct Soup in general but at the end of the run I thought she would have made a good addition to the crew.

In series 8, I didnt like Killcrazy, even though I assumed he was a composite of the gung-ho characters from the Alien franchise. But he is more than made up for by "very nice" Ackerman who would have been a great loss to the RD family. And S8 was certainly worth it's salt to see Hollister back again. I just have to hear the military march music intro to the guys being hauled into the office again to p myself laughing.

Cassandra ep..excellent
    LISTER 'Cos i know *why* you're in bed with him. and I also know that i don't kill him
    KOCHANSKI Aw, but Cassandra promised...

Krytie TV...excellent

5. _Pree_

_Pree_ Skutter

First ever red dwarf episode i did see was BITR... Reason for that is / i believe it is, that Swedish television never shown any other red dwarf then series 8.

(05/06 i started to watch the rest of the show)