Series 9 gone?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SimplePlan2k8, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

So, we've all seen the interview from Doug that says that Series 9 will be retired as a result of BTE. But what does that mean?

My theory is that somehow, when the Dwarfers meet their creator, they destroy Series 9. Maybe in that series they get killed or something? Makes sense to me :-)

2. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Nah right at the end of the last back to earth, we see lister getting out of bed. He walks over to the shower which is mysteriously running, he opens the door and ...*gasp* the entire crew is alive, the entire 20 odd year run of red dwarf has all been a stasis dream.

LoL.

No I think they're trying to throw people off the scent of what actually happens. Robert let something slip on the BBC breakfast that its left open at the end.

They might acually beclassing Back to Earth as Series 9, which would mean we've got series 10 to look forward to.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Actually, I haven't seen this. Where was it?

4. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

Actually I've just noticed the interesting use of words there.

Series 9 will be 'retired'

Thats exactly the term used in Bladerunner to kill the simulants...and we know theres a Bladerunner type theme (the returning to meet their maker to ask for more life, the whole running through glass while being shot at scene)

I wonder how far the parallels go?

5. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

It's on the Dave website Bluey, on the Red Dwarf @ Berkely Square article

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

That's a good theory! I had thought that maybe series 9 is a fictional series that the boys get in the specials, so they get another series after pleading with their creators but it only exists within these shows, it never really gets made. Also had the feeling that these shows will be a sort of one off, and the events of them will never be mentioned again as if it's a different reality....this is series 9 in effect and it will have nothing to do with any future series. Maybe if these break the forth wall, series 10 will be back to the Red Dwarf we know

7. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

I like the theory better than others I've read.

Personally, I'm happy enough to imagine the BTE specials will be substantial enough to rank them as a faux-Series IX and just push on with the numbering from there.

8. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

i recon chap hunting them down is like the bbc chief, tryin to axe the show by killing the crew.

they start by destroying dougs (the creator) ideas and scripts for the films and series 9, then hunts the cast

the ending is the crew winning and asking doug to create more scripts and series so they can live on, which would have to be series 10 because series 9 was cancelled in effect!

9. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

maybe its something that we've known all along and that Rob and Doug are Gods!!

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I've given up on speculation :P

11. talkietoastertimmy

talkietoastertimmy Skutter

I think the series 9 thing is more about all the trouble its takern him to get a series 9. He might comontate in the episode(if he is in it) that he hasnt wanted to stop writing it but because of the lack of funding he has never had chance to make series 9

12. RohedinRD

RohedinRD Skutter

That doesn't explain how he says that they may possibly go on to make a Series 10.

13. talkietoastertimmy

talkietoastertimmy Skutter

Right he said its like how a footballer would retire a shirt.
    If a footballer feels he isnt performing well he might retire the shirt he is wearing kind of a good luck ritual.

So in the same we he feel he hasnt got anywhere trying to get series 9 off the ground that he may just retire that title of series 9 and do a series 10

14. RedDwarf81

RedDwarf81 Skutter

Well all I can say is "WHAT THE SMEG????"