series 9?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrsmith, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

i am wondering if there are any plans on a ninth series and if there is do you think it will be on Dave or go back to BBC

2. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

According what Robert Llewellyn in this interview fom August last year, from what he was told the Back To Earth specials were being made to open the door for another series..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QnRfFAzmRE

Time will tell if this actually comes to fruition.

3. mrsmith

mrsmith Third Technician

do you think the new series will be on Dave or BBC

4. kezzzs

kezzzs Third Technician

If we're placing bets I'm gonna go with the outsider - Living TV. 1000-1 - who's with me? :-)

5. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

Well, I read inside "TV Mag", free inside "The Sun" that Chris Barrie said that "This could be the first of many [new episodes] . If it's well recieved, I'll always want to do more" and in the actual newspaper itself, he said "This could be the start of something big. I think the atmosphere on set was that this is a new beginning, rather than a one-off."

Plus, they don't look like they've aged a day since 1999. The new trailer looks wicked and I cannot wait 'til April 10th. And 11th. And 12th. And 13th.

6. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I was worried about Dave viewing figures at first, (their biggest show recieves 420,000 viewers) but i think this will top that almost certainly and when DVD sales are taken into account worldwide i think a series 9 (hopefully) will happen, afterall many people wanted this show to come back for 9 years so... I look forward to seeing viewing figures and sales.

7. jacksmith

I think (hope) these specials will clear 420,000 viewers. Look at it this way - there are over 100,000 Red Dwarf geeks who went to the trouble of entering a code into the Space Corps website. My reasoning is, for every hardcore fan who'll sign up for a website, there must be quite a few casual viewers who'll watch it too :-)[/quote]

Oh i agree, i too am reassured about the 100,000 who enterd their codes, i wanna know how many people have Freeview in england...

8. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

I hopes Dave system can withstand the millions of viewers it's gonna get next friday at 9pm! I think I can safely say with 99% certainty that a Series nine will follow, god I'l love it. All I can wish is that it'l stand true to the old quality, and not be 70% CGI and bad plots.

Guess Back to Earth will prove this to us, no? Or it can be a warm up time for them, as they haven't written Red Dwarf for ten years now.

And most people will have FreeView now, due to the digital switch over pretty much forcing them to. Anyone who is this late getting freeview can't be a good enough fan of TV.

9. jacksmith

Well i don't think it's possible for Dave to not be able to cope with the ammount of viewers (It's not a web server afterall)

10. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

haha yeah I did realise that after typing. Dur.

11. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm fine with CGI if it's of the quality* we've seen in the latest trailer. As long as the story is good that's the main thing. (For this or future stories.)

*There is an assumption that CGI = bad affects. Not true. There's good CGI and bad just like any other type of modelling and animation technique. That being said, if production has the time and expense to make physical models, I think this is preferable. Not just for us the viewer but it makes life easier for the actors. A lot of that is a matter of adaption and experience though. When we play acted as kids against imaginary monsters, that's essentially what green-screen acting is, after all. Except scripted, and more controlled, obviously.

12. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

Considering repeats of Red Dwarf in January 2009 were getting almost 400k viewers, (and Dave's highest ratings so far have been in the 500-600k bracket), I'd be pretty confident in estimating that the new episodes could see Dave finally break the million mark. Considering it's availability on Freeview which has over 10 million possible viewers and also Sky and Virgin, I thyink Red Dwarf will be Dave's biggest show ever.

If it's advertised more, not just on Dave but maybe on terrestrial (during a Corrie ad or something) or even some billboards and newspaper ads to get it noticed then it can only increase it's chances of doing well. Given that series 8 was pulling in 8 million viewers a week for BBC TWO, then surely this is destined to be one of Dave's biggest broadcasts ever?

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I feel confident that these specials will easily attract the largest audience that Dave has ever known.

Just consider all the publicity the specials have generated in the media with articles in mainstream newspapers and features in magazines. The article in this week's Radio Times (including an appearance by the cast on the front cover) will certainly help.

14. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I myself think there is very little chance that there won't be a sereies IX... because the whole special thing was part of an initiative to show original shows on dave... so sureley if its successful they'll fund a new series...

15. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

That would be to good to be true... If series 9 happens I will think these dimension just become perfect

16. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

But we must remember that a series would be more expensive to make and take more time.
    A large number of people worked for less money on BTE in order to get it off the ground. I'm not sure you'd get them to do it for a series.

17. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

If a Series was guaranteed to be done though, no doubt Dave would get outside funding for it, or the BBc would pick it up, utilize their HD channel. Either way, these are a stepping stone show, done on a lower budget to open the door to Red Dwarf, once again.

18. tripfontane

tripfontane Skutter

Is there to be a series 9???....I think and sincerely hope so, I expect that once Dave/BBC see the sheer volume of viewers i am sure that a 9th series shall be in the pipeline...once it's written that is...

Apparently according to officials the BBC are not interested in series 9 and favour other projects but i also hear that Rob Llewellen overheard execs wanting more Dwarf after the specials....

Any views?....:-D:-D:-D

Cliff

19. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

Where did you hear about Robert overhearing the execs?

20. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

For those who don't have freeview watch Dave on this www.tvcatchup.com it's totally legal and free aslong as u have a tv license. Just sign up and get acces to 18 normal channels when ever you want. The site is still in beta and as been for awhile but i have no problems with it and I use it all the time. it's one of my homepages I'm not sure if it works outside the uk I think you need a UK license. maybe if u know someone in the uk with an account maybe use theirs. I'm not sure how it works