Series I-XI scores

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Slainmonkey, Oct 22, 2016.

1. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Series I
    The End - 7 (BEST)
    Future Echoes - 6
    Balance of Power - 4
    Waiting for God - 5
    Confidence and Paranoia - 2 (WORST)
    Me2 - 7 (BEST)
    Average Score = 5.2

Series II
    Kryten - 5 (WORST)
    Better Than Life - 7
    Thanks for the Memory - 8 (BEST)
    Stasis Leak - 6
    Queeg - 8 (BEST)
    Parallel Universe - 6
    Average Score = 6.6

Series III
    Backwards - 7
    Marooned - 9.5 (BEST)
    Polymorph - 8
    Bodyswap - 7
    Timeslides - 6 (WORST)
    The Last Day - 6 (WORST)
    Average Score = 7.25

Series IV
    Camille - 7 (WORST)
    DNA - 8
    Justice - 8
    White Hole - 9 (BEST)
    Dimension Jump - 9 (BEST)
    Meltdown - 8
    Average Score = 8.1

Series V
    Holoship - 8 (WORST)
    The Inquisitor - 8 (WORST)
    Terrorform - 9
    Quarantine - 9
    Demons and Angels - 9
    Back to Reality - 10 (BEST)
    Average Score = 8.8

Series VI
    Psirens - 7
    Legion - 9
    Gunmen of the Apocalypse - 9
    Emohawk - Polymorph II - 4 (WORST)
    Rimmerworld - 10 (BEST)
    Out of Time - 8
    Average Score = 7.8

Series VII
    Tikka To Ride - 7
    Stoke Me A Clipper - 8 (BEST)
    Ouroboros - 6
    Duct Soup - 7
    Blue - 7
    Beyond A Joke - 5 (WORST)
    Epideme - 7
    Nanarchy - 6
    Average Score = 8.0

Series VIII
    Back in the Red - Part 1 - 6
    Back in the Red - Part 2 - 2
    Back in the Red - Part 3 - 5
    Cassandra - 9 (BEST)
    Krytie TV - 1
    Pete - Part 1 - 6
    Pete - Part 2 - 0 (WORST WORST WORST)
    Only the Good... 6
    Average Score = 5.8

BTE
    Back To Earth - Part 1 - 6
    Back To Earth - Part 2 - 7 (BEST)
    Back To Earth - Part 3 - 6
    Average Score = 6.3

Series X
    Trojan - 6
    Fathers And Suns - 7
    Lemons - 7
    Entangled - 8
    Dear Dave - 5 (WORST)
    The Beginning - 9 (BEST)
    Average Score = 7

Series XI
    Twentica - 7
    Samsara - 7
    Give and Take - 10 (BEST)
    Officer Rimmer - 9
    Krysis - 4 (WORST)
    Can of Worms - 3.5 (WORST)
    Average Score = 6.8

So seires V is highest scoring, which didn't surprise me. Shockingly, VII had an average higher score than VI, probably because I DESPISE emohawk... which of course unsurprisingly means I'm not keen on XI's finale, which is the worst of the bunch with XI.

2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

After a few months of viewing each episode on the series 11 blu-ray 3 times I finally have come up with my ratings.

Series 11
    Twentica - 9
    Samsara - 9
    Give and Take - 10
    Officer Rimmer - 8
    Krysis - 9
    Can of Worms - 8
    Average rating = 8.8

This average rating reflects how I feel it is superior to all the previous Doug-solo series and better than series 1 though not quite up there with series 2-6. But yes for me series 11 was a marked improvement on the already very good series 10 and really strong. Twentica, Samsara, Krysis and especially Give and Take all stand out and even the two least strong are just that: still very decent episodes just not up there in the excellent to amazing bracket. They only came down because Officer Rimmer was a tiny, tiny bit too silly though still really funny and one of the misleads in Can of Worms - the personality tuck machine - was both a weakness and a strength of the script at once in that it had no purpose to the story but because of this it lead to the hilarious and clever Mexican stand-off. But still despite not being perfect still like I said both are very decent episodes.

Twentica is highly successful in it ambitiousness and looks and feels like a series 5 to 6 episode with series 3 (a bit of Backwards) and new Who mixed in too while Samsara is a sensational sci-fi mystery with plenty of intrigue feeling very series 4 to 6. Krysis is one of my favourites too - strong in its well written simplicity and so hilarious.

As for Give and Take the more I watch it I realise that every line is supremely funny apart from one redundant one due to a scene cut (Snacky mentioning Rimmer's old crew mate). Because the script is virtually 100% watertight it is so reminiscent of the show's peak years and for me it is surely the best episode since series 6!

So yes series 11 although it isn't totally up there with the late 1988 to 1993 run it is very high in my estimation and definitely the strongest since 24 years ago.:-D 8)

3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Just an update to my score for Samsara. I can't decide whether it is a 9 or 8.5 to be 100% honest. But saying that because I gave Entangled 8.5 and I remember after first viewing when it was broadcast on Dave I was so excited I couldn't sleep at first and also because it feels pretty genuinely like a series 4 to 6 episode then I will stick with 9 until I watch series 11 again next year when I have a Red Dwarf marathon from start to finish. It is definitely a quality episode and probably superior to Entangled so I will stick with 9 for now but I will have to see whether I still feel the same next year but I suspect I probably will it's just I have over-watched it slightly if you know what I mean.