Series VII and VIII Hate

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ori-STUDFARM, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Now people are probably rolling their eyes here, but I had to start this thread. I've been biting my tongue for too long now! Basically I am sick of reading Series VII and Series VIII hatred in every single thread I seem to click on.

Now everyone is entitled to an opinion about both Series VII and Series VIII. But do you have to write how absolutely and totally smeg you think they were and exactly how much they ruined Red Dwarf in every single thread going? Do you have to constantly spout strong anti VII or VIII venom everywhere on the internet? (It's not just limited to this forum).

I'm not a VII or VIII apologist. There's bits I love. There's bits I hate. And I believe it is the worse Red Dwarf has to offer ...but that is still better than about 99% of any other TV shows out there! But, the reason for my frustrations is not because other peoples opinions differ from my own. It's just that I'm sick of hearing it all the time everywhere I turn. I just don't seem to be able to avoid it. And trust me, I do try and avoid it!

Now on a thread entitled "Is Series VII or VIII Total Smeg", I can accept it. That is the correct place to discuss your love or hatred for VII or VIII. But not on a thread about something else altogether! The latest example is on the "Why didn't Season 9 start were 8 Left off?". A decent enough topic for discussion that doesn't ask for VII or VIII opinions....but we still have a posting
    Well that isn't what was being discussed. It didn't even fit into the flow of the conversation. And also, that isn't a very original point of view. It's been voiced thousands of times already and I'm pig sick of seeing it.

I feel exactly the same with all the anti-George Lucas talk or anti-Star Wars prequels chatter or anti-Crystal Skull drivel or anti-Avatar smeg or anti-Star Wars remastering [insert your own swear here]! If they are the subject of discussion, fine. But why does a discussion about something that is largely considered awful inevitably turn into a torrent of abuse about one of the above. Find something original to compare it to. Instead of jumping on the anti-George Lucas bandwagon....or the anti-Back To earth bandwagon....or the anti-whatever bandwagon!!

Okay...I'm not in the best of moods and I may be over reacting...but it is really getting me down. Try to find your own opinions instead of thinking you are clever by voicing that of the "bandwagon faithful"

Sorry...:eek:ops:

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

So to counteract the hatred some feel for 7 & 8 you start another thread about 7 & 8!!:roll:

3. ori-STUDFARM

Except if you read what's written, the thread isn't here to counter VII and VIII hatred at all. (but in my frustration, I chose a poor thread title) The thread isn't even about VII and VIII...not really. The thread is here to address the need some people have to constantly berate whatever happens to be their current go to "subject of hate". And, more importantly, to constantly do this on threads or topics of discussion that have nothing what-so-ever to do with this "subject of hate" they go to. Being a Red Dwarf site, it does tends to be VII and VIII. But I also include Avatar hate, George Lucas hate, Crystal Skull hate, remastered Star Wars hate, Star Wars prequels hate...the list goes on. This thread is about some individuals constant negativity on certain subjects in threads that seem totally irrelevant.

I used the above example to highlight the latest occurrance of this. The thread was addressing why Series IX didn't follow on from VIII. But that thread was used as another opportunity to have a dig at VII and VIII. The conversation hadn't progressed that way in the least but this random anti VII and VIII comment was posted. Although, in fairness, there could be deemed a link I suppose. Poor example maybe.

I personally am really cheesed off with constantly hearing and reading the same "anti-everything" (not a dig at a forum member here) comments from the same individuals on every single thread they comment on. And no matter how I try to avoid these negatives, they seem to crop up everywhere...and often from the same individuals.

I used the example in the first post as an example of an "anti-whatever" comment on an unrelated thread . I wasn't trying to have a dig at you personally. And I'm not aware of you constantly writing "anti-thoughts" on a variety of other threads. Sorry if it seemed like you had been singled out.

It isn't even just this site that has got to me. It's the whole darned internet. It's Facebook. It's movie podcasts I listen to. It's non-movie podcasts I listen to. It's the multitude of Forums I visit. It's blog comments...It's...everything and it's everywhere!! It's just really getting to me. How long needs to pass before people can criticise a movie without having to mention Indy IV? How long before people can make a negative comment about a director without everyone verbally attacking George Lucas...**sigh**

You know what. I don't even know if there is a problem with the internet.....it's probably just a problem with me. I assumed somebody else must be feeling the same way to a degree....**shrugs** But there we go...

4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

The newbie's clearly sharper than a bag of drawing pins. You'll never stop folk bringing their dislikes for series 7 and 8 and BTE to any discussion. All you've done is given them another place to waffle the same tedious guff as they do on just about every smegging thread in this conference. I'm going to do the same. As I've said in many places before, I'm steadily warming to series 7, though it's my least favourite of the pre-Dave series, I think series 8 is excellent, inventive, hilarious Red Dwarf, though I'm aware I'm in the minority, and I regard Back To Earth as barely acceptable, barrel-scraping, but well intentioned drivel.

5. ori-STUDFARM

To be honest, it isn't just a small gripe. It's something that has been wearing me down for months now and is really ruining my "web-surfing" experiences... I suppose I was hoping others might be feeling the same way.

To be fair, if there's something I'm hating on, nothing gives me more delight than constantly bad mouthing it...But I don't seem able to just shrug it off as a difference of opinion.

6. ori-STUDFARM

Tell you what. I take it back about the poor example in my first post. Simulant37 currently has 14 posts. Of which we have 7 negative jibes about BtE or VII or VIII on unrelated threads...This is the problem I currently have with the internet.

Thats 50% of his posts are just bad mouthing either VII, VIII or BtE. It's nearly every Red Dwarf related posting he's made. Joining a Red Dwarf Forum, insisting you are a long time fan and then spending a significant time bad mouthing it isn't a good idea. It's not trolling as such....just disrespectful to anybody who has a differing opinion. I think there lies my problem with regards to the internet as a whole. Tolerating difference in opinions and points of view is becoming more and more rare. It's really becoming a rude place to be.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I had assumed that Simulant37 was just Anti-everything under a new username.

But in his/her defence, if you've had that kind of negative feeling towards a show for some time with nobody to talk to about it and then you suddenly join a community full of fans of the show then it is probably natural that you are going to use this as your opportunity to sound off. I was probably as guilty of this as anyone when I joined the forum as it felt like something I could finally get off my chest. Maybe what we need here is a thread called "lie down on this sofa and tell us about your series VIII". We can keep it in the garbage pod and people can use it as their punching bag until they've calmed down and are ready to discuss other things. Now and again one of us can look in on it and say things like "Oh I know...terrible isn't it...do go on." without really paying attention to it. :lol:

8. ori-STUDFARM

I think it might just be me....being hyper-sensitive or something. Not something I was aware I had a problem with before. Going soft in my old age...

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Stop cyberstalking me. :x

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

:lol:

Simulant37 hasn't said anything that long time, regular users of the forum haven't felt the need to state at almost every opportunity. But, you're not alone in your annoyance, at least not entirely. I get a bit tired of going to read new posts in a thread about something interesting, only to find myself thinking, 'Oh yes. This was one of those threads that became a discussion about why the later series weren't very good.' But you won't stop it happening. People will say how they feel. It's a public forum.

11. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

This. Well except the warming to seven part (Ace Rimmer is about all I can stand that year) and the Back to Earth thing (I think after such a long gap the entire production had to get back into the swing of things and that story allowed them to do that, warmed them up nicely for the bar to be raised in series ten. If they'd just gone straight into series Ten, well we might have the same problem!
    BTE had its moments though, and annoyingly its best scene was left on the cutting room floor! )

Series 8 for me is 3 good eps, one great ep then it kind of falls off a cliff a bit.
    Still the child in me really loves the Dinosaur stuff and it provided some great gags for the crew (You're Finished/bye/whole hog)
    I do have more of a tolerance for sillyness than most of whatever fandom I'm in tbh,.
    I was about the only one posting on the Doctor Who forum on Digital Spy in favour of a fifty foot cyber king stomping around victorian London, I just thought it was cool, ok!)

What really made series 8 for me was a bigger role for Mac Macdonald, I just find him that hilarious, on the DVD interviews he's great too.
    Plus however trite the whole "He's standing behind me isn't he?" stuff might be, it still really makes me laugh to hear Rimmer insult his fat bastard-ness within his earshot!

Whatever you may think about series 8 you can tell the crew were having a great time and I think that comes across on screen.
    IMO obviously :-p

Shame they couldn't get Petersen back though. But since it was barely even a cameo role I cant blame Mark "doing well in The Fast Show thank you very much" Williams for turning it down.
    (Didn't Selby leave Eastenders for that? Ouch!)

I do love series 8 but I reallllllly wish it wasn't set in the prison. (even that plot device seemed pointless when they were busting them out any chance they got. They should've just had them confined to quarters but forced to be canaries/captains secret missions as punishment tbh)

12. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

I quite like series 3.

13. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

all things grow and evolve. all things. i enjoyed how the show moved forward when chris left. sure it was different but i think you people are over doing it here. how long are you gonna hold the grudge man, let's see series 7 aired in what '97? smeg fellas let it go. or learn to meditate. the hate is palatable.

and series 8 is just as funny to me as the others are, i love the recall humor.

it saddens me to see these threads all the time. you nitpicky freaks you

14. ori-STUDFARM

It was never a thread set up for the criticising of VII and VIII though...it was set up to have a go at the constant VII and VIII hate. But, in hind sight, I can see why this one has at least turned that way-I chose a very bad title for the thread!

15. thecogre

thecogre First Technician

i am glad you didn't take offence at my post it was not to be take that way. soooo cool that we can be civil here, such a rarity on the internets

16. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

Hi guys I'm a newbie to the forum, but long time fan of Red Dwarf. I have to say that series 8 is (for me) - RIGHT up there with the high points of series 1-6. In fact, it is probably in my TOP THREE series of RD ever. I am perplexed at people who seem to loathe it so much. For me, it was a more expansive (bigger cast, bigger production values) series than previously, and had some episodes that again, for me - were up there with my all time favourites. I simply adore Krytie TV, the 3 part Back In The Red, and Cassandra. I like the fact that there's a playing to the gallery approach from the cast at times, and I think it adds to the warmth of the series, in terms of it feels more like I am a part of the show as a fan, than maybe previously. I think series 8 brought back what series 1 and 2 had going for it so much, which was the 'Porridge in space' sort of vibe. Rimmer and Lister, two guys who annoy the hell out of each other, but need each other to stop going insane - trapped in a cell, in a ship, in space - it brought that right back to the forefront of the show. That meant more scheming again, more neuroses being aired and just the tension was back up to scratch which Dwarf has always had! So yeah, I love series 8 it's one of the best, and if EVER I am thinking which DVD to watch - it's always a toss up between 3 & 8! (maybe 1&2) (for a quick episode).:eek:

17. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Deja vu ;-)

18. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

I can easily, and always have, seen the flaws with series VII and VIII (also in my opinion series VI suffers from similar problems,) but Red Dwarf sets its own bar so high that when it doesn't reach it we forget that it's still far better than just about anything else on TV. Sub-par Red Dwarf is still excellent TV, and that's why I still very much love series VII and VIII.

19. SoC00L_L

SoC00L_L Third Technician

Wow... I gotta say I have never really been to many forums & haven't really spoken to many red dwarf fans.. this is killing me. I think series VII & VIII were brilliant. It wasn't exactly the old Red Dwarf that we were used to.. but it was still awesome. It was funny & actually the biggest difference from other series is a better camera work in series VII & a better video quality in series VIII.

20. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Ori-STUDFARM wrote:
    Im going to spread the positivity....I love series VIII and also series VII but in that order. Think about it, if there wasnt a series VII and VIII there probably wouldnt be a BTE or X. The show would have been canned back in 1993! :shock: