Series VII and VIII Hate

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ori-STUDFARM, Feb 4, 2012.

1. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Why this?!? :?

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Because, like you, Victor Meldrew is a (Sometimes quite funny) miserable old git :P

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

You did? I wasn't notified about this.

..I'm kidding. I'd like to think (in my poor deluded state) that I'm everybody's friend on here. Even those who may disagree with some of my views, or get a bit tired of my terribly short and non descriptive posts..;-)

My post was only meant in a jokey way. I'd been holding back on posting that for a while now and just couldn't resist it any longer. You've gotta' admit it's just too easy a connection to make what with your forum name and whatnot.

But yeah, seriously, no genuine offence was intended. Also, it was purely coincidence that another forum member posted something in the same vain at pretty much the same time as I posted mine.

So anyway, group hug, everyone? [​IMG]

4. simulant37

Old?!? :x

5. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

I listed out my problems with S7 in the latest S7 thread, but I quite enjoyed S8. Rimmer was back, back into the live audience/sitcom format, bright, cheerful, energetic, Holly was back, it looked great, some really funny setpieces and jokes, I thought they learnt their mistakes from S7 and applied the best aspects (the set lighting etc) into S8. I wished they'd continued after S8 instead of waiting in vain for a movie and did two more seasons in this format. I was dismayed to see BTE return to the 'S7' drama format but I'm really excited to hear SX will be setup like RD8! Can't wait :-D

A small point, but I should mention that even though the initial bunk-bed scene in BITR was very funny, it did ruin Rimmer's return to the show. I wasn't on any fansites/the internet back then so it spoiled his return a little, seen a few minutes later.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I liked both series VII or VIII. I thought VIII the weakest though.

Then again I watch Red Dwarf as much for the stories as the comedy.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think we're in a minority, but I do too. As well as the characterisation.

8. simulant37

"season"?!? Anyway, as far as I know series 10 isn't set up like 8, there is no silly Red Dwarf full of humans etc. :x

9. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Just to let you know, Doug has been seen calling it a Season on Twitter (on at least one occasion). Looks like the American terminology may win out eventually.

Personally, I hated the US terminology. Then a US friend of mine pointed out the difference for them between a Season and a Series. Season is obviously an individual years run. Whereas a series incorportaes the entire show. So a Season finale is a much lesser deal than a Series finale. And, as much as I hate to admit this, it does kind of make sense...He won me round to the yankee way of thinking

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

They still can't spell "favourite" though!! :-D

11. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Yeah, because that was the only difference between series seven and eight. It wasn't like eight was shot in front of live audience, tried to shift from comedy-drama to more comedy, bring back the Lister/Rimmer bunkroom scenes, or anything like that. Which I think is more the point, of the newer stuff being less like the seventh series in terms of dramatic angle and cinematic shooting style, something which came across in Back to Earth.

And season = series, interchangable terms. Not worth jumping on someone about.

12. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

You won't be happy Sim because I am going to have to agree with you again, I would not be even giving the new series a shot if it seemed even remotely like series 8. No, it's my understanding it's meant to be more like series 5 and 6 with some small dashes of 1 and 2. That sound appealing to me but I think that this time they will be trying to avoid dancing CGI Blue Midget's, giant curry traps and jokes about a T-Rex's bodily fluids.

13. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Are you aware that the series eight formula was meant to be more like these early days? A return to confined quarters, trapping Rimmer and Lister together (this time in the scope of the brig rather than just alone on a spaceship). Bringing back ideas like the bunkrooms and trying to recapture that classic dynamic of the pair, and so on.

So that means, after a fashion, your statement describes the plan for series eight.

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I get what series 8 TRIED to do, and a few mildly amusing bunk scenes were the best of a bad lot (other then a singular decent episode Cassandra) but series 8 probably brought more changes to the formula then series 7 ever did. It altered the entire format to the point that it ruined the entire premise of the show. It degraded Red Dwarf into juvenile farcical humour with robot penis' and "Uh oh Captain Hollister angry" jokes. Oh and lets not forget the over drawn out multi-parter episodes......series 8 was far more different then it was even remotely similar to the show's glory days........while change can be a good thing, it worked against the shows entire concept.