Series X Confirmed

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Chooky88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

Well, as a long time Lurker and winner of a fan commentary.

Let me be the first to say

BLOODY AWESOME MATE!

I looove the idea of it going back to being character based. I am also happy that Back to earth was an experiment, like it or not, BTE, and series 7 and 8 (Which I personally loved) gave some lessons and I just know Series X is going to be brilliant.

I've been a fan Since 1990, and regularly check this site but hardly log on as I am too stupid to change my random generated password!

GO Doug and the LADS!!!!! Can't wait til September 2012 (Unless thw world blows up ;-)

Jason Mercer

2. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Ah, official confirmation at last, yay! :-D

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think character based is good, but I do hope that every episode won't be set on the ship ala Series 1 and that there is some adventure, etc. Of course 'character based' and 'good plot' are not mutually exclusive.

I like a good monster, and sci fi effects, etc, so I guess I was hoping to see how modern technology would render that kind of thing. I understand this will be done on a budget so effects will probably need to be kept to a minimum but a bit of that stuff would be great, if only for one episode.

Of course if the stories are well written and good, that will go a long way even if excursions are kept to a bare minimum. If this series does well, they may gain more money to push into the next anyway.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ah, so you're the Aussie policeman on the Back To Reality fan commentary? Welcome to the board. That makes four fan commentary people that I know of who have posted on the forum.

Some of my thoughts about the news update:

• Great to see that each episode will be getting a full 30 minutes rather than the 23 each that Back To Earth had. With its intricate story lines Red Dwarf episodes need a full half hour.
    • So since this is officially series 10 is everyone going to start referring to Back To Earth as series 9 now? It still feels strange for me to do so. The Radio Times, incidentally, referred to Back To Earth as series 9 back when it was first aired.
    • If Holly does return it's almost definitely going to be Hattie, whom I've never liked in the role. Despite that I probably won't mind too much as it'll give the series more of a series 3 to 5 feel that I've always been eager for Doug to go back to. And I'd like to see the return of Talkie Toaster...

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Haven't posted in bloody ages!

Just been checking to see if the new series happens and now it has! Great that it will be proper 30 minute episodes. It says a lot of my dwarf love (love of the series Red Dwarf - not a dwarf fetish) that I'm really excited... the last time I had my faith in the comedic genius of the show justified, was 14 years ago when Tikka To Ride aired.. I hope in the intervening years between series 8 and back to earth, that Doug put aside some great jokes and ideas (possibly for the ill fated movie) which can now be used and at least have one last great series. maybe two. Or three.. :-D

6. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

I just want to say:

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

That is all!

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I'm still not sure about calling "Back To Earth" Series 9. My understanding is that BtE is simply an Easter special which was broadcast in 3 parts, but is actually a single entity and not a series. Series 9 is obviously referred to as the best Red Dwarf series ever within an hallucination that takes place in BtE. Even though it is referred to within the hallucination, the events that happened to the characters during series 9 were real. Lister being informed by Kryten that Kochanski had been sucked through an air lock etc...

I think certain events that were supposed to have occurred during series 9 will be mentioned within series 10 (or X if you prefer). But 9 will never actually exist as a physical series. Labelling it as the best series ever in BtE means that 9 just has too much to live up to.

I'm quite happy to have a mystical series 9 whose events are mentioned and referred to, but it never actually existed. It certainly makes Red Dwarf unique. I can't think of any other shows off hand that skip a whole series. :?

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I prefer to think of Back To Earth as non cannon and having nothing to do with the story of the other series at all. If it had a place in the continuity of the other series it would sort of ruin the whole thing for me. But that's just me.

9. GuffyGuy

GuffyGuy Second Technician

I prefer to think of Back to Earth as non cannon because it just wasn't funny enough.

10. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

Hey Bluey, yeah thats me :-) Mr photogenioc LOL!!!!

I'd just like to clarify I loved Series 7 and 8. (Especially 8, as like Doug I rate Mac McDonald) But not BTE.

BTE was a strange experience and yes, it wasn't funny enough, but I didn't hate it either because it was stil RD and I have learnt to forgive Craig Charles for making me fly from Perth Australia to London and him being sick on the day I did the commentary! Yes I paid my own way too, but it was still worth the trip :-)

I'm always looking for the silver lining and that's why BTE to me is a learning curve. Something to put RD back on track as so many years have passed things have to change a bit. (Like my hairline)

As for calling it Season X not 9 I reckon it's a good call. Clean start, new series and as I know Series X is going to brilliant when I do my series run thoughs I'll probably skip my BTE DVD's and go straight from 8 to X.

J

11. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Yeah I agree. Well a couple of bits were funny, but the worst bit was the coronation street bit. That just went to far. It didn't just break the 4th wall, it blasted it into component atoms...

after that it can never be part of the red dwarf universe we see in series to me.

12. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    And this news is good enough to eat too. Eur, I'm just a bit hungry in case you haven't noticed. So please don't mention toppings or use the can opener, k. LOL :shock:

But the question is when will us Canadians and other North Americans get to see it on the ol boob tube like we use to?

13. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I seem to recall Doug at DJ saying soon after it's aired here. How long he means by "soon after" is anyone's guess.

14. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

Great news! I'll always be a fan of the show, and I cannot wait until 2012! Although it is like over a year away:!:

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

But the show didn't break the 4th wall, it only ever (strongly) teased that it was doing so.

After the ending I can't see how people can still think that the fourth wall was really broken...unless they happen to live in a version of Earth where the Tyrell building dominates London and the Red Dwarf fan club is run by Reg Warf.

Just because the hallucination happened to contain elements similar to our own universe doesn't mean the show broke the 4th wall. As far as I'm concerned the only walls destroyed in BTE where those in Pricesmashers.

16. smeh_1990

smeh_1990 Skutter

Yeah, same here, though I'm not a great fan of series 7, but 8 I found hilarious. I've not watched BTE again since it was on TV, but I remember thinking it wasn't great. I'm looking forward to the new series though. And it'll be another DVD for the collection!

17. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'll be living in france next year. hmmm

18. GulDukat

GulDukat Third Technician

As I wrote in the BTE thread, I think that the ending of BTE is the perfect segway to series X.

Here is my wishlist:

1. Keep the look and feel of BTE--i.e., make it the four core characters alone on Red Dwarf.
    2. Bring back Holly--preferably Norm. If not, get Hattie, or another actor.
    3. Wrap up the loose ends from VIII. Why is Rimmer a hologram again? How was the ship saved?
    4. Bring back a studio audience.
    5. Bring back Grant

19. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

all of the above, except clarifying any plots/story/inconsistencies

I love the idea that they can just do what they like with the excuse "it happened in series 9, which we did not film"

also it drives people mad, the kind of people who think that continuity is in anyway important (which it ain't)

20. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Two things:

1. Series IX is technically Back to Earth, so it was filmed and they can't just dispose of it like that.

2. Continuity is usually rather important, although for Dwarf it can easily be said it isn't. After all, the show has plenty of contradictions and inconsistencies, which are a part of what make it so good and give us things to talk about during the endless expanse of nothing new happening.