Series X Confirmed

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Chooky88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. GulDukat

GulDukat Third Technician

I think that it would be insulting to the fans and to the integrity of the show if they don't explain what happens at the end of "Only the Good."

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I have to disagree. There are plenty of examples of things that were never explained properly and inconsistencies in the overall narrative of the show, and these things seem to be generally accepted without harming the integrity or insulting the fanbase.

By the time the new series airs it will have been fourteen years or so since the last full series and that contentious scene. Isn't it about bloody time we start looking forward rather than getting bogged down in looking behind? Especially now we actually have something to look forward to.

3. GulDukat

Devoting an entire show to explaining what happened might not be a good idea--but maybe just a few lines. Just a brief explanation.

4. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

:lol:

see what I mean ?

5. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

YEEE...etc....EEES!

I feel I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Aside from "do a cool effect involving Rimmer's holographic nature".

6. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

I can be optimistic about Series X and still want a resolution to the VIII cliffhanger thank you very much. :P

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

we couldnt get a flashback to explain what happens after the series 8 cliffhanger because the cast are noticably older, so chances are it will just be mentioned what happens

maybe that could be explained in a graphic novel one day

otherwise i hope doug dont mention the past in every episode in some way, as 1 to 7 rarely did that

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Almost every episode of Red dwarf contains references to the past.

It's how we know about Rimmer's brothers and Lister's adoption. It's how we know about the Hammond Organ Owner's Society and Lister wanting to call himself Nutkin. It's how we know that Rimmer once attempted the mesma stare and Lister once drank a yard of vindaloo sauce.

Now if you're talking about back references to old episodes, sure, there's a bit less of that in one to five (six is, I'd say, where the shift came). But what happened after Only the Good isn't something that happened in an episode, it happened in the gaps. Just as Rimmer trying to insert a fridge into Lister happened in a gap.

I'd argue that conversations about events after Only the Good would be totally in-keeping with the show's style - so long as it's for the purposes of comedy and character rather than leaden explanation to please a minority who feel insulted (!) by a lack of cliffhanger resolution.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think in terms of character development its good thing, infact its a very good thing

but i speak of references like mentioning the OM song in krytie tv, or the mention of Rimmer world in BTE3, which seem like they were there for no good reason but for fan nostalgia, but overall they seem forced and out of place

another example is bringing back the luck virus for series 8, it had been done already and this time it didnt really have anything fresh to bring to the series apart from a quick fix and again nostalgia :-(

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well I hugely disagree on the luck virus - it was used for a quick comic set-piece in Quarantine but had a massive part to play in the main narrative of Back in the Red - but I also dispute the aim being primarily 'nostalgia'.

But I agree that it doesn't always work. I'm not keen on the Rimmerworld of Om song lines at all. Yet sometimes it has a terrific effect - say, the Psiren Kochanski saying Lister has twin sons, cocking her gun and calling out to "Jim, Bexley". Brrr.

11. GulDukat

I am very optimistic about X, if BTE is any indication.

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

The people behind red dwarf KNOW what they're doing..

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

we will find out if thats true young harry

14. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Just popping out of the rock I've been under to say

Woooohooooo!

That is all.

15. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I've always wondered what was under that rock!:-)

16. popcorn34

popcorn34 Third Technician

This made me so hyped and happy when I first heard about it on the site.
    I heard the rumours millions of times that a new series is going to be made but for it to be confirmed on the main site just made my day.

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its nice to know doug is currently writing the scripts :-)

18. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Great to have confirmation finally, the anticipation and knowing we will have to wait till next year to see it kills me but patience is a virtue I guess.

19. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I would like to see the end of series VIII explained by Holly at the start of series X in the same way he used to in series I and II. Just do it very very briefly.

"This is a distress call from the mining ship RD...etc
    then explain what happened in a sentence or two
    then "...other than that, everything is normal"

Something short, informative and a nod to the early series. That would be brilliant.

RAGE

20. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

+1 on that idea, I like it.