Series X Confirmed

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Chooky88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

My preferred way for Doug to explain the various lingering questions would be to avoid big explanations and just to drop the odd line in here and there over the course of the six episodes.

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm hoping to be to engrossed in what's actually going on to care about years-old questions.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

maybe im the only one who it doesnt bother that much what happened after series 8, as i aint that fond of series 8 anyway and dont feel it was taking itself seriously enough anyway

in a way its just nice to get back to the basics, 4 of them on red dwarf looking towards new adventures that hopefully not self reference so much

4. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Agree!

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well, I'm hoping to be engrossed in the proceedings too, which I why I'd like the odd line dropped in here and there over the course of the series to tie up the loose ends rather than a huge explanation. I just feel as though there's a bit of a hole that needs filling with regards to what occurred between the end of Only The Good and the beginning of Back To Earth, and I won't be entirely happy until it is.

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Although I like the idea of a Holly introduction like in series 1 and 2 or even an odd line dropped in throughout series X. I really don't think there is any need at all to clear up any loose ends. We already know they survived somehow and saved Red Dwarf as 9 years later we got BTE, there is no need to explain how that was done we just know it was.

7. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

BTE and X actually both follow directly from series 5. In keeping with the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, the single point of divergence here is losing Red Dwarf. They never did that. 6,7,8 didn't happen. Not in this "new universe". This satisfies the Rimmer question (which one is he?... etc). Series 8 cliffhanger? That didn't happen now. Not in this "new universe". So there's no need to explain that away. The only thing that requires explanation is where did Kochanski come from in this "new universe"?

:lol:

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure I'd ever want to sacrifice series six just to make series 8 not have happened. I'd be quite happy to stop after Ouroboros though.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i say keep series 6 but add the original ending back on to last episode where rimmer saves the crew and its hinted that they aint far behind red dwarf, and then go directly to red dwarf X :-)

and series 7 and 8 were just a dream lister had :-)

hmm maybe keep tikka to ride also :-)

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

It's true that Tikka To Ride was far and away the best episode in series 7 or 8. Yes it had huge plot holes and inconsistencies, but it was fun and Jeff K :-) shooting himself was a brilliant idea.

Oh, and maybe keep in Duct Soup - just for me (and the 3 other people who think it was good)

RAGE

11. bigtimedwarfer

bigtimedwarfer Second Technician

Make that four other people.

Though I actually liked some of series 8 as well.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I never really used to like Tikka To Ride and Stoke Me A Clipper. The rest of series 7 I love. Episodes 3 to 8 are regularly ones that I choose when I decide to watch a random episode. However, I am beginning to understand the charms of those first two episodes, in particular Tikka To Ride, but I still hate that Lee Harvey Oswald slapstick sequence.

Duct Soup is one of my all-time favourite episodes, but it's always had its critics. It's hated by millions but loved by half a dozen of us.

13. cc4rhu

cc4rhu Skutter

Series 7 was ok but I loved 8.

Anyway I hope for the new series there are no references to Dallas. It was getting old when tikka came out for me.

Cc

14. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Older than a Jeremy Beadle reference in series 8? :shock:

Actually I'd just like to add that aside from Ouroboros I'd be happy for Blue to be the natural stopping point of canon. Omitting Duct Soup along the way.

15. Nirvana_Crane

Nirvana_Crane Third Technician

I just wanted to state how happy I am to hear about the confirmation of Series X! :-D

16. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

So excited. Can't wait :-D

17. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Looking forward to series X as well!

It'll probably never be the perfect Red Dwarf series, as indeed none of the others will, but Doug Naylor has plenty of times to craft some great scripts. Personally, I'd like to see a loose story arc to cover all six episodes, e.g. Lister's search to find the now alive Kochanski - you keep her as part of the show but still retain the element of the core group of four.

Additionally, it would be great to have Holly back, plus Talkie Toaster, and even some appearances by Ace Rimmer and Duane Dibbley, although done well. Other things - virtual reality, polymorphs - could be good, but again, they shouldn't be done to please fans so much as to be part of decent storylines.

But the studio audience and the models are a good step. If you could get Rob Grant back (highly unlikely, if impossible), it would be even better, but I'm content with new Dwarf, so long as it's done well.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

You can say it didn't break the 4th wall but it had the chaaracters arriving in Coronation Street. Not a soap opera LIKE coronation street, but actual bloody corrie! With Craig Charles...with a TV show called REd Dwarf... with a channel called Dave. It's all very well inseting some differeces into the reality but even shows supposed to be based on real life events change things.

The whole point was at the end you're supposed to think .. oh it's not really a tv show, I'M the fictional character. Though obviously not true, what a clever idea. Except it was actually a really cheesy idea.

The Corrie bit runied the whole show for me. If it had been a show like corrie etc, it could have been good because it would have required SOME creativity in spoofing the show that Craig works on. Instead it was just the actual show... so just reality copied. Lazy and despite saying it was not our reality it did blur reality too much because you WERE watching the set of coronation street and seeing craig as craig.

19. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

Well it's not nixed actually. It still occurred in a diff dimension. But I understand your point. It was just one way they could go...

20. nine-eleven-four

nine-eleven-four Skutter

Yay New series

*does happy dance *