Series X Confirmed

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Chooky88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

So we won't see Lister marry Prince William?
    wait.. what?!

2. Trunkneck

Trunkneck Skutter

I'm just happy they decided to get back to basics on character based scripts because it allows the actors to do their thing. Then it just follows to say we love all the actors and said talent being brought to the table. Hopefully this all equates to a great 9th season.
    looking forward to it.
    From the colonies

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I take your points but I think you're wrong to say that at the end the conclusion we are left with is that we are the fictional characters. As I said, we don't live in the fictional Earth created by hallucination so we arn't the "poor suckers" referred to in the closing monologues (although some of the humour obviously plays on a certain "but for the grace of God..." type of closeness that is supposed to be a nodding wink at the audience).

I wasn't a fan of the corrie parts either but to suggest that they should have been replaced with a fictional soap is one that, in my opinion, forgets just how effective the corrie scenes were at the outset in making people believe that the show really was going to break the fourth wall. If everything in the hallucination universe had been fictionalised it would have been too obvious by far what was going on. As it was, the show fooled the vast majority of the fanbase before it pulled the rug out from under them. That's quite an achievment when so many of that fanbase now moan about it being merely a rehash of a a well known previous episode.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

With the exception of the fact I liked the Corrie stuff* I think that's a great point. It's only really by the end that we realise that the plot shares a lot with Back To Reality. Although there had been little clues all along, it wasn't really until we saw the pyramid that we realise this really isn't meant to be our world, and the Corrie stuff really helped with the earlier misdirection.

*I felt the part where they drove into the street fell a bit flat. Not the fabulously car, just that whole 'landing sequence' scene. I wasn't clear whether the characters, as 'future folk' were actually treating the car as they would a shuttle craft, or if they were just mucking about. I think the latter makes more sense as cars exist in their future. (That is the world in which Lister and Rimmer originate.) It's the sort of gag I might find amusing if I were sitting in the car with them (not that I'd fit) but as a joke to watch, I didn't think it worked very well. The rest of the Corrie stuff, I thought was great though. Some of it laugh out loud funny.

That's one thing I find interesting about the episode. Many of us can find parts that we dislike, but often or not it's different things. A strong suggestion to me it was rather successful all in all.

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I would have to agree with that. I too enjoyed the corrie scenes, yet the carbug entering onto the set was my least favorite part of the whole show. It just feels very forced to me.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

7. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Yeah corrie landing scene was awful. Worries me a bit that material of that calibre was able to get onto screen.
    Maybe it was just the lack of time available to work with but for new series i hope there's a willingess to challenge material.

8. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

Plus I think the music used just before that scene is awful...and the Swallow scene before that just slows things down I think and doesn't serve any real purpose. Certainly some of the weakest sections of the special imo and I think there should have been a lot better quality control.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i like to think its doug being rusty after 9 years, but can only hope

10. Rachel_Morgan

Rachel_Morgan Skutter

so is RDX the set up to Back to Earth? As it says that seasons 9 & 10 have been and gone before we catch up with Red Dwarf again and things get all wibbly with the euphoria squid

11. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

No, that was just a joke. Red Dwarf X will be set after BTE which is now considered Red Dwarf IX.

12. candyflip

candyflip Skutter

Can't wait for the next series! I'd say it needs a laughter track though, mixed/balanced well together with the dialogue like in the series' of old. The camera work, effects and editing all seem a little too modern and slick from series 8 onwards, it's all too superficial and kinda detracts... Would be amazing if they used the old cameras, mics and sets, and kept the next series lofi and intimate like the best of the Dwarf!!

13. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I may be wrong, but presumably, it will be filmed with those lovely Red cam's that were purchased for the BtE.

As for Back To Earth being called series 9. Is that now official? My take is that Red Dwarf series 9 doesn't actually exist and never will. Only as a fictional series that is mentioned within BtE itself.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't know about that, but I've started referring to it on the forum as series 9.

The Radio Times did actually refer to Back To Earth as series 9 way back when it was first aired.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I wouldn't say that BtE is called 'Series 9', but I would say it is the ninth series.

That probably looks like I'm splitting hairs, but I think it's relevant. It is the ninth series to be filmed (technically a mini-series, but it qualifies as a series in the literal meaning of the word, nonetheless). 'Back To Earth' is perfectly fine as a title but any series following would start with 10, or X.

16. ori-STUDFARM

I have a few mates (including my ScutterCast co-host) who insist on calling BtE series 9. I'm not saying they're wrong, but to me, it just doesn't seem right...and I'm definitely not sure about taking the Radio Times word for it :-)

As for calling it the ninth series which happens to be a mini series. I don't think of BtE as a series at all. Mini or otherwise. I see it as a feature length special which (much to it's own detriment) just happened to be broadcast over three nights. Doug said on one of the DVD commentaries that he shot it as a single feature.(or at least, I'm pretty sure hie did...) And it plays so much better when viewed as a single entity.

To me, Series 9 was mentioned within BtE and referred to as the best series of the show ever. Everyone thinks so etc...And for me, the best thing about that gag is the fact that there isn't actually a series 9 and NEVER will be. I can look at BtE as a feature length special to replace the missing series 9. But until we hear differently, I can never actually call it series 9.

That may seem a little pedantic of me....in fact, I know it's VERY pedantic of me. But it is something I feel strongly about. I've argued this (always in a tongue in cheek friendly manner) a few times with fellow Dwarf fans and not once been swayed to think any differently. :?

17. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

It will be filmed in HD (I asked Doug on twitter) so presumably they will continue to use the Red One.

I have started calling 'Back to Earth' Series IX.

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I prefer that version too.

The fact remains that it was broadcast as a series of 3 episodes though, and each do have a different feel to them.

19. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Just imagine in about 20 years time when someone discovers Red Dwarf for the first time. They'll start buying the DVD's from series 1 and work their way up to series 15 (which is when it will end ;-) ). When they get to series 8 they'll panic because there's no series 9, but there is a series 10! They'll try and find series 9 but just get vague replies all over the internet saying something like "Yes, I recall someone saying it was the best series of RD ever, but you can't get it on DVD, and it's never going to be released".

Ooooo, the drama!!!

I'd say call BTE as "Series 9 - BTE" Otherwise you never know the havoc that it could cause......

RAGE

20. ori-STUDFARM

But what if Doug one day decides to film a series that fills the gap between BtE and Series VIII