Series X Confirmed

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Chooky88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

But what if Doug one day decides to film a series that fills the gap between BtE and Series VIII

2. shireknight

shireknight Third Technician

I'm excited to see that a new series of Dwarf has been commissioned *yay* but I have to admit I'm completely gutted that it won't be a continuation of series eight because I love Chloe's Kochanski and Captain Hollister who I assume won't now be in the new series either :-(

Did they say why it won't be a continuation, is it because series 8's Red Dwarf set would just be too expensive for a non-mainstream channel to build?

As for Back to Earth I don't really class it as a part of Red Dwarf I see it more of a special made for comic relief or Children in need.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

What if he elects to write what happened between Series II and III? What on Earth would we do then?!?!
    :-D

4. ori-STUDFARM

I'm sure we'll get the conclusion of Series VIII in one form or another. Maybe in flashback form....maybe in the dialogue itself. Like in BtE where we learned that prior to BtE,Kochanski couldn't cope with Lister's drinking and had left. Kryten knew Lister wouldn't be able to cope with her leaving him and so informed him (whilst Lister was in the bath) that she had died in an accident.

As for BtE. I agree that I think of it as a stand alone special. (I've previously stated why I don't think of it as a series. Not even a mini series) But it is definitely a part of the characters lives within the show and a part of the shows cannon (That dreaded word!). I don't think of it like the Comic Relief or Children In Need sketches that Doctor Who put out.

He did elect to write that....He put it in that crawl at the start of series III. :-)

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I thought that was the joke!:?

6. ori-STUDFARM

What? The crawl or Andrew's reply to me or my response to Andrew?

Because I think all 3 are meant as joke answers....at least. I hope they all were :-)

7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I thought Andrew was making a joke about explaining events between series, and you hadn't got it. Soz!:eek:ops:

8. ori-STUDFARM

The joys of text based responses :-)

9. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

I hope you guys will broadcast with laughing tracks, I loved that a lot!

10. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

And please the 27 people who care, annoy the rest of the audience with convoluted explanations who don't. He won't do that. Doug had explained already, he will explain it, just not straight away with the first 10 minutes talking about how a cliffhanger from 13 years ago was resolved.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think its safe to say doug will never put the events of what happened after series 8 on screen, because given the cast have obviously aged it would look silly

it will probably be explained though

and tbh even if the cast hadnt aged and doug had made series 9 years ago, you can bet he probably would still jump ahead and not have a direct continuation because the ending was abit of a mess

12. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

Er... Watch it?
    or indeed read it - if t'were not filmed.

I don't think actors aging is really the issue here, I think it's more to do with Doug using the extended gap between series as a plot dynamic, to give something fresh, new and exciting to the RD universe / storyline. He did make it fairly clear at the last DJ that that's the line he's thinking down - I think, given time, we'll know everything we need to about the time between VIII and BTE but it's more likely that it'll be from happenings in IX referring back to it...

13. ori-STUDFARM

I did post this as a joke. Please, it doesn't warrant discussion. If it gets explained, great! If not, fair enough.

14. ben996

ben996 First Technician

they should explain what happened after series 8 like they did with series 3 in a long text form, and explain where back to earth fits in,
    i don't think kochanski will be in it right away, i think the season story arc will be lister looking for kochanski and he will find her at the end of the season

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I hope he won't. Six episodes isn't much of a search. Finding her is enough of a quest to span the remainder of Red Dwarf's lifespan. Although I'd be in favour of a bittersweet ending where he finds her only to lose her again (perhaps to the alternate universe Dave Lister) and resolves to find "his" Kochanski again through some other convoluted method. :lol:

Bittersweet and Red Dwarf go well together, although I'd like a happy ending when Doug knows that the time has finally come to call it a day.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Wooohooooooo! The world didn't blow up!!