Series X G & T Poll Top 20

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ianjk78, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

Is there anybody who has done Ganymede & Titan 61 episode poll got any Red Dwarf Series X
    episodes in the top 20 all time episodes?

I have 3 in the top 20, I thought Series X was a return to form, a success.

2. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I have Lemons in the top 20 at number 14. The others are outside of the top 20 as follows

28 - Trojan
    32 - The Beginning
    37 - Fathers and Suns
    39 - Entangled
    57 - Dear Dave

Lemons for me is the first episode post series 6 that emulated the golden era (series 2 to 6 for me) and wouldn't look out of place in series 5 or 6 and I will watch repeatedly without hesitation. In my list Series 10 mostly ranked higher than 7, 8 & BtE. I'm looking forward to the results being published and hopefully discussed as a Dwarfcast.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Whilst this is largely a matter of personal opinion, I have to disagree. There were too many mistakes and plot holes in Lemons and I really think it would have been a much better episode if Doug didn't decide for some peculiar reason that it would be funny if Jesus was a Geordie (Yeah, I know the actor was a Mackam, but Doug said Geordie on the DVD), I just can't think of it as even remotely like a Series 5 or 6 quality episode.

4. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

The interesting thing about Series X is a lot of people have different favorites;
    Mine happen to be Entangled , The Beginning , and Trojan.

5. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't give G&T the time of day or traffic, the way they treat people (specifically people who made it public on their site that they suffer a mental disability) is disgusting. Sorry to interrupt with negativity lol but this is my equivalent of standing outside it with a picket sign :P

6. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

You don't work for the Barracuda website filter company do you? Our company uses it and it has recently declared G&T as unsuitable to visit on our works computers...

7. dodgebizkit

Haha no I don't - and I'd never work on a filter company as I beleive that everyone has the right to any and all (legal, non privacy invasive) information they want... Even when they should be focusing on their work and not typing on forums ;-) (I never said I don't work at YOUR firm :P )

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree concerning plot holes. The accent never bothered me though. (Actually, I found it amusing.) I doubt it would bother anyone if he had spoken with a BBC accent, and people from that era or part of the world wouldn't have sounded like that either. In the end I guess our observations are coloured by popular culture aren't they?

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I fully intended to take part in this but left it too late. I had been about half way through but my saved list so far reset itself..D'oh! It's my own fault for not having used a back up though really.

I'm really hoping the results show a shift from the hardcore fan trend of lumping every ep of series 7 and 8 together in the kind of "guilty by association" way some seem to do nowadays.

I can also say that at the last point of my sorting my list out "The Beginning" was in my top 20. And a few other series X ep's were placed reasonably high too...I can't remember where exactly though. :-(

As for Lemons, I think it's a great ep. And I can't think of any major plot holes...well, non of which are any worse than the many we've seen in various other classic RD ep's...nor are they any worse than the obvious plot holes inherent within the Bible itself. :twisted:

;-)

10. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

It's probably all the swearing. It's a pretty good site IMHO but they swear like schoolboys, which is rather tedious.

11. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

It's the swearing that stops me from reading it at work which again makes it tedious.

12. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

To be fair the majority of regulars probably didn't realise until it was pointed out and with the less than saintly way that you guys had been behaving they might have suspected deliberate trolling. I don't believe they are universally terrible people as you imply; some of them also post on here. I just think they are a fairly small community (a lot of of whom don't even read the ToS) and were rather rubbed the wrong way by the arrival of several new members displaying, shall we say, unique personalities.

I agree with Seymour in that I find the website entertaining but with a slight cringe factor because swearing on its own is fine with me but swearing to evoke mass sniggering is really becoming increasingly pathetic, especially given the advancing ages of the G&T fellows themselves. What is clear is that (almost) everyone of them is very much liberally minded and so I don't think any of them would consciously bully or make fun of someone because of a mental disability. I think a lack of context was the problem with the incident in question.

13. dodgebizkit

I agree with you on their swearing thing, it's overdone and doesn't sit right.

The problem I have with them is, well, OK they get annoyed at the big long incoherent posts and what may have appeared to be plugging, and some arguments started, but he repeatedly apologised and wrote about his problems, but it didn't stop it, and when it clearly became one sided bullying I stepped in and made them all look a bunch of ahem... nasty people, they clearly thought "Who is this new outsider telling us that we are nothing but bullies and that our site sucks?" and they ganged up all insulting the hell out of me, but I held my own and gave them all I had until I was banded... Maybe from the POV of friends of those members its easy to judge us as in the wrong, but if someone was just to read through it unbiased I'm sure they would see it as a bunch of keyboard hide-and-seekers taking an easy bash and not liking it that people fight back. They literally began hurling insults at me because I said to the other valued member of this forum "This place is hostile, lets find somewhere else." after they'd been picking on him over the course of 3 pages.

Quite funny though, the thread about us was apparently in their top 5 threads for more than a month after we were banned... What wonderful lives they have.

Ant E likes this.
  14. dodgebizkit

I apologise - I don't want to derail the thread or appear to hold a grudge, but I will not support them in any way.

15. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Are conservatives (such as me, for example) known for bullying or mocking people with mental disabilities?

16. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

You all act as though swearing isn't big or clever. Well I can tell you all that it is. It is BOTH big AND clever and I won't hear another thing about it. Be told! :-D

Anyway....back on topic. Geordie Jesus shouldn't have bothered anyone. Yes, in all likelihood, Jesus (actual or name alike) probably wouldn't have had a Geordie accent...but then he wouldn't have speaking English either. The language simply did not exist...even in Albion! But had they kept historically correct, it wouldn't really have been as much fun to watch IMO. I treat it exactly the same as I do a Star Trek episode where every planet visited speaks Earth unless it is required in the plot that they don't...

Lemons was for me one of the best in RDX. Even if the rejuve shower changing into a transporter across space and time was a bit too convenient and under explained, whilst conveniantly having two remote control units which for some reason needed lemons to power them because Kryten just couldn't (or wouldn't....I don't trust that Mech!).

RDX is such a weird series/season. Every series/season before now seems to have a clear majority with regards to the best 2 or 3 episodes....RDX doesn't. I see as many people loving Trojan as love Fathers & Suns. As many who love Fathers & Suns as love Lemons. As many as love Lemons as love Entangled and as many as love Entangled as love The Beginning...Although Dear Dave does seem to be the clear worst....That said, I also see a lot of love for this. But not as much as for the others...If that makes any kind of sense. If not, tough! :P

17. dodgebizkit

Yeah I agree it was the most diverse series to date, I loved every episode and 'liked dear Dave a lot" though it's also an easy series to critisize, as you mentioned there was a Geordie Jesus which makes the suspension of belief much more difficult than if he was to have a more conventional BBC accent like the Jesus/Judas at the end, but I think this is the point because they make you not want it to be Jesus big accept that it is, making the big reveal even bigger with the relief coming with the comedy. It bothered me for a while but I got over it and don't notice it anymore.

It would have been better if it was clear he was foreign and had learned English, like the lemon lady.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

He was supposed to be foreign, he was supposed to be Jesus of Caesaria and had visited Albion (he says, "I have visited Albion, I walked across the river of Mersey"). Quite well travelled for the son of Samuel the chicken stealer and Rachael the fornicator... But as with the Lemon seller, visiting Albion would have been absolutely no help learning English at all, the language used in Britain was about a millennia and a half from being recognisable to the point that conversation would be reasonably practical (And even then, how many GCSE level Literature students struggle with Elizabethan English?).

That's not the only problem I have with Lemons though. I've mentioned it elsewhere on here, but even accepting that perhaps Kryten and Rimmer's on board power supplies provide the wrong type of electricity so can't be used, there are plenty of fruits native to the British isles that could have been used in lieu of lemons, and even more that they would have passed on their route to India. The whole lengthy and dangerous journey was completely unnecessary. If I can spot that with nearly a 20 year old gap between doing GCSE science to now, it seems utterly implausible that Kryten wouldn't know it.

A very minor point here but another little niggle for me, they'd have a long wait for galvanised iron nails, the technique wasn't in use for well over a millennium. And whilst they could have explained to the blacksmith that they wanted the nails dipped in zinc, why bother? It's the zinc and copper that are the important metals for the battery, the iron's irrelevant.

Next, and skipping past the language issue (Which could have been solved pretty easily IMO and without having to resort to peasant fruit sellers and sons of chicken thieves embarking on improbable trans-continental trips), why was Jesus being chased by Roman soldiers? I know he says that he's always having to leg it on account of his father, but these are seriously determined soldiers to chase the son of a thief (Not the thief himself, but his son) thousands of miles and into a country that Rome never even occupied.

Now, bearing in mind Jesus's peasant upbringing here, being able to read and write even in his native language would be extremely unlikely. That he's able to read a modern English textbook, written in a language and structure he'd never have actually heard or seen and alphabet he would be at best unfamiliar with (And completely unknown in some cases) is beyond credible. Then, even if you can get past that, there was no reason for him not to write his note in English too. He's clearly a very gifted linguist.

I know it's not a documentary, but these are three very important points in the plot of the episode and they're completely undermined by a really rather basic understanding of science and history. As they didn't need the lemons they wouldn't have travelled to India, as there would have been no Romans chasing Jesus they wouldn't have taken him back to Red Dwarf with them and as there is no chance a person with his upbringing would be able to read those books he wouldn't have travelled back to trash his reputation. Without those three points, the whole episode more or less completely unravels.

I can cope with a bit of suspension of disbelief, I don't mind a bit of artistic licence (For example, although I notice it, it doesn't bother me that the assassination attempt by Von Stauffenberg occurred in a completely different time and place to the Nuremburg rallies (Timeslides for those who wonder what I'm going on about here)), but when the main, significant plot points seem so completely implausible within the context of the episode, it is going to affect how I view that episode.

The accent bothers me only really because it's such a strong accent and it would have been less glaringly obvious IMO if it was a more neutral accent (And before anyone accuses me of regional bias, I'm half Geordie, my paternal grandmother was Glaswegian and I grew up on army bases in Germany with friends from all over Britain, so I'm quite comfortable with different regional accents). That and the comment Doug made on the DVD about "Wouldn't it be funny if Jesus was a Geordie?". I really can't understand why that would be funny. To be honest, I think the accent bothered me less until I heard that comment, I don't quite know quite why that is though.

Anyway, I can't think of any episode from Series 5 or 6 that has that many IMO obvious and fundamental issues with it, but that said I did still enjoy watching Lemons, in spite of its problems.

19. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I took part in it, and most episodes from III, IV, V and VI made up the top 20 for me, with episodes from I, II, VII and VIII behind them.

I wish it let me access the list again as it took a while to arrange them!

The episodes in positions 50+ were made up of some from VII, VIII and all of IX.

I do believe one or two episodes from X also were in there, but I can't remember which. I think they were 'Lemons' and 'Dear Dave'.

20. smegmeister

smegmeister Skutter

Sorry to barge in on you and your officer chummies, but my website has been needlessly and inaccurately attacked in this thread, and I feel the need to defend it.

The incident to which Danny Trout A La Crème refers was absolutely nothing to do with mental health or bullying. One guy turned up and started a thread, then started attacking people who replied. Another guy turned up to defend him in the ensuing chaos, and it started getting out of control - big, long posts all over the forum, these two chaps were defending themselves by attacking others. I stepped in and told them to stop it or they'd be banned. They didn't stop it. They were banned.

Naturally, both sides of this conflict are going to have differing opinions, and I don't particularly care whether people like or dislike our moderating style, our conduct in disputes, or indeed our use of naughty words (which is barely even a thing any more). But we categorically do not treat new people badly - the only people we treat badly are the people who act like knobs, whether they're new or old. And the suggestion that there is any sort of prejudice along the lines of disability or anything else is completely ludicrous, insulting, offensive and actionable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.