Series X - Ocean gray or military gray?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KrytieTV1, Apr 28, 2016.

1. KrytieTV1

KrytieTV1 Skutter

Who else wanted Series X to look more like the originals as well as feel like them?

I've edited a screen shot below to illustrate what I mean... (Also, I am a fan of Series X. Just would've liked to see this).

[​IMG]

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

From a visual aesthetic, I can't say I ever really liked the grey sets of series 1 and 2....though the use of some coloured lighting in series 2 did help somewhat. However personally I think my main concern for series X is that if it would actually be funny.....which if truth be told was a mixed bag. The red sets was never an issue for me, infact I kinda liked them even though they were light very much like a standard sitcom.

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Not really.

One thing with Red Dwarf is that it tries to be run-down, dirty and so on, but the grey RDX photoshop you've done makes it look a bit too clean. Obviously that's just a photoshop though, of a tiny portion of set.

I'm quite happy with the RDX sets (and, from what I've seen, RDXII). It makes sense that they'd add some colour, even if Lister painted it himself.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I love the RDX sets and I'm glad they went with the Red colours.

That Photoshop edit is cracking though.

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Not really. Maybe it's because I first came into Red Dwarf part way through Series III, but I don't have this fondness for the Military/Ocean Grey sets of I and II. I think they did a good job with those sets and the brief of making it look like a submarine or warship interior (IIRC this is mentioned in one of the DVD extra discs), but I think they've done an equally good job with the sets of subsequent series which look a lot less utilitarian than in the first two series.

That said the photoshopped picture is good, but I personally don't think it looks any better particularly than the original red set.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The grey sets appeal to me much more than the red ones. I didn't much care for the season 10 bunkroom anyway - it seemed far too spacious next to the ones in previous seasons. I also didn't think much of the general look of the room including that weird stylistic sofa that they used. The dull, simplistic sets appeal to me a lot more for some reason. They seem much more in keeping with the show's feel.

I wish they'd attempted to recreate the look of one of the previous seasons for season 10. They did that in 8 when they very convincingly reproduced the season 1 and 2 era bunkroom (and then unfortunately underused it by setting most of the rest of the season in the Tank). I wish they'd done that or recreated the Officers' Quarters that was used from seasons 3 to 5.

7. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

The red set isn't my favourite, but I like how the show has different "eras", each with a distinct visual feel.

One of my chief objections to "new Dwarf" - being, for me, anything post-Out of Time - was the fact that they never settled on a look for more than one series. So I'm pleased that X, XI and XII will have a consistent theme.

Personally, my favourite colour scheme is probably the white bunk room from III:

[​IMG]

...which I thought got a lovely callback (much updated) in BTE:

[​IMG]

The ship's big enough to accommodate all these diverse styles without them counting as outright retcons. For instance, we got a glimpse of a slightly RDX-style corridor during Polymorph:

[​IMG]

Which (I think) isn't a million miles from the style of:

[​IMG]

8. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't have minded, but if Series X had simply been as good as S1 and 2 it'd have been enough for me (not quite sure what you mean by 'originals')

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I always liked the grey sets in series 1 and 2. And yet the last time I watched them I actually found myself at times fantasising about the walls being red.

I think the current red sets (or the colour at least) may be my favourite at this point. I was never overly keen on the brightness of the series 3/4/5 era though.