Series X set before or after Back to Earth?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CharlieTeague, Jan 22, 2012.

1. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

On the forum people seemed to debate when series X is set in relation to BTE, I'm unsure because on the back of the BTE case it says "takes place after 'series ten'", I'm not sure if this is referring to the previousley unmade series X or just one of the two fictional series in their hallucination. Doug Naylor promised that what happened after series VIII will eventually be answered in the new series so to me the logical chronological order is series VIII followed by series X with explanation of what happened followed by Back to Earth which apparently takes place after series ten, however this is challenged with Back to Earth saying "nine years later" so I'm confused. Maybe the new series won't actually know when it's set and may just have a mostly standalone story arc, this is what I hope for.

2. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

BTE is Series IX.

The new series is Series X.

So after.

I don't understand why people take the joke in BTE as any indication of the actual numbering of the series.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Series X is set after BtE. Doug said that BtE was a way of reintroducing all the characters 9 years older and relaunching Red Dwarf. Everything to come is set AFTER. The write up on the back of the DVD was a joke. At the time of the joke being written, there was no series IX or X even being planned for. BtE was a one off Easter special. Also, within the reality of the Red Dwarf universe, the events that occurred in BtE after the squid attack did not even take place. Only in the characters imagination....

We will probably have the Series VIII cliffhanger resolved at some point. But it will probably come in the form of flashbacks or, most likely, referred to in the dialogue. People talking about what happened and letting us know the events that way.

4. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

I asked a similar question, and to be honest I feel silly for doing so, i mean between 1988 and 98, we had 8 series, so it's perfectly conceivable that in the 9 year gap the gang would've had at least two series worth of off screen adventures.

5. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Am I the only person who isn't bothered about continuity? I see RDX as a new beginning... Forget all the loose ends of the past and just enjoy the new series for what it is :-)

6. ori-STUDFARM

I still would like an explanation of the Series VIII cliffhanger, even if it's just a comment that crops up in conversation. But not getting one would not ruin the show for me. It's just a personal preference. Knowing they are still around floating in the depths of space a decade later is enough for me.

7. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I don't think it's important to resolve the Series VIII cliffhanger. It would waste time doing so, and even just a passing line of dialogue will seem forced to me. It's not important. Let's just forget it and move on.

8. CharlieTeague

Well Doug Naylor did say he planned to make a series X after Back to Earth and said it would make a lot more sense in the future, I don't think it makes sense when a DVD says "takes place after 'series ten'" but it turns out that the tenth installment numbered as series 10/X is set after Back to Earth, I understand the idea of offscreen events and I don't have a problem with that I just find it unnecessarily confusing when it would've just been better to say "Back to Earth takes place nine years after 'series eight'" and that would have left it open and there wouldn't be all this confusion or mistaken inconsistency.

9. CharlieTeague

Like I said, I'm hoping for a standalone story arc that doesn't revolve around previous events, I just want to see the story go in a straight line that makes sense and is consistent with the statement "takes place after 'series ten'". My hope/wish is that series X will mainly be focused on the present and will only reffer to earlier events when absolutely necessary unlike series VII and VIII which depend on you having watched the previous series. I am in favor of the series starting a fresh but I just find all this fictional series smeg confusing and frustrating.

10. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

There is no confusion except from you. The Series IX and X reference was just a joke.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it was apparently an in joke because in BTE the guy in the comic shop states series 9 is the best series by miles and doug obviously doug cant be 100% that he could make this so called best series by miles

but from what doug said it sounds like the channel DAVE had a hand in calling this one series X

12. CharlieTeague

I never really saw it as a joke, if that's what it is then that's fine but I always thought of it as a foreshadowing of when the next series will be set, my bad.:crying:

13. ori-STUDFARM

Yeah, I think he confirms this on the DVD commentaries somewhere saying people read too much into what was a spur of the moment joke.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

BTE story was one big bad judgement from doug from the start imo

15. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Sorry, just reread my last post, didn't mean for it to sound so rude. Sorry. But yeah, it was intended as a joke as at the time there was no idea there would be a new series and they had no idea how successful the ratings would be.

I really like the BTE story. It's not without its faults, but as a whole I really enjoyed it.

16. ori-STUDFARM

I'm with Dan on that one. Not without fault, but there were aspects to it that were beautiful. As a one off Easter special, it works for me. But I can see where some don't like it....But I'm not going to go into why I think they're wrong on that though. Not again :P

17. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I can't help but feel some of the confusion has been unintentionally caused by real life inconsistencies and changes as to how we're now told to see BTE within the continuity of the series'. I think we all know deep down that a new series was always in Doug's mind during and after the writing of BTE, he'd be nuts for it not to be, to one degree or another, i'd be slightly concerned if he genuinely felt BTE was likely to be the final Red Dwarf episode). And that this new series (now said to be "series X") according to him was always going to be called series 9 (even through he claimed otherwise initially...then later claimed it was part of the in-joke). This was made clear by Doug when he claimed the whole "no i don't think we'll do a series 9, but we may still do a series 10" was actually also an inside joke, in connection with BTE. So according to Doug this new series was always likely to be named series 9 wasn't it?.

After this statement, some on this forum began saying "i don't understand why people are still confused about this, it was just a joke!, the next series will be called series 9, simples".

Then, more recently Dave suddenly decided it should be called series X, which Doug eventually agreed too, and thus the fans now accept that BTE is now all of a sudden meant to be viewed as series 9, which according to one of Dougs statements was never really intended to be the case. Doug has made it clear this was not his decision and was not what he intended - it was indeed Dave's idea to call series 9, "series X".

If Doug came out today with a new statement saying "Ah, but...haha i've fooled you all again, of course we're not really claiming BTE to be series 9, that's just silly...this new series we're recording right now is series 9.."series X!?!" you lot will believe anything", then some fans would likely instantly accept that too, while claiming they knew this all along. And the rest would accept it over time, as we have with BTE, oops, i mean "series 9". ;-)

So as things stand today, series 9 now genuinely doesn't exist,..as mentioned in BTE (which is what Doug claimed initially...but then claimed this was also a joke..but then this got switched up and came true in the real world...again, even through it was alway never meant to be taken seriously, or not)...or rather we're all supposed to just accept that BTE (the "one off anniversary Easter special", of which is "independent to the series'",..but not really) is all of a sudden series 9. There's no wonder some feel confused, or that Doug changes his mind more often that Cat changes his outfit, even if that's not entirely true.

Personlly, to me this new series will always be series 9 (BTE was series 8 and a half...but not really, for that was just a special, seperate to the series of..series' or 'seasons')

..and i personally look forward to the anouncment of series 12 next year, followed by a Christmas special, of which will feature a story line claiming that series 11 never existed, yet will then later be renamed the official series 11...but not really, that will just be part of an inside gag..Oooor will it?...or maybe every single thing i've just said, including what Doug claimed is intentionally inconsistent and parcially or completely inaccurate...but maybe not..or maybe i'm just genuinely confused and have no idea what i'm typing..;-)

18. ori-STUDFARM

I think I agree....in part....maybe....:?

19. DespairSquid8

DespairSquid8 Second Technician

With regards to continuity I feel that the writer(s) only have to ask "is it useful for the storyline, does it make the story go somewhere & is that somewhere "funny""

I watch House & they have goddamawful continuity, ie:- it follows on all the time & it is now getting soooooooo lame...

I watched another show and cannot quite bring it to mind... it's on the tip of my frontal lobe...

But on this other show usually they have continuity, but then suddenly they just stepped outside of that continuity & it allowed the show to take some really big brave steps and to be really "out there" and it made it be a cool show.

Sometimes continuity is useful, but unless you're making Eastenders it's best not taken too far IMHO.

20. connell

connell First Technician

That gimmick, however, may really confuse people, such as Dibley here. I personally think it was a bad move to put 'takes place after series X' on the back of the box as this could leave casual fans clueless as to what order the shows go in!