Series X: What do you NOT want to see?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by crundy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. crundy

crundy Skutter

I thought that instead of saying "I'd like to see [thing] in the new series" it would be easier to just state what we wouldn't want to see. So here's my list:

• Over-recycled gags. Please, no more Duane Dibbley, Ace Rimmer, or "I'm gonna eat you little fishy". Just no!
    • Repetitive / drawn own jokes, e.g. "Is your chair screwed down tight" x 1,350, or "I can't believe you haven't heard the news about Kochanski & Tim"
    • Dances / musical numbers. Perhaps there are people who liked them, who longed for another Tongue Tied, but it just doesn't work any more.
    • Any plot that involves going back to earth, even temporarily, whether it's through time, teleporting, or just a hallucination.

What about you guys?

2. ben996

ben996 First Technician

pretty much agree with you there,

i don't wanna see the series trying to "copy" an old series, like trying to make it like series 3 or whatever, series 6 was my favourite cause it was its own,

3. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I remember playing this game when Back To Earth was first being talked about. I doubt the things we think will or won't work in series X prove to be accurate. I'm sure that how things are done is more important than what is done, so I can't really think of a wish list for the new series. However...

I'm happy enough with a little recycling of some old material. As long as just rehashing old concepts isn't all there is.

The 'news about Kochanski and Tim' gag did grate on me a little. I think the scene with Kryten and the psychoanalyst character was among the best in series VIII, and the joke about the chair was only slightly intrusively overdone. Generally, that 'wouldn't it be funny if they did this loads of times more than the audience would expect' idea was done a little too often in series VIII.

I thought Tongue Tied was good, and was in place of the opening credits so hardly distracted from the rest of that episode. I assume you're also thinking of the Blue Midget scene. Many didn't like it. I thought it was okay. A bit of fun. And it sort of fitted in with the fact they were in a simulation at the time.

These kinds of plots are pretty essential to Red Dwarf. I don't think it particularly worked in Back To Earth, but then looking back I don't think it was really a failure, either. Bits of it were good. I have a real nostalgia for the first two series, which mainly involved three guys on a ship in deep space. But they pretty well did all they could with it, and I don't want to see galaxy of non-humans and other worlds (most of which will be fields and parks in the city anyway:lol: ) suddenly turn up. At least one episode returning to an Earthbased environment seems likely.

4. crundy

crundy Skutter

Agreed, however I think what made the "good" series work was that they took an interesting situation (inquisitor turning up, Rimmer getting infected with a computer virus etc etc) and worked the script and jokes around it. The later series were pretty disjointed and they tended to take a very large idea which overwhelmed any possibility of a good script. I'd like to go back to the whole "trying to get back to earth while stumbling across wacky things" that worked so well in the past.

Totally agree. I do think the psychoanalyst sketch was a great sketch that almost got ruined by something so small like that.

The blue midget scene just didn't work at all for me. It was pretty cringeworthy and went on far too long. The Rimmer Experience was just horrible.

It may be a personal pet peve but I always disliked the episodes where they did go back to earth in one way or another. I really disliked Tikka to Ride because it just seemed like I was watching another show. BtE was just three episodes of culture clash comedy which wasn't funny, coupled with throwing in as much detail as possible about how popular the show is and how it's on Dave now. The exception is Backwards which did work for me but only because everything on the copy of earth was so different it kinda worked out.

5. crundy

crundy Skutter

Actually I do see from here that Doug intentionally left behind the "monster of the week" format, which is a shame because I feel that's what made series IV - VI great. I presume he's going to carry on the format and not do it for series X either.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

thats disapointing really, but doug wants to take the show back to a more series 2 vibe with a little touch up of series 3 and 4 thrown in

but tbh id say doug shouldnt recicle gags as they aint funny the second time and the cast dont deliver them as good, and no matter how much you add to the classic joke it will just feel like doug is out of ideas

one of the worst examples of a milking a classic gag is krytie tv and the OM song mention, but then again that wasnt 100% written by doug naylor

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm surprised that people find anything to like in that. If any scene sums up series 8 it's that one. I thought it was badly written, annoying and unfunny. As often in series 7 and 8 Kryten was completely out of character, partly due to the aforementioned writing but also because of Robert's awful over-the-top acting. The part where he demonstrates his 'character faults' was particularly cringeworthy. Give me the Kryten of series 3 to 6 any day.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There were a few references to earlier episodes in series 8 that the writers seemed to clumsily insert just because they thought the fans would like them. Another that springs to mind is the mention of Yvonne McGruder in Back In The Red. And then there's the repeat of Kryten's 'spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska' line. It was a hilariously random remark the first time. Just dull the second time.

9. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I wouldn't like to see kristine in the new series. I never liked the new incarnation of the character, although I did like the original.

10. Princess_Elisabeth

Princess_Elisabeth Skutter

I don't want to see Clare Grogan in Series X - she's in her fifties now and a menopausal Krissie would not be a pretty sight - let alone a lust object for Lister.

11. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

I don't want to see people getting their hopes up so much so that they start saying it was poor without giving it a proper chance

I would love to see a competition for the fans to write a 'Space Corps Directives' to be added into the show :-D

[ edited out bad language very sorry :-( ]

12. Yule Sleigher

Space Corps Directive 224-8863/a: Users of the reddwarf.co.uk forum must refrain from swearing.;-)

I think it could catch on.

Oh wait, I meant Space Corps Directive 224-8863/c: People who prejudge TV shows have only themselves to blame for never getting any enjoyment out of anything.

13. Yule Sleigher

Keep at it, guys! I really think we're getting somewhere.;-)

14. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Post edited. Watch the language please.

15. Yule Sleigher

I agree the OM song mention seemed a bit shoe-horned in. I don't really see there was a need for a repeat of the 'spin my nipple nuts' comment, since I would have thought a writer could have just come up with something else, although I seem to think the 'Florence Nighting-droid' gag was used twice, too, but I would hardly say I found those things intrusive. Same with mentions of McGruder. There have always been back-references in Red Dwarf. For reasons I can't imagine, people find them disproportionately annoying in series 7 and 8. Perhaps it's because many didn't like those series as much and perceived those references as some kind of attempt to feed off of past successes. I very much doubt they were intentionally used to hoodwink fans into thinking they were watching earlier series.

16. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

No Kochanski, she works better as the absent "one that got away" rather than an unfunny character that doesn't fit the show.

No crew and no bleedin' Holister. I hope we never get to see them again.

No more on screen Jokes like were in 8. Things like Smeg Knows and The Smeg it is appearing in a cheesy font on screen wernt funny.

Try to stop the audience whopping and hollering like a married with children audience.

I agree with the long drawn out Gags as well. Holsters "see you in 10 minutes" is still the worst thing ever.

No multi parters.

17. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I don't know about that, she looks good for her age I think. I still prefer Chloe though.

18. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I definitely agree with those bottom two! Especially about the drawn out gags. The 'I love mint choc icecream' bit went on faaaaar too long, and the 'see you in 10 minutes'. But I'm not a fan of that episode in general.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes. There are plenty of middle-aged women that middle aged men find attractive. Not including Clare Grogan based on age isn't really on. We shouldn't judge female characters differently from the men, although that it often the case on the telly and film.

I'd prefer Chloe too though, but I don't think there's any worry about that. If Kochanski is in the series, I'm sure it will be her. And despite being younger than CPG she is no spring chicken either... and she still looks lovely.

I agree with the sentiment that she would be best used in this series as a goal, although I never disliked her character*. If they find her at the end of this series, and another series is commissioned, I wouldn't mind if she was a full member of the cast for that series, but one series at a time.

*She could be annoying, but understandably so considering her circumstances.

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'm not a fan of that school of humour anyway. It's probably why I don't enjoy Family Guy.