Series X: What do you NOT want to see?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by crundy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Doh! Upmost apologies didn't even notice it. I blame this early morning rugby and the emotional strain brought on by watching that epic Irish forward performance. Sorry guys :-(

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I do not want to see am over the top kryten. He really wound me up in the later series; although to be fair the whole of the last 3 attempts at dwarf wound me up. Get the balance of the characters back and things should be sweet. The relationship between lister and rimmer should be at the heart of the show

4. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

I disagree with everything in the OP :S Hehe sorry. I think all of those things are great in moderation.

I do however agree that a full time Kochanski would spoil it, although I'd love the concept of a cameo by the character!

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I dont want to see anything reminiscent of anything post season 6, especially the horrible CGI of season 7.

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I would be devastated if it turned out to be a six part multi. (like the 10 part Torchwood)

7. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Sorry to arrive late to this thread, but here goes...

Kryten doing that squeaky voice that he did in s7 and s8. Terrible.

Duane Dibley. Funny at the time, but not again.

Ace Rimmer. See above.

Kochanski. Agree with the other commenters that she's best as a "goal". (Not that I've anything against Miss Grogan or Miss Annett. I think the latter did the best she could in the circumstances.)

Copious special effects where something simple would have done nicely.

Filmic/epic styling.

Extended or repeated gags, a la space corps directives in s6.

Norman Lovett. He was perfect for the first two series but Hattie was perfect for the tone of s3 onwards.

Unintelligent toilet humour. (Didn't think much of the tomato/snot gag in BTE.)

And finally, vaguely, political correctness in general.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd actually quite like to see him if it relates to the series VII thread where our Rimmer took on the role...

I.e. BtE's Rimmer is a hologram again. We never did find out what happened to the resurrected human version from series VIII. If BtE's holo-Rimmer is the series 1-7 Rimmer returned... there could be an amusing back-story in there.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think the character of ace rimmer or even the appreance of him in whatever form has turned into to much of a joke already

i never liked what they did with him in series 7, was abit disrespectful to the original character

10. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I disagree entirely

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

see i can see how you might feel otherwise but i just think ace rimmer came across way over smug in series 7, and the whole alternative rimmer taking his ace wig off and giving it to the other rimmer was abit too much like taking the original ace rimmer character apart and showing us its just chris barrie with a wig, and yes we all know its not chris barries real hair and that he wears a wig to be ace rimmer but to use the wig as basicly a gag in series 7 feels abit disrespectful

but thats just how i see it anyway :-)

12. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I disagree

13. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I wasn't keen on ACE in series 7, but it was a vehicle to write Chris Barries out while he was doing his other commitments.

14. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

Ace is in many ways as flawed and complicated a character as Rimmer, which is as it should be. If Rimmer had to leave, which he did, it made sense that he should do so on so positive a journey of personal growth.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Thing is, the original Ace, while adored by all the characters he came across (besides Rimmer), and while actually having lots of great qualities, actually was a smug, vain character. Remember what Lister said to Rimmer to persuade him to take on the wig, as it were: "You can be your own kind of Ace."

I'd actually find that Ace rather interesting, and I think a spin-off series based on him and his arch could have had some legs.

Of course, it seems that Rimmer was unsuccessful, assuming that BtE's Rimmer is that character returned. Of course there are other explanations for the hologram. For example, a new hologram being generated with memories of the original, or possibly the original (before he left) and human version's memories fused together. In his BtE commentary Doug Naylor does suggest the former, this being ther original Rimmer returned, to be the explanation. Which isn't to say that explanation is concrete until it's actually mentioned in the programme, but it is the simplest explanation.

Now, if Rimmer failed to be Ace, why, and in what way? And where is the human version? Is he end up stuck out in space with a sore head, a silly wig and a love-sick computer? I think that could be another interesting story and a great source of comedy.

16. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

1. Ace Rimmer
    2. Mr Flibble
    3. Dwayne Dibbley
    4. Polymorph
    5. Nasty cgi over use
    6. Ridiculously complicated plots
    7. Stories that run for more than one episode
    8. Pointless cameo's by famous people
    9. Cliff hangers
    10. Simulants
    11. Time Travel
    12. Reaching earth

What I would like is a return to what we saw with series V, for me the best series made. This includes an live audience as well as other things from other series like bringing back 'Talkie Toaster', talking vending machines, a more subtle or toned down look for the ship interiors, more model work and stories that finish within one episode.

But this is just me :-)

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

There were complex* plots and simulants in series V. And I'd say The Inquisitor was one of the best episodes of Series V!

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the simulants in Series X as long as they're part of a good story. I'm a bit of a sucker for killer robots and cyborgs though. I'm also interested to see what modern affects can do with a gelf, but again, they should be part of a good story but I think that should go without saying.

*Okay, not all that complex really, but there was confusing time related stuff in The Inquisitor.

18. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Don't wanna see anymore GELFS either haha

19. candyflip

candyflip Skutter

I agree totally with these! I don't really mind WHO is in it at all.. I just hate to see that 'professional' look.. the modern looking CGI stuff just doesn't do it for me when it comes to Red Dwarf!

Red Dwarf was always best when the effects weren't that great, and the set appeared intimate. I *wish* they would film it analog, using the old cameras and tape that they used for the first few seasons.. without the treated lenses and fancy filming techniques etc.. Also having the studio audience miked and mixed the same as days of old would be great too.. it was spot on back in the late 80s/early 90s!

I'm biased though as I hold those earlier, lo-fi episodes so close to my heart. But that's what makes them so great, it was all about the writing, the character interactions, and the cheesy bad FX! The characters, and the set, all felt so close.. season 8/BTE just felt a too little cold to me..

Ah well, at least we'll always have those old episodes with us :-)

20. Yule Sleigher

Yule Sleigher Console Officer

I don't mind GELFs, but worry that they won't be very in keeping with the show if they're created with too many special effects, but also they won't be accepted by todays audience if they're too much like folk in rubber masks.