Series XI confirmed with dates?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stephen, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Clickety article

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

"shooting is scheduled to get under-way in October 2014 with a view to being aired on Dave in Autumn 2015."

Long time between shooting & broadcast. . .:roll:

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Well, that's me clearing my October - I definitely want to try and get to the filming!

Simmy - it was about that sort of length between shooting and airing for RDX. It definitely is a long time though, especially since it's only six episodes (with pick-ups, editing etc), especially when you consider that some series in America actually shoot episodes whilst others in the same season are airing, so they can sometimes only be a handful of months ahead.

But hey - this is the nature of the beast. I can't imagine that this article is lying (why would they?) so I guess this is as near as confirmation as we're going to get until the official announcement.

4. Carrie TORDFC

Carrie TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

New series are rarely launched in the Summer months, hence Series X getting an Autumn 2012 launch despite Dec 2011/Jan 2012 filming.

5. simulant37

Why is this not on the news page of this, THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE?!?

It always seems to be slow with any Red Dwarf related news. . .:roll:

6. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Probably because, as usual, news has been announced before any official announcement it ready. I'd imagine they would officially announce any news when they are allowed to do so.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's not confirmed. It's not confirmed. It's not confirmed.

Why do people keep falling for this stuff? Do you really think a Q&A at Sci-Fi Scarborough is where official confirmation would be announced? Do you really think WhatCulture would be the first place to get hold of the exclusive news? No. Exactly the same thing happened before Back to Earth, and exactly the same thing happened before Series X: people jumped the gun, picked up on comments as "official confirmation" far too early, and then complained when the gap between the so-called "confirmation" and the actual series ended up being longer than it would have been if everyone had just waited until the actual commission was confirmed and ready to be announced.

So I'd thank you not to criticise the site for not publishing news that isn't actually news yet, Simulant. You know exactly what the score is, you're still choosing to wind me up, and I'm not in the mood for it.

8. simulant37

Err, I'm not actually choosing to wind you up. There are many instances whereby Red Dwarf related news appears rather late in the day on this the official site. For example, the news story about Danny John Jules' show The Easy Ride. The news article was published after 2 episodes had already aired! So I take issue with your baseless accusation. I don't think it strange to wonder why the official site isn't first with news stories (obviously this can't always be the case), nor do I find it strange to ask why on the forum. I'm unclear why you are taking it as a personal slight. . .its a valid question. . .

9. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

I only hope that if it is happening and if it is going to be filmed this year, that it is in October time as I'll be in London then and could potentially make a recording.

Lot of 'if's' though.... :?

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Good news! Even if it is unofficial it's something to get excited about.

11. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

That seems a little uncalled for in my opinion.

We will just have to wait and see if the dates are correct or not, either way we are more than likely to be in for a new series at some point. 8)

12. Carrie TORDFC

It's incredibly exciting to see unconfirmed rumours to be flying around as it shows that things might finally be in motion! :-D And the forum is the perfect place to discuss their potential.

However, to criticize an official website for not releasing aforementioned unconfirmed rumours on the News Section seems pretty daft to me. :?

13. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Perhaps it's today's update? :shock: :P :lol:

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

But you must know that there's a world of difference between reporting on things the cast are doing outside of Red Dwarf (which sometimes, if they're not widely publicised, we just don't hear about in time), and reporting on the actual production of the show.

When it comes to the production of Red Dwarf, we can't report rumours. We can't throw around words like "confirmed" when they're not actually true. We are not "slow" with official news: we're the first place you'll see most of it. So to say that we're "slow with any Red Dwarf-related news" is something I find hugely insulting given the work I put into this site and keeping on top of things.

WhatCulture haven't broken a scoop, here. The cast have spoken slightly out of turn at a small convention, and they've decided to whip this up into gaining extra hits (and hence advertising revenue) for their extremely linkbait-driven site. And it's working. Unfortunately, this means that we now have to deal with being told that something we know isn't officially commissioned yet is "confirmed" by people who really should know better.

15. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Well we can confirm that we are hungry for more Red Dwarf.:-)

16. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I can confirm the above post, too.

17. Sammy Psycho

I would imagine the cast are in the loop well before this website is so I would tend to favour there info even if it is just a misguided hint or even miss information. Of course the site who reports it can just make up and embellish what they actually heard. I also realise it could be easy for any one of the cast let something slip or even give a generalisation when asked a question weather the info is official or not.
    Other people are free to pick up on this info and post it on any site they wish and only time will prove it right or wrong.
    It's only speculation but that is what keeps it interesting.

18. Carrie TORDFC

> I would imagine the cast are in the loop well before this website is so I would tend to favour there info even if it is just a misguided hint or even miss information.

...you're aware that Seb is employed by Grant Naylor Productions, right? That his boss is Doug Naylor? I can safely affirm he knows exactly what's going on. ;-)

19. Sammy Psycho

Of course, but I doubt very much that when GNP are checking out the actors schedules for availability and confirmation that they are all available at the same time that the forum official will be the first in line.
    Logistics is a complicated process and whatever you believe, my personal opinion is that the cast would be privy to this info a long time before the forum. Even if SebP does have the info he will be unable to report until he is allowed to.

20. Carrie TORDFC

*shrug* Not sure what to say to that really. I'm trying to explain why you should trust what Seb is saying but hey ho.

It's still very exciting to hear the rumours and dates flying about though! As I mentioned above, it's a positive sign that things are moving in the right direction. But as we've learned from both BTE and Series X, the casts' word shouldn't always be taken as gospel ;-)