Series XI / XII Hopes and Wishes

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jul 17, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

• That they use real sets / locations, instead of bluescreen tech
    • That the lighting and tone is darker / grittier
    • That there's more drama, 'serious' acting, and belief in the writing / characters, as opposed to the silly pantomime, self-mocking style of series X
    • That the old Rimmer returns. The one in series X was particularity bitter and joyless, and I wasn't keen.
    • That they get Kryten's mask right
    • Use of the AR suite.

2. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

1) Better world-building, like references and nods to what shape the solar system was in; the worlds from which the crew left 3 million years ago - what was it like culturally and socially? Previously we've heard mention of Zero-G soccer teams, hotels on the moons of Jupiter, clips of TV shows from the era in which the Dwarf left Earth. Would love to hear about other ships, organisations food, celebrities from the world of Dwarf.

2) Slightly more relaxed performances from the cast. I loved RDX but sometimes felt that Lister and Rimmer were trying to hard and their performances were a little forced, if you know what I mean.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I do. This is similar to my bullet point 3.

4. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Not using bluescreen tech is ridiculous. It's like saying we should go back to silents and black and white. It's not 1988 anymore and the world only spins in one direction.

5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I believe there will be both - there were a couple of weeks location shooting and the set reports mentioned that there were some impressive guest sets. But then there were also those greenscreen pics from one of the series XI episodes (it was hinted that they were trying something very ambitious).

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

No it's not. It's not like saying that in the slightest.

Bluescreen is used not because it's better, it's used because it's a cheap and easy alternative to sets and location filming. Nothing looks good on bluescreen, not even when you have a limitless budget (remember how crap Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull looked, compared to ... Last Crusade, because Speilberg went for bluescreen effects on ... Crystal Skull?).

Bluescreen is awful and sticks out like a sore thumb.

7. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'm struggling to think of any episode or series where rimmers main role was to be bitter and joyless? Isn't that his whole character?

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well Rimmer has gone through phases through out the shows run like Rimmer in series 2,3,4 seemed a little more layed back and abit more joyful in his own little world while 1,5 and 6 was a little more grouchy moany rimmer.

I think the reason why its not very noticeable is because these are all very much personality traits of rimmers character that we are used to whether certain sides show more then others depending on the series.

I will say though i think doug pushed it abit far with how rimmer reacted to his brothers death though.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Not really. And I did say 'particularly' bitter.

The old Rimmer was bitter, yes, but like Talkie Toaster says he enthused, he was passionate, and certainly not joyless. Rimmer in Series X just came across as a man suffering from clinical depression.

I like to think X was like a trial run for better things to come, and that in XI and XII the actors will have remembered how to play the characters again.

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I'd disagree hugely with this. There are lots of films and scenes where you wouldn't even know it was shot using blue/greenscreen unless it was pointed out to you.

I remember seeing this out-take from Guardians of the Galaxy and being surprised at how much of the background was comped in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZFm1NW5MM

Here's the actual finished scene for comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaJyAjvajo

Sure, there are examples where it looks terrible, especially if done in a hurry. But it's massively widespread and more often than not you wouldn't notice it. And it's been in use since the 1930s!

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd like to see some good Rimmer-centric episodes that delve more into his fascinating background and state of mind. Episodes based around Rimmer usually tend to be pretty good. That said, the two Rimmer-based episodes in X (Trojan and The Beginning) were my least favourites of the season. Let's have another Rimmer episode of Holoship standard.

12. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Go exploring with Hogey's map.

13. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'd love hogey scenes

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Some characters work best minimal

15. Strat-tastic

Find Mr. Guitar :-D

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Agreed, although I wouldn't mind if he returns for one episode. I really hope they use the map though, and it was not just something for that episode to get the simulants chasing Hoagie.

17. Strat-tastic

Map > Wormhole > Adventure ([REDACTED]) 8)

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Friendly reminder: as per the spoiler policy, you should only discuss plot (and other) details of actual RDXI/XII episodes in threads that are clearly marked [RDXI] or [RDXII] in the subject line (even if they mention the series number in another way, that doesn't count - these are clearly delineated spoiler tags).

As this is a "hopes and wishes" thread, I don't want to put the spoiler tag on it (in case people who don't want to know anything about the series still want to join in the hypothetical chat), so I've removed the reference you made to the synopsis.

19. Strat-tastic

Oops yes. Sorry :eek:ops:

20. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

I'd much rather RD end like The Sarah Jane Adventures and we leave the characters headed for their next adventure... rather than seeing ten years from now a 70 year olo BobbyLlew trying to recapture the magic and vigor of his original mid-thirties Kryten.

Everything has its time and everything ends.