Series XI / XII Hopes and Wishes

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jul 17, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Sep 15, 2012
    Precisely. I don't want it to devolve into Last Of The Summer Wine. And they'll start running out of ideas at some point anyway.

I did always wonder if that was why they did 12 episodes for this new run (well, two series) rather than just doing 6 episodes - so Doug could try to squeeze more out of Red Dwarf whilst there's time.
  2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Nov 18, 2002
    Red Dwarf, Deep space
    According to doug it was for budget reasons that we got 2 series back to back, it was UKTV's idea which doug agreed too but once he realised he would have to write 12 episodes he wished he just said to make 6 episodes

I think it does get more difficult as the cast get older to keep making these, esp with the 3 to 4 year gaps in between series and while it looks like they are glossing everything with new energy which i think will help keep the show fresh for longer there is only so far you can go with that.
  3. emmawatson

emmawatson Second Technician

Mar 24, 2012
    A lot of fans I see online think RD will be able to last a lot longer than it can. Last of the Summer Wine in Space would be a soul-crushing end.
  4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Apr 22, 2009
    Cliffhangers!! And a story ark!!