RDXII Series XII titles speculations

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by bilbobagenz, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Rimmer looks for a parallel universe where he isn't a loser suggests we might get an answer to the "which Rimmer" question.

2. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Bear in mind the original title for 'Cured' was 'Here No Evil' which I reckon means the no criticism allowed is the same ep.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

But it also says they find a space-station where they cured evil. So I think that's "Here No Evil". M-Corp is the M-Corp from Samsara with the Karma Drives, and Karma Drives outlaw bad behavior.

4. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Oh I think it is too, I think that AND the line about no criticism is 'Cured'.

TimeWave sounds like a type of software to me.

5. Officer Kendall

Officer Kendall Skutter

I went to see the no criticism episode being filmed and I think that might be TimeWave

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

There is a software program called Timewave Zero (just been googling this) which creates graphs for something called 'novelty theory' - something to do with patterns of time speeding up (a pseudo-scientific theory according to Wikipedia).
    Apparently this theory was conceived after its inventor consumed large quantities of magic mushrooms... if Timewave does turn out to be the second recording, wasn't that the episode everyone described as trippy?

OK, so maybe not then! Interesting that you're still unsure which episode title fits with the one you watched.

7. Officer Kendall

Officer Kendall Skutter

None of the titles fit the episode I saw. TimeWave is the only one I can think of a possible link to the episode I saw but I maybe miss remembering that as it was a year and a half ago I saw it.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Yes, it was so long ago! I've definitely forgotten a lot of the details of the episode I saw (probably a good thing, actually). At least the title makes sense to me now - the original one didn't, but again that's probably just me misremembering stuff (or failing to pick up on it in the first place, most likely).

9. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Okay, I'm back and hyped. 'Mechocracy' is the one I'm really intrigued by if it is the episode where the machines strike.

Mechocracy sounds like it'll be entirely set on the ship and will certainly be about Lister and Rimmer. Also, I think some satire would really be refreshing in these troubled times.

Finally, those AI vending machines that folk complained about in series XI: I really liked them despite their daftness. When reading the series' synopsis, I thought understood that the machines' AI personalities were installed by Lister and Rimmer themselves – making them a significant sign of the sheer lonely desperation they experience. After a quick google, I realised this wasn't the case. My brain had added that in for me. It's sweet, I like it, it's now part of my official head-cannon.

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I've just found something to complain about. Presidential election? Written when America was having a presidential election? There's too much current events creeping in. Why a Presidential election, is the UK a republic in the 22nd century?

11. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Do you mean Series X? Series XI specifically avoided doing anything like the Series X vending machines, instead giving the AI machines a more Series I Tony Hawkes-ish style.

I don't want to see anyone complaining that Mechocracy will be full of Taiwan Tonys. If you feel the need to even suggest something like it, you're clearly just looking for excuses to complain. Series XI should be your point of comparison, not the nearly five year old Series X that only relied so much on vending machines in the first place for budgetary issues that these two series do not suffer from.

I say this because elsewhere I have seen actually people bitching that Mechocracy will "obviously" be an episode full of Taiwan Tonys and Medibots, because the desire to complain about episodes you haven't even seen trumps any kind of critical thinking.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  12. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Will Mechocracy see the long-awaited return of Snacky?

13. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

For reasons I can't go into, Mechocracy really does sound like the one I went to (where we encounter the MILF and everyone's Kryten). However, it could still easily be the one where all the machines go on strike and Kryten and Rimmer run for election.

14. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Shirley 'Mechocracy' has to be where there's an election for machines?

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

"Everyone's Kryten" is probably Siliconia, and Siliconia is the name of the MILF base. Otherwise Siliconia might be the software-update episode. Maybe Siliconia is the name of a computer virus.

16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Written in 2015. And we're talking about a society that has "dollarpounds", not to mention the fact that Red Dwarf is set on a spaceship, not in the UK.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

The primaries started in 2015, which to me is part of the election.

18. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

I mean its a presidential Election between a Robot, a hologram and a bunch of vending machines. I think we should wait until its out before we moan.

19. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Yeah, I meant series X. Though you did quote my post you sounded like you were addressing someone else's quite-different-from-mine opinion!

If they don't have series X style AI, I'll be happy with that too, was just a post saying why I might be excited about that particular episode and a demonstration of why; my brain had unconsciously come up with a damn solid reason for X's vending machine AI :-)

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Okay, but if you're taking that approach, then you're basically considering two years out of every four as a period in which the election is going on. Which means that fifty per cent of the time, writers shouldn't be allowed to write things about elections? Seems a bit unfair.