Shocking thought about Youtube

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by RedDwarffan2982, Mar 24, 2009.

1. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

When the episode is aired and released DVD I feel someone will upload it to youtube so no-one will be buying the DVD and so the future of Red Dwarf will be down the drain. There are alot of RD videos already on Youtube and I think that they too should be talken down so more people would by the DVD's (I do reliase that this may not make a diffrence at all due to the BBC also get a cut of the DVD's sold but it would still help.)

Anyone agree?

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Of course people uploading official released dvds is not really legal, but there are a lot of people who rather watch things on a nice tv rather than streamed over youtube. add in all the extras on the DVD and I'm sure it'll still be a hit.

3. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

It hasn't stopped the previous DVD releases being a huge hit has it?

4. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Didn't make a difference to Dr Who sales.

All the episodes were on youtube (sometimes with quirky codified names to avoid deletion) but sales of DVDs were high

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And not just on Youtube either. I've actually downloaded a few Doctor Who episodes from the last few series with Bearshare. Good quality too.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

A commercially-produced DVD and a crappy youtube video are not even remotely the same thing. And I do not think it will impact DVD sales much overall even if the episodes are uploaded the same day they're broadcast.

People who want the DVD are going to buy the DVD. Those who don't care will either just watch it again when it re-runs on TV, rent it or DVR it from the television to re-watch. Youtube isn't really much different than DVR'ing something anyway, only you have to eat up bandwidth and the quality is even worse.

Frankly people who might not have otherwise seen the specials might see them on Youtube and that could actually lead to them buying the DVD. This whole business about internet video swapping impacting sales and profit is mostly highly overblown and the result of chicken-little panicking on behalf of the MPAA and RIAA who are more interested in criminalizing their customers and clinging onto outdated technology and distribution methods than joining the 21st century, frankly.

I've downloaded fansubs of anime and then turned around and bought the DVDs when they were released numerous times. I don't see why Red Dwarf would be any different. People who are enough of a fan to want to own the DVD in the first place are going to be interested in having the high-quality copy with extra bits and commentaries, etc and will buy it. Casual fans and non-fans will probably just rent it once or twice or watch a few re-runs and then forget all about it.

The real copyright issue that kills DVD sales, especially in Asia and other places copyright law is poorly enforced, is the bootleg DVD industry where fake DVDs are copied from the real commercial ones, repackaged and sold by bootleggers. I'd be far more worried about that stuff like youtube or bittorrent.

7. petetranter

petetranter Catering Officer

As I'm away over Easter, I have to set my dvd recorder to record them, so all being well I'll have all the episodes on dvd.
    However, first day the official release goes on sale I'll be buying it. No question.

8. connell

connell First Technician

Seeing as i live in Spain, i'll be desperatley trying to find it on youtube, but like me, im sure all us great Red Dwarf fans will be getting the DVD!

9. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

I totally agree with telegramsam. You just can't beat a commercially produced DVD, particularly if you like thge background info and commentaries like I do.

10. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Well having to watch it in parts cause of the 10 minutes and int hat low quality on the tiny screen I dont think it will effect dvds, besides it would have to have a weird sort of code name, I doubt it would do anything. People downloading it from somewhere is a bigger threat.

11. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I don't see a problem here.

The I - VIII DVD's where bestsellers and did unbeliveably well, with little to no marketing, some stores even had their own Red Dwarf cardboard cutout style shelves IIRC. I think I am also right in saying they frequently topped the DVD charts.

This despite YouTube and Bit Torrent.

12. Supposedly

Supposedly Skutter

I can definitely understand why desperate fans would view it on YouTube because they don't have access to Dave etc., but I'm pretty sure they would only do that out of necessity until the DVD is released.

Btw, already pre-ordered it myself. :-D

13. bentleyma

bentleyma Skutter

I'll buy the DVD just so I can say I own every episode of Red Dwarf.

14. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

...I don't think you'll be the only one!