Should Holly ever return?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Sep 9, 2016.

1. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

Ah yeah, I hadn't noticed that. That is tantalising isn't it!?

2. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Watching Quarantine over the weekend on Dave and it struck me just how little Holly appeared in V. I mean, one or two lines in Quarantine and then she disappears for the rest of the episode. Why couldn't she have helped when the boys were held captive? Couldn't she have tried to save/stop Rimmer in some way? She just disappears without explanation.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well she did say there was a problem with the cargo bay doors and that rimmer put in an override so maybe she couldn't help, its one of those things where the plot wouldn't have worked with holly able to sort it out herself

if it was series 8 they would likely have had the holly watch and asked him for help and he would have made a joke that wasn't very helpful and then the episode would have continued

4. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

I quite liked that. Some of his lines were quite good, I thought?

5. HO HO HO I'M JMC

I think the reason they sacked her off is because they were struggling to think of things for her to do or say - so you would expect series five to be the nadir of the Holly character.

I guess it's easy to think, "well she could have just done x" - I know I do - but I suppose it's quite annoying if you're a writer, trying to tell the stories you want, and you keep thinking, "oh - such-and-such hasn't done anything for a while - I better shoehorn something in."

Story-wise, Rimmer and Lister were the heart of the early show - with Holly doing exposition and Cat doing light relief. When they shifted to monster-of-the-week-style stories, the character-driven stuff still (mostly) came from Rimmer or Lister. Theirs was the "situation" of the situation comedy.

With that in mind, I suppose you don't want too many other characters, or you're just multiplying the amount of stuff you have to juggle. The worse case scenario is you start arbitrarily sharing lines out (i.e., the dialogue works perfectly well with two characters, but you just have four or five people taking turns to chip in - because that's how many characters there are).

I guess they binned the Holly character to reduce the burden of finding things for non-essential characters to do and say. We're now back to the classic format of Odd Couple + Mr Exposition + Mr Light Relief/Funny Interruptions.

6. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I tend to agree that Holly is just a spare wheel.

Kryten is a mobile exposition dispenser, Holly is static.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

holly can work for the show even with kryten around but he/she has to have a minimal presence for the sake of alot of the stories.

8. HO HO HO I'M JMC

Yes, I agree. If you take away the pressure to have him as a "main character", I'd be quite happy for him to pop up, from time to time, to get a laugh. I wouldn't even need to see him every episode.

EDIT: Or her :-)

9. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I guess I write fan-fiction in the extreme vain hope that I may one day get an episode aired or at least put it towards a portfolio. But I added Holly to some of my fan-scripts, then realised how redundant the character is compared to how integral he/she was in the early days. I found my self writing out more and more of her lines. I bet Doug has done the same thing once of thrice on several drafts and just realised over and over again that the character is played out. It was great in the show's early days but now we have Kryten to explain what the smeg is going on and he can translate the readings from the navicomp etc

10. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

I really would like to see any version of Holly even if it were for brief moments only. The tone of the show has changed since the earlier years and I can appreciate the difficulty in placing lines in for an arguably redundant 'Computer'.

I think an occasional appearance would serve as wonderful nod to the actor/actress as well for us fans. How about a 2016 Holly who really is beginning to go senile and just wonders away from the screens most of the time?

11. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

I'd be happy to see Norman Lovett again too.