Should the show get a proper ending?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Mar 27, 2016.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

What do you think? should they end the show with a conclusion to the whole series or keep it open?

I mean there has obviously been a arc over the series about getting back to earth or lister being the last human that could feel like it should come to some kind of conclusion but at the same time you may feel you prefer the show being left open with it in mind they continue to have adventures that can continue in books,graphic novels and whatever else they wanna do, although they could do that anyway if they set it in between series 8 and back to earth for example.

Although show endings can be quite disappointing also as i remember reading dougs original ending for series 8 when he was planning on finishing the show so he could start the movie which i am glad that ending didn't happen as it sounded pretty bad.

2. Laylora

Laylora First Technician

Do you have a link for that ending?

Personally I wouldn't like to see a conclusion to the series. It would be too final and would break my heart. I never really believed they would make it back to Earth after all.

Bumming round space forever.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

IIRC it was something about Red Dwarf crash landing on earth and Lister apologising for the mess as he steps out of the ship. Being generous, it sounded pretty uninspiring.

For my part, no I'd rather not see a show finale. The track record with resolving cliff-hanger endings is not particularly great IMO and I don't think it's that unreasonable to take this as an indicator of the sort of standard that might be expected of a final episode. The problem with genuine last ever episodes is that you only get one shot at them, mess it up and it can colour how fans view the rest of the previous series in retrospect (For example the appalling sounding Brittas finale, to be fair here I haven't seen it myself but based on Bluey's reviews which were the first I'd heard about it, it sounds like the some of the laziest, most unoriginal writing) and I unfortunately wouldn't be too shocked to see a final episode where Lister steps out of a Stasis Pod to find it had all just been a dream.

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think I would somewhat like some sort of ending. Although I'd hope it wouldn't be along the lines of what Simon suggests, lister coming out a stasis pod etc..

5. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I wouldn't mind seeing an advertised 'final episode' one day but one that takes inspiration from shows like The Soprano's and Seinfeld, where the final scene is quite low key.

I'd like to see them have some sort of adventure/problem like they do, solve it and come back to the ship, with the final scene being Lister eating curry, Kryten mopping, Cat grooming himself and Rimmer alphabetising something, all looking content. Remember at the end of X Rimmer said 'plot a course for Red Dwarf, the slimes coming home.

I don't think getting back to earth is the natural conclusion to the story.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

They should all die of old age & Rimmer is left alone for all eternity. Holly's personality long gone he cannot turn himself off as his hard light drive is broke & the last image we see is him weeping as he realises he will exist forever without rest or end alone in a godless dead universe.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I hope they do get back to the Earth of their 3 million years' time period, as I am curious what they will find. I'm suggesting they necessarily stay there, but I think there could be a good story based around a homecoming.

I wouldn't mind seeing something more of the Earth of the time period they came from too, be it a time travel jaunt (but with a believable reason for returning back to the future at the end of the episode) or backflash. But not instead of visiting Earth of the 3 million years future.

I got the impression the latest series might actually deal with something like that in an episode. There were no great plot spoilers, but I remember a certain episode described as dystopian, and mentioning things in common with the books...

I would not want the show to finally end back on 22nd/23rd/whatever it is/ Earth however.

I'd like the arc to be addressed.... but that need not be the end.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

It was gonna be called 'Earth' and Red Dwarf was gonna crash to Earth creating a massive tidal wave that was gonna wipe out alot of the population and it was gonna end with Lister swapping insurance details

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Whilst Red Dwarf has an "objective", it has been ignored for far too long for them to bring it back in really. And, to add to that, Red Dwarf will forever be remembered as a comedy with the last human, a dead man, a (relatively) highly evolved cat, and a neurotic robot generally messing around in space. Not finding Earth.

Generally, I don't feel any ending can do Red Dwarf justice, nor do I feel it warrants an "ending". Sure, they can stop doing episodes (and I wouldn't want it to continue forever anyway - the cast are getting on as it is), but I just can't see them doing an "oh and by the way, they found Earth".

However, and I realise I'm probably going back on the points I've just made, I could be happy with an ending if they do it right. Red Dwarf has never been a show with an overarching plot. Yeah, there's Earth, but they forgot about that ages ago. They've had so many opportunities to stay and get away from the Dwarf. Not to mention all the plot threads that seem to have been forgotten about from Stasis Leak / Future Echoes that just got forgotten about. But for me to be happy, it would have to be a long, concentrated plot that builds slowly over a few series (where an episode or two per series includes them finding more information/doing something relevant, and the rest is standard Red Dwarf stand-alone episode fun). Doug would basically have to have a firm idea of what he wants to do, and then mould Red Dwarf around it for a few series.

10. Pendo

Pendo Second Officer Fan Club Team

I would rather them keep Red Dwarf open ended for as long as possible, but if they absolutely knew there wouldn't be any more shows then I wouldn't be against one final episode. If they were to bring the show to a close, I would like to see a big event TV Movie with them finding Kochanski and finally returning somehow to Earth (but in a much more interesting and funnier way than planned for the end of Series 8). Of course this all depends on quality. If Doug can't find an interesting story, or can't make it funny, then just leave it open.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

If they made an event tv movie for perhaps the 30th in 2018 id be fine with that aslong as it had a budget and wasn't like back to earth ;p

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I think an ending would have to come in the form of a feature-length if it's going to do the series any justice. BtE watched back-to-back is that, so it's doable if they can persuade Dave to agree. Having said that, I don't relish a RD 'film' interrupted by Dave's endless ad breaks... although one could always wait for the dvd.

Whatever, I have absolutely no faith or hope for the new series, or anything that might follow for that matter. It's a farcical show now... a pantomime, with actors who no longer have any connection with their characters.

The show will live on forever as far as I'm concerned, because I have my box set, but it ended at series 8 in my opinion.

13. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Having seen series XI, episode 6 being recorded - I fear you may choke on those words, sir!

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Indeed. XII episode 1 would also like a word.

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It ended at series 8? But even those who don't think New Red Dwarf that great seem to feel that X was an improvement on 8. 7 and 8 are considered by many fans (or at least the vocal ones) as the nadir of Red Dwarf. Not speaking for myself. I liked even those series, (although 8 was a bit dodgy in places) and I really liked 7.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Why? I did stress that as far as I was concerned, it ended at series 8. I wasn't suggesting it actually ended :shock:

No, I'm another one of the few that likes series 7. Series 8 isn't brilliant, but compared to X it's a masterpiece.

17. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I'm pretty sure the whole point of their posts was "these episodes might change your mind".

18. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Ooh, apologies if this was indeed their point. If it was, I genuinely hope they're correct. Nothing would make me happier than to come on here and admit I was wrong.

19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Well, I can only speak for one - and it was very funny, very science based and great sets!!

Slow start - cracking middle! You'll be pleased Casper the friendly ghost!

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well if they're harking back to S1 and 2 then we're off to a good start as far as I'm concerned, but then some say they tried doing that with SX, and it didn't work.