Signatures

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Seb, Dec 27, 2017.

Should the length of signatures be limited?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2017.
  1. Yes - they're getting out of control!

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No - long signatures are fun!

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  1. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Okay, I've got to admit it - the long signatures are starting to bug me a bit. But at the same time, some of you are obviously having fun with them. So rather than steaming in with another one of these "This annoys me so I'm imposing a rule" thing, I want to gauge the mood of how you're all reacting to them.

So please vote in the above poll if you have an opinion on whether or not a limit should be introduced to the length of signatures, or if we should continue with the current free-for-all.

Poll will close on Sunday and I will abide by the result!

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I voted for yes. But the yes side is losing 3-1 at the moment. To be honest, it doesn't really bother me since I have signatures switched off.

jmc2000 likes this.
  3. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Long sigs are best sigs

Pembers likes this.
  4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

10 for no now. Who are all these people?

5. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Forum users Mr Blue.

6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I personally endorse @Bluey's position - we can always have them turned off, and it's not like anyone has crucial information in theirs.

99% of the stuff on this forum is surreal silliness anyway. I don't think it makes a massive amount of difference whether it's above or below the "-------------".

On the other hand, it won't hurt anyone to have a short sig either, so putting it to a referendum shouldn't offend anyone too much. I abstained due to lack of strong feeling!

7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

I voted yes. I was just trying to make a point to my young friend Abe. Never intended for it be permanent. Mines back to normal now , sorry if I offended anyone with my parody of Abe's monstrosity.

But yes, Sig.'s are meant to be a short profound or pithy saying reflecting the users persona , NOT a treatise in absurdist excess. I personally think Abe's Signature has crossed the lines of good taste in both content and length and am not afraid to say it. Yes, I can turn them all off but why should I have to censor everyone because of one abuser?

That's my say in it. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings Abe.

8. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I voted yes that there should be a limit, but still wouldn't mind if it was limited on the longer side, just not excessivly long.

9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I think there's something I ought to say. A good amount of my signature is made up of quotes which @BadOleSantabot has described as crossing the lines of good taste in content, and I think I can guess which ones these are. I added many of these in an effort to (perhaps too subtly) point out that, despite Harry having been banned from the forum, he has been making frequent trips into the unofficial chatroom where it is impossible to ban him, and that perhaps our best course of action might not be keeping quiet about it and pretending he's not. This message got mixed in with other things such as an anti-sockpuppet quote, a quote from @HO HO HO I'M JMC's disagreement with @neilold frankincense and myrrh on cliques, etc., but I do think we ought to stop pretending Harry's gone altogether, as he's not. I don't know if this was the right thread to do this in, but I'm not entirely sure there is any better one.

10. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Try to misdirect and fob off all you want. So what if you want to keep feeding the troll that is Harry in the chat? Why you gotta bring that crap in here? Yeah we all know this "information" that you seek to impart to us through your oh so subtle signature. We KNOW this, who doesn't? The biggest troll the forum has ever seen didn't just magically disappear when banned? Well , my goodness what's the world coming to? Geez, how old ARE you ,12?
    Nothing you try to say can change the fact that your signature is vulgar and in bad taste. Period. End of story and you know it.

FeeBee likes this.
  11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I tried to make clear in my post that I wasn't just saying that because of this thread, but because I needed to be more clear, and tried to clearly separate defending my signature from saying what needed to be said. I don't think the response you've just given me was appropriate or mature or, quite frankly, within the rules on the forum. I didn't intend to cause harm by bringing that up and am sorry to see it bothered you so much.

12. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I had actually thinking it'd been about time to compress my signature, and I do think I and a couple defending me have done a little bit of extra egging on with this matter, so I'd like to announce that later this evening I will be moving my entire signature into a thread of my collection of quotes and pictures that I think are important so that you only have to see all of it once, instead of making every page of forum I post on twenty times longer, and cutting my signature down to only a couple very good quotes and maybe a smaller picture.

Pembers likes this.
  13. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I can't even see the signatures... unless I view someone's profile.

14. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Have you got them switched off/are you on a mobile?

15. Kittypaws

On a mobile.

Edit to add: have switched to desktop version while on mobile - still can't see signatures. And they're not switched off.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    Abe likes this.
  16. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

This is probably where I differ from the rest of you lot - I can't turn them off, because I need to make sure they're always appropriate! But if there's half a page's worth of stuff in them, then it makes reading, for example, the Currently thread pretty much impossible...

It's a moot point anyway as the ones that were mega-long have now been toned down, so I'm happy to leave it all to your own devices for the foreseeable!

Abe, Pembers and BigOleDummy like this.
  17. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I have nothing more to add to this thread, other than I really don't think sigs are worth falling out over. Meh.

jmc2000, Kittypaws and Abe like this.
  18. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Oh yes they are :sulk:

Nikki the Great likes this.
  19. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Oohhh nooo theeey're noooot!

Pembers likes this.
  20. Kittypaws

He's behind you!