Single most irritating character in RD. Ever.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Jan 31, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Nooo. Red Dwarf really loses something from S3 onwards. Kryten becomes a regular character thus changing the dynamics, and Lovett is replaces by the awful Hayridge.

It's true that Lovett's Holly wasn't the same or as funny when he returns late in S7, but he's still THE Holly.

2. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Huh. That was one of the few jokes in Pete that actually worked for me.

3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It may be another "I'll get me coat" moment but Parallel Universe is up there with the best of RD for me - despite the shocking but absolutely comedy gold end it is a really upbeat, feel good finale for the show and one of my favourite last episodes. I really enjoy the female Lister and Rimmer's performances too.

As for Hattie's Holly though I don't think she is as good as Norman I still feel she is excellent and the most suitable replacement for him.

But anyway back to the original post, the most irritating character in RD Ever - and I know a lot of people have said the same - has to be Birdman. So inane as to not be comic in the slightest...just pathetic and totally cringeworthy.

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

David Ross' Kryten.

How on earth did I forget him?

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Ohhhhh I like him!!!

Kryten in series 3 is quite annoying.

Why no mention of the series 8 skutters?

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

If David Ross had returned as Kryten , I possibly would have left Red Dwarf using an escape pod never to return to watch again.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's the kind of 'humour' that makes me want to throw a heavy object at my TV screen. Though it at least fits in well enough with the style of series 8 if you're into that.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I disagree, I've always felt that Series III is where Red Dwarf really gets into its stride and far from losing anything it becomes the show that I loved. I and II were good, but III-VI were better IMO.

Lovett's Holly in VIII was a pale imitation of the original incarnation. His jokes (Not necessarily his fault) and delivery (His fault) were nowhere near the standard of anything in the first five series including Hattie's Holly and I'm not inclined to give him a free pass just because he got there first.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I wonder if Ross had returned with better writing and makeup if people might have looked on his Kryten a bit more favourably.

10. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Also surprised to read the Hattie hate. I much preferred her to Norman, probably because the first Red Dwarf I saw was Series IV. I never much liked Norman, on screen or off it he just seems a bit off and I can't warm to him.

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

As much as I love Red Dwarf, this is going to be a big list....and I'll do it mostly in order of season.

Series 2
    - Arlene Rimmer

Series 3
    - Blaize Falconberger (Ruby Wax in Timeslides)

Series 4
    - Stan Laurel

series 6
    - Polymorph Ace Rimmer

Series 8
    - Ackerman
    - Kill Crazy
    - Birdman
    - Baxter
    - Dr. Lucas McClaren
    - Dr. Karen Newton
    - Data Doctor
    - Big Meat
    - The Ground Controller who said "Come back Mr Sucks!"
    - Mex
    - Nigel
    - Archie
    - Talia Garrett
    - The Chocolate Dispenser
    - I'm sure there are other annoying characters I'm forgetting about but that's off the top of my head!

BTE
    - Katerina Bartokovsky
    - Noddy

Series 10
    - Sim Crawford
    - Medi-Bot
    - Taiwan Tony

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Tony Hawk in Better Than Life.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Wrong x

14. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Sacrilege!!!!!

15. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I liked Kill Crazy, he was my favourite prisoner.

Mine are the medibot from season 10 and Arlene Rimmer. There are probably others but I can't think of them right now.

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

The only ones that come to mind are most of the guest cast from series 8, and the medi-bot from RDX. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it all.

Oh, except perhaps (as I've begun to realise) Ace from Stoke Me A Clipper. I can understand why he's like what he's like in Emohawk (it was just Rimmer with confidence, though still don't think he should have been in there), but in series 7 he's just a joke.

17. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Does the dancing Blue Midget count? :P

I'd have to say the Medi-Doctor & Taiwan Tony from X. From prior series, Epideme, way too over the top, and Blaize Falconburger (sorry, Ed Bye!)

18. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I forgot about Epideme (or mentally tried to repress him). Yeah, he was annoying, and to make it worse he was in a heck of a lot of the episode too.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can understand why some people find the character annoying, but I really liked Epideme. Gary Martin's excellent vocal performance really makes the episode for me.

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

The medi-doctor appears to be a very (un)popular one, but for the life of me I can't think who/what it was?