Smeg Ups Rant

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Jan 12, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

dont get me wrong the smeg ups are funny and always worth a watch, but it annoys me when some fans are almost encoraging the cast to do them for the new series :?

i mean the momment you look forward to the smeg ups more then the actual show... then we got a problem :shock:

thats my rant over with ;-), hope i offended no one ;-)

2. ReflexReaction

ReflexReaction Third Technician

Certainly wasn't any news for encouragement at the two filings I went to--- the cast ****** up all the time...

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ant E likes this.
  4. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I don't know about encouraging them. But they certainly added to my overall enjoyment of the whole filming experience. I love watching the Smeg Up DVD's and Video's, but actually see them first hand....well, they will be memories I shall always treasure. It is also the first thing people told me they had enjoyed when talking about attending live recordings. I'll never forget seeing the blank look come across Chris Barrie's face when he knew it was his line....or Danny hold up a magazine which featured an article on angling and crying "Fish!"

Just out of interest, how are fans encouraging the smeg ups?

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

just comments on twitter towards the cast about smeg ups

i mean obviously there will al;ways be smeg ups and thats a nice little extra but when thats the first thing some people can think about and almost making the cast feel the need to please

rant over :-)

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

What he said. RR, please watch the language in future. If necessary, take a look at the etiquette guide Bluey linked to. Cheers.

7. ori-STUDFARM

That explains it then...I left Twitter a while back in favour of keeping my family. The kids had forgotten what I looked like from the front!! That will be why I was puzzled by the term "fans encouraging". To be fair, the cast didn't really play up to the "smeg ups" in the episode I saw recorded. A couple of comedy looks at camera and that one moment with DJJ....that was about it.

8. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

"Oooh Matron"

Ant E likes this.
  9. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

Agreed. Same at the 7th of Jan recording.

10. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I was a bit perturbed to hear Chris reverted to his Kenneth Williams impressions between takes...
    I mean the only reason he'd do that was because the fans know he does it on the first Smeg Ups tape, there's certainly no topical reason why a Kenneth Williams impression would be done on a show filmed in 2012 and set....oohhhhhh AGES after! :-p

I mean, not wanting to be harsh but I know there's no reason Chris would've updated his impressions bank since about 1991 so there wouldn't be much else he could do if it was impressions time (EXTRODINARY?) but to do KW again just seems like milking it a bit.

But that's me, getting annoyed about inconsequential things since time immemorial! :-D

11. ori-STUDFARM

It has become a bit of a Red Dwarf tradition. I was actually disappointed that we didn't get to hear it at the second recording.....not even once!

12. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Me too :-) I was waiting for it, but it never came for us that night, ah well, i'm looking forward to seeing all the series smeg up's on the dvd. I suspect we;ll see the one where Craig was stood in a certain part of the studio waiting to enter the set, while Cris and Bobby kept smeggin' up their lines..."erm, it's still getting hotter up here guys". :-)

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

he didnt do it in the series 7 or 8 smeg ups, nor can i remember him doing it in 6 smeg ups :shock:

you sure its tradition?

14. ori-STUDFARM

It's the first thing that springs to my mind when I think of the smeg ups...

Although, I have to say there is one absolute classic from the second recording involving a prop....I won't say more than that.!!

(You watch, that'll just be rubbish when we see it on the TV screen now....!!)

15. sundayforsammy

Mr Guitar

Asclepius likes this.
  16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What about it?

17. sundayforsammy

Non of your business Mr Bluey. :shake:

18. GavinFinner

GavinFinner Third Technician

Don’t get me started on Smeg UPS. I won a competition on the Smeg OUTS VHS to be an extra on Red Dwarf and never received my prize. :sulk:

19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

[​IMG]