So about that Series VIII resolution...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stirmaster, Nov 9, 2012.

1. ShrunkenPixel

ShrunkenPixel Second Technician

I've just had a look at it, but I found that I had to physically download the clip in order to play it in a player that allows me to slow the video down enough to read the scrolling text you added in at the end. It was just a bit too fast for my eyes to comfortably read in a small Youtube window.

I thought it was well written though, definitely in the Dwarf style - I think this is the best version so far, I'll accept this into canon until the show explicitly says otherwise no problem :-)

2. SedatedTabloidReader

SedatedTabloidReader Skutter

Look, it's all very simple.

Lister wakes up, sees Rimmer taking a Holographic shower aboard Starbug 1 and he quickly works out that series VII, VIII, BTE, and X were all a terrible dream.

Then we start again with a clean sheet.

So the real question is not, what happened at the end of series XIII, but what happened at the end of series VI?

Then we burn the masters tapes of the later series and start again like nothing ever happened.

:-D

3. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I mentioned that earlier and there were no takers of my Dallas theory. But it would be funny.

4. ShrunkenPixel

The Dallas retcon (I'm assuming you're referring to when Bobby was resurrected because it was all a dream) was never really credible even among the fans of Dallas. That's why pretty much everyone knows it, it was laughably bad.

Which ironically makes it ideal for Red Dwarf. I can see the show doing something like this at some point, because it is something that's really funny to do at least once, but I'm thinking that it would only really pay-off in a good way if the event being retconned only happened in the previous episode or something. That would be hilarious.

As a resolution for a decade-old point of discussion, it's far too simple and a large of viewers would simple get annoyed. At least with the lack of a resolution that The Beginning offered, nobody's personal theories were being undone so it's easier to keep people happy since nobody's personal canon got it's toes trod on.

That's why videos like the one posted above are great. They're not by Doug Naylor, they're not being imposed on us - but we're still able to view them, and make our own minds up whether we like the explanation on offer or not it's totally up to us.

That being the case, I suppose the Dallas theory is as good as any if you really feel comfortable and happy going with it :-)

5. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I'm glad that at least a few people are taking my new ending - the mix of the bonus footage and my own additions - as canon now :-D I feel good at my ability to write classic dwarf style, being able to mimic a style is good for you to do before you can develop your own style. I feel the way I did it didn't tread on anyone's toes and gives a few laughs and a credible ending to the drama.

6. Ally1990

I suggested my Dallas theory as a joke - so bad it's good. It's not my personal favourite theory, but it may be the only one that could unite the majority of fans under one resolution. I mean, only if the cliffhanger bothers you. Which it does for some people. I try not to think about it.

7. ShrunkenPixel

I know, which is why it would be funny for the show to actually do this at least once :-)

All theories are good, no matter how complex or simple, or whether they're serious or a joke. The more there are out there the better, because it's a great way for us fans to get involved and means a whole lot more than everyone just moving on and not caring.

8. Ally1990

Agreed. Nicely put.

9. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

According to Twitter, the DVD release will contain the full resolution of the cliffhanger. No idea if this just a way to get up the DVD sales or not.

I liked how it was handled in the show. Even the people who have never seen series 8 found it funny. To be honest they could have used the time to simply put together dialogue explaining how it happened but they went for a joke instead.

10. Ally1990

Doug has said in interviews that they were gonna explain the cliffhanger in full and all serious (etc.) in episode one, but didn't for some reason. Perhaps it was filmed or storyboarded and it appears on the DVD. Or it might be a scan of the script or original idea.

11. ShrunkenPixel

Could be either... fool me once (blah blah...) fool me twice (you know what I mean?)

Still, if they're really going ahead with this, chances are that they'll simply ride with the deleted scenes from Only The Good, and do something similar to what Dodgebizkit did last night with the scrolley extra story at the end. I can't see how they'd be able to pull this off otherwise, as the cast have clearly aged a tad since Only The Good was made.

12. Deviblue

Deviblue Second Technician

To be honest I think not finding out what happened is the best way to go. and the gag cutting off the explanation was a great touch.

Any attempt at actually explaining what happened is always going to cause upset with someone and not knowing is better.

13. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

14. Stirmaster

Stirmaster Third Technician

Nice job, Crewman Hampton - I'm working out my own resolution, based around the fact that the BTE and X Red Dwarf looks much more like the Remastered-VIII one than it does the I-V. Basically, they stop the microbes by dumb luck, but not after it eats half the ship.

15. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

This non-resolution is wrecking havoc with the accuracy of my book.. I need to know which of the eight smegging Rimmer entries this series needs to go under!! :shock::shock:

16. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

how did Rimmer DIE?

17. Blackiety

Blackiety Skutter

I know that the DVD resolution standard is 720x480 (NTSC) and 720x576 (PAL). So to get a better viewing, you need to convert a DVD video from SD to HD. This means you will scale up the video image to fill the HD format (always with high resolution). Some converters can do that, but the video quality will not change and it may become even worse. You can take a DVD upscaler to help you: https://www.howtogeek.com/199430/how-can-you-make-dvds-look-better-on-your-hdtv/

18. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Alright, but, as @RECTUMfacedPYGMY put it,

19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Now you have me worried about what will happen at the end of series XIII. Thanks a lot, mate.

20. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

Im sure I once read a theory that each Red Dwarf series (or at least each major shift in tone/continuity) is essentially set in alternate dimensions and hence you can explain away the lack of continuity and the ret-conning/recasting/kryten suit changes. Given the heavier lean towards Sci-Fi and dimension Jumping over the really early stuff I think it kind of makes sense.

FeeBee likes this.