So Kochanski is 31....(gets out hand calculator)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Oct 26, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Just working backwards...

In Tikka to Ride Lister is 28. The events at the end of Ouroboros state that 18 months take place before the baby Lister is delievered which would leave him pushing 30. Even with the best good will in the world and discounting the fact that Lister and Rimmer appear to have spent significant time in prison in between Pete Part 2 and Only the Good Lets just give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was still 30 even after that series. Back to Earth is set "nine years later" leaving him pushing 40 years old even if Trojan happened the very next day.

Now let's take that age and count backwards. the earliest mention of Lister's age in series one is Future Echoes, where he states he is 25.

40 - 25 = a 15 year gap between Future Echoes and Entangled.

31 - 15 = Kochanski was only sixteen years old in Series 1! :eek:ops:

Time for another BBC investigation!!! :shock:

2. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

Indeed. Lovely as Chloe Annett is, I`m not sure she could pass for 31 anymore. God knows how old Lister is meant to be now.:-D

3. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Maybe she had spent a few more years in stasis after the radiation leak in her reality? Why am I making excuses for poor writing?

4. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

Yeah, it's a rather unfortunate example of Doug not thinking through his own writing.

5. bedfordfalls

Chloe is 41 now, Claire Grogan is 50. So yeah, being as kind as possible to those two ladies it's going to be a stretch by the time the character reappears.

I suspect Doug wants to keep her young for the purposes of keeping the character fertile which maybe hints at his direction for the future.

It might partly have been down to the casting of Sydney Stephenson too, given that she appears way younger than 31. Otherwise I can't see why he couldn't have picked a number closer to Chloe's real age. 36 would have been fine and in a sci-fi future hardly have made it seem impossible for her to still be able to bear a Jim and Bexley.

It would have also meant Kochanski was over 21 originally, which, while it would have made her something of a prodigy in the Space Corps wouldn't have been beyond the realms of fantasy.

I would like to have seen Andrew's script note on this! :?

That's a decent point I suppose...although him saying, "Kochanski was 31 when she left" would have drilled it home more.

Man, why can't Red Dwarf hire a continuity checker for stuff like this?

Even masters of their craft like Stephen King hire people to remind them of continuity when working with such a long twisted mythos.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it was probably something like THATS AMAZING DOUG YOU CAN DO NO WRONG :-)

7. bedfordfalls

Now, now. Andrew has had a very positive influence on Doug's writing since becoming script editor. I'm just interested to know if he picks him up on continuity troubles like this. I'm sure he does spot them but maybe its not part of his role.

Heard on G&T that someone at the filming picked them up on Rimmer calling Lister the "Second Technician of my dreams" and this was fixed with a "clever dub". Rimmer also erroneously referred to himself as a "former first tech" in Trojan...although it could just be that Doug is going on the continuity of the novels now, where Rimmer was always a First Technician.

8. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

I was going to make a topic about this yesterday, but I forgot.

Maybe she told him she was 31, and that Lister is maybe going a bit space crazy not knowing what day it is anymore after around 3000,000 years at Holly's rough estimate, so he's stuck at 31 with her. Hell, he probably doesn't even know how old he is now, and telling the time by the stars from where he's at is about as much use as a compass in space.

9. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

Well since in Series VIII Kryten refers to Kochanski as "hurtling towards thirty" I assumed that she was in her early twenties in Series VIII and then 9 years later in Back to Earth she would either be in her late twenties or early thirties so if we assume that Series X takes place no more than a year later then we can safely say that she probably is about 31.:-D

10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I'm just wondering if we know for sure that RDX's timeline is set after Back To Earth. I haven't seen any mention that it is, could it be somewhere inbetween VIII and BTE possibly. This would then make her age more believable.

11. CharlieTeague

No because Lister has on several occasions in Series X mentioned Kochanski being missing, if it were set before Back to Earth then Lister would think she was dead. Also Andrew Ellard confirmed a while ago on Twitter that Series X is indeed set after Back to Earth.

12. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Andrew Ellard has confirmed on Twitter that it's set after RD8 and Back To Earth.

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Isn't that what Red Lemon said in the post before yours?

14. tanjuanchine

tanjuanchine First Technician

maybe girls' age stay in certain year, and after that, they celebrate that day as anniversary of the "x" year, haha:lol::lol:

15. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Nope, he said that it was set after BTE. I was adding that he also said it was set after RD8, since people have made the argument that maybe BTE and RDX are not the same crew/dimension from RD8.

16. CharlieTeague

Now that's just dumb. I didn't mention series VIII because I assumed it was obvious to most people! I guess I was wrong.:?

17. bedfordfalls

I think you missed the point of my initial post. The problem isn't that she's supposed to be 31 now. The problem is that this would make her sixteen years old (or younger!) in Series 1! :shock:

18. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Perhaps he meant to say "Kochanski WAS thirty-one"

This could be a line-flub, or a mis-typing on Doug's part.

19. ben996

ben996 First Technician

There is no math to it!!! It's just another continuity error, Red Dwarf has had them right from the start, not the first and certainly won't be the last, end of.