So, Rimmer - Smeghead or maybe not?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by telegramsam, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lynseyjinn

lynseyjinn First Technician

Really? :lol: I'd love to do that sometime, but I'd never have the guts, even as a joke.

Ooh, I hadn't remembered that particular tendency of Rimmer's. (How the heck I could have missed it I have no idea. Does fangirling affect your eyesight? ;-)) Nope, haven't got anything to explain that one away. I apologise most profusely for talking about Rimmer so that you can be far more objective than the rest of us. ;-)*

*not trying to be nasty, this is just banter right?

2. CrazyFanNumber8725

CrazyFanNumber8725 First Technician

If i ever feel i need to post anything entirely serious on this forum... I put a disclaimer on it first to warn people away from reading it.

3. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Rimmer is smeghead what ever that means :-) But he did learn enough to start fighting smegines....

4. lynseyjinn

:-) Just checking.

5. Krysset80

Krysset80 Third Technician

A point I dont know if you discused here.. What if Rimmer have asbergers syndrom? Looked into that myself after suspecting I have it and its kinda funny how much it fits him like special intressts and poor social skills, just a tought :-p

6. lynseyjinn

Ooooh, there's an idea. Though I doubt he was actually written as a "character who has Aspergers", so to speak. Personaly, I think that would make him a weaker character, if there was a phsychiatric reason why he was such a smeghead rather than an upbringing related reason. It would make him an entirely different character too, as he would have been born with Aspergers, but I suspect that if Rimmer had had a different kind of upbringing, he'd have been far more amicable.

Hmm, I wonder if the fanfiction writers would be interested in this Aspergers idea...

7. Krysset80

Krysset80 Third Technician

It was the first thing that came to me when I read about it.. its Rimmer :-p If he has the thing it would meen he dont know that he is anoying or a smeghead in his mind he would be a great guy.

8. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

It's pretty hard to miss. That's what Rimmer is.

9. dgoods

dgoods Third Technician

To a certain degree' i think there is a little bit of rimmer in all of us.Although, i don't think anybody tries to be like that on purpose, there are times, when you can't help yourself and it just slips out.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

For some reason I found myself thinking of Holoship reading that.

I won't say why. My mind goes to a naughty place sometimes.

11. dgoods

dgoods Third Technician

Don't worry we all have naughty places in our minds,i seem to occupying mine most of the time.

12. geekrock82

geekrock82 Second Technician

Hmmm, I'm not so sure you're the only person to pick up on it, y'know - I mean, it's pretty much a defining characteristic of his, and is frequently referred to in both the show and the books. Take "Back to Reality", for example, where the entire source of his despair is that he can't blame his upbringing, or indeed anyone but himself, for his crappy life...

13. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I think even Lister said something to that effect in the first Ace episode, when Ace explained that the difference was that he was held back a year in school where as old Arnie wasn't and Ace learned to fight back. Lister then stated that instead his universe's Rimmer just kept on making excuses.

But yea, that's kind of the root core of Rimmer's problems, he can't overcome his weaknesses because largely he won't admit he has any; everything is someone else's fault. Sometimes I think it's probably the result of his mother and father and brothers, everything he did growing up was wrong and substandard and he couldn't catch a break from anyone or get any sympathy, so he starting giving himself a break instead and rolling around in self-pity and just kept on doing it. Kind of a pathetic over-compensation thing. :-(

Of course Rimmer fans all know that he just really really needs a hug. :P

14. CrazyFanNumber8725

That's one reason i don't like the hard-light hologram. it's so much better when a) no one is around who wants to be near him and b) even if there was, no one can touch him cuz he's a hologram.

it just makes him all the sadder.

15. peterrimmer

peterrimmer Third Technician

Existentially speaking, Rimmer has full choice of being who he want's to be:smeghead or hero.

16. CrazyFanNumber8725

And, existentially speaking, he made the right choice.

"Good may always win in the end, but Evil has more fun! Bwa-haha-ha-ha-ha!" -- Zanatos Maledictorious*

(*my level 27 neverwinter nights 1 necromacer.)

17. mrflibblesboss

mrflibblesboss Third Technician

i couldnt of put it better myself!

18. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Definately. Red Dwarf would be dead without Rimmer-Lister interaction, which I think is why Season VII wasn't as good as the rest

19. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

Yea, Kochanski just wasn't that interesting by comparison, I always felt like she was just kind of an empty placeholder. She wasn't a bad character overall, she just didn't *work* in the same context as Rimmer and wasn't nearly as funny, plus a lot of the "female stuff" jokes were real groaners.

20. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think most series of Red Dwarf have had at least one episode that attempted to show Rimmer as more than just a smeghead.

I - Me2
    II - Better Than Life, Thanks For The Memory
    III - Marooned, Timeslides (kind of)
    IV - Dimension Jump
    V - Holoship, Terrorform
    VI - Out Of Time (the better dead than smeg defiance instead of being a coward)
    VII - Stoke Me A Clipper
    VIII - Not sure about this, Only The Good?

I think the books explored Rimmer even further. What I find interesting about him is the fact that although he comes across as a snobby sort of character he has many class hangups himself. He's a snob because he's not high in the class system. He's obsessed with not having the "right nobby background". He's probably lower middle class trying to drag himself up, which means looking down on anyone he can like Lister. In some ways he's not that different from Lister but the difference is he's not comfortable with his place in life and Lister is. Lister (first series excepted) isn't really any stupider than Rimmer (in fact sometimes he's smarter) But Rimmer is unable to deal with this. But as a result of Rimmer's attempts to fit in with the upper class, he finds himself unable to relate to, or get on with anyone - not even himself.