So what happened between series 8 and BTE?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by frizzler, Apr 14, 2009.

1. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

He did say this after being told holly was going to be in the show and the bening told at the last minuet by Email that there was no need for Holly, who i would have prefered seeing more that katalina

2. J_Spaced

J_Spaced Second Technician

Hmm, baldy computer head, versus attractive and funny lady?

Sorry, no contest, Katarina was awesome. Holly had gotten a little... repetitive for me.

3. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

Attractive I'll give you that
    funny? not really she only appered in three or four scenes and only one was laugh out loud

4. KatieHingley

KatieHingley Third Technician

Just been reading all your ideas, they all seem very interesting and well thought out. I hope Rimmer is the original Rimmer who went off to be Ace.
    Katie :-)

5. DavetheGorilla

DavetheGorilla Skutter

Here are my thoughts on what most likely occurred in the first couple episodes of Red Dwarf Series IX:

Having escaped into the mirror universe, Lister and the others met brilliant scientist-versions of themselves who quickly reproduced the virus that was consuming their ship. This synthesized virus would, of course, then become the cure when brought back to the original universe. The scientists also gave them a group of destructive nanoprobes which would likewise transform into constructive nanoprobes after the return home. Once there, these constructive probes helped to reassemble and rebuild the Red Dwarf from its scattered fragments -- though the ship ultimately ended up somewhat different in shape and size. In addition, the nanoprobes also helped replenish the ship's food supply and even built new Starbug and Blue Midget ships to replace the ones used to evacuate the other crew members. Lastly, the senile version of Holly in Lister's watch was then uploaded back into the ship's main computer and reassumed control.

Despite having saved the Red Dwarf in the nick of time, our heroes were too late to save the human Rimmer from being captured and killed by the Grim Reaper. As for all the other crew members who fled, they too were found to have perished because their escape vessels got infected by the virus just before departure. This means that Lister was now once again the last remaining male human in the universe.

As for the holographic Rimmer who left in Season VII to become Ace, he was now revealed to have botched his first mission and wound up being captured. Hence, throughout the course of Series VIII, he had been incarcerated in an enemy POW camp with an alternate but similar version of Lister, just like his living counterpart on Red Dwarf was stuck in the brig with the original Lister.

Eventually, the POW camp was liberated by a heroic, macho version of Rimmer who was native to that dimension. The macho Rimmer than took over the role of Ace and sent the original Rimmer back to Red Dwarf. Over the nine years that followed, Holly slowly and gradually adjusted Rimmer's physical appearance to create the illusion that he was aging just as Lister and the Cat were for real. This was probably done at the request of Lister who used it as another means of getting on Rimmer's nerves.

Agree with my logic? Disagree? Let me know.

6. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

According to Norman Lovett, this is exactly what happened. But not according to Doug on the Directer's BtE commentary. He says Norman was told Holly may be in it. But Doug knew that the only way he could fit Holly into the story was if BtE was going to be 3 episodes in length instead of the originally planned 2 episodes. Norman called up demanding to know before the day was through and Doug told him he couldn't say one way or another. Then Norm went off on one of his famous 'anti-Red Dwarf' internet campaigns. Shame really as BtE did eventually get it's third part. Too late for Norm though

7. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

I never liked how the new Rimmer in 8 and BTE had no memory of all the adventures the old Rimmer had with is crew mates. Cant believe Normen lovett as been slaging all the cast off though? they always seemed so tight.

8. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

BTE Rimmer, whether Series VIII nano-Rimmer or not, is aware of the Despair Squid.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well series VIII Rimmer read a bunch of logs and knew about the events of Future Echoes and Backwards.....so logic would dictate that he knew about the despair squid too.

10. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I'm not sure but I'm guessing it was a White Hole.

11. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

So what is it?

12. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I don't know...*Muffled* Idonno!

13. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

A white hole?

14. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the Universe; a white hole returns it.

15. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

So what is it?

16. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Oh, somebody punch him out!

17. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

Only joking!

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

So, what happened between series 8 and BTE. It’s a question that often goes through my mind, not just in Red Dwarf, but any sitcom, or any soap or film for that matter. What, exactly, do the characters do when not being filmed?

Does Dave carry on drinking lager and biting his toe nails? What does he wear while doing it? Does Kryten go and do the laundry? What song does he whistle while doing it? How about Rimmer? Does he practise salutes, put his H straight in anticipation of TV cameras visiting once again to record life aboard the ship? Does the Cat go and make even more things his?

The answer, I think, is that Red Dwarf does not exist outside of what has been documented thus far. Maybe it could if its creators have written a story but not released it to the public. Then, I suppose, one could argue that somewhere in time and space Red Dwarf life has progressed in a manner of speaking.

What about during an episode? Say if Kryten is in the Laundry at the end of a scene, and the next time you see him he is in the Bunk room. How did he get there? Is there discarded film of him walking the journey? Is it written in a subscript just to make sure he gets there?

No, of course not! At the end of series 8, the director shouted, “Cut!” and the adventures of Red Dwarf and its crew ceased to progress any further. Dave Lister became Craig Charles in a leather jacket; Kryten vanished from the space-time continuum and Robert Llewellyn went to get out of a rubber suit. And nothing Red Dwarfian happened for quite a while. Until…

… until the director shouted, “Action!” and they all plopped back into ‘reality’ once more!

So, in answer to the poster’s question, I reply, “Absolutely nothing. Use your imagination!” But maybe that was what I was invited to do in the first place. :-) :eek:ops:

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Agree with the above.

We should stop worrying about the tiny details & just enjoy it.

20. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Is that a positive sentiment from Mr Negativity I hear? [read, not heard] :-)