So who is Rimmer's [redacted]? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ant E, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Ooh! Lookit! There he goes with his cute little angry face! Ooh, isn't he just so SERIOUS?

2. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol anti thinks I'm a DJ because i asked who else is going to DJ (Dimension Jump) haha you know the title of the thread you took this from?? you know where all the people go for red dwarf? lol how thick are you mate? :-)

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Hmm, the problem is that the word "chav" is that it is a southern corruption of the northern term "charver", something the Scots know as "neds" and, as I mentioned this catch all term has come to represent very different things from its origin, in part due to being hi-jacked by idiots like the Sun newspaper who have basically confused it with someone with poor taste in dress sense and/or choice of alcoholic beverage. You don't even need to be poor to be a "chav".

I'm not talking about that.

I'm originally from Newcastle upon Tyne. I grew up working class. My Dad was a steelworker and my grandparents were miners. I know what the working class are and I know what a charver is: I know the difference, I know about the underclass that Thatcher created and the systematic malaise that successive governments, both Labour and Tory allowed to continue, because I grew up among it and I see echoes of it it every time I go home. So yes, JMC, I do have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. I got out of the trap and transcended my origins. I've lived and worked all over the world and can view it with perspective as a very real social problem of intellectual and occupational abandonment: Four generations of children raised by children who were themselves raised by children in a generation that was thrown to the wolves and so, by now, know nothing better.

I don't hate them as many do, because I understand the issues that created them as a subculture and I know how hard it is to get out of that hole.

Here's what I do hate though: people who write books about the "demonisation of the working class" without understanding the difference, without understanding the problem and without understanding the mindset. They're almost as bad as people who quote such books as opinion while being unable to defend their principles with anything other than a one word rebuttal.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Hilarious response!
    I am not unable. I simply choose not to. There's a difference mate!! :x:x:x

5. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

6. simulant37

lol

PS - Rimmer's [redacted]? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS] is Kaspar Hauser

7. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol are you going to Disk Jockey XVII?!?! huh anti :P

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Probably not, but most of the people whose ignorance you refer to probably do (the abstract view that is, not the private jet! :P).

It's people's failure to understand the real underlying social problem that has led to this caricature in the first place. The fact that people can be rich and still be labelled a 'chav' is basically because they are playing at being something that's much more unfortunate than the mere desire to superficially dress and act in a certain way. We see it in other subcultures too: The poverty and social exclusion that created ghettos and slums in America and which inspired a collective of middle class white kids to copycat, listen to NWA and suddenly think they were somehow the same.

I could talk about this all day but I don't want to go mindlessly off-topic. I wasn't just born around it, I've studied it and written papers on it. The problem is very deep but as we've both identified, really we are talking about two different things; the reality and a characterisation of that reality. What bothers me is people who fail to understand that there is such a subculture and confuse it with the working class (and, as I alluded too, whole books have now been written based on this misunderstanding). It's the reason successive governments have ignored it and allowed it to fester...because they didn't think it was real either.

It is.

9. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

I can remember "Long Haired Hippies"
    They are now running the world or ruining it!

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

No no don't worry I know what the red dwarf DJ is! I was referring to you personally - just found you on a dj remix website! Nice tracks? Ummm L O L L O L!! Didn't know you could get Christian bible remixes!! Hahahahahahahahahaha wow! Now I get the hat!! Baaaa ha ha ha:lol:

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol yea nice cover matey ohh :-D
    i have never dj'd in any way ever :P

12. Ant E

hahaha you liiiiieeee!!! Lol lol lol! If you're happy and you know shout Reznor!!! :lol:

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol ummm so first I'm something that is not even in my country or i even knew about because im wearing a hat hah and now i'm a christian DJ? LOL! wow
    is that all because you wont post your picture?? it's okay little :P

14. Ant E

why do you want to see my picture so much?? Are you in wwwoooovve??? :shock: :shock: a Chav Christian dj! Lol well only in Canada, I guess! LOL

15. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol i want to see your picture just like you have seen mine and 80% of the other regs on here pictures 8)
    but don't worry i will see you at disk jockey XVII!!! yes? no?? :P

16. Ant E

good god no! Not my cuppa tea these conventions!! Wait, are you inviting me on a date???

17. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol would need a pic first if it's a date! and will heels be involved?? :O

18. Ant E

weird kid! On that bomb shell, Good night!!!!!!!!!!

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol sweet dreams little one ;-)

20. simulant37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5vhkTxlVB8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.