Soapies

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Sep 3, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

soap operas? Love them, hate them, or indifferent?

Personally I only watch EastEnders, but love it

2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

@Bluey also watches Eastenders. He's a really big Beppe fan.

[​IMG]

Abe likes this.
  3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't watch Eastenders. At least not these days. I did try it out years ago and I don't remember how long I continued watching it for, but eventually I gave it up. I even tried Coronation Street for a short while and Prisoner: Cell Block H for a bit longer.

Neighbours is the only soap opera I watch now. I started watching it years ago then gave it up for a long time before getting back into it just over a decade ago. It's improved a considerable amount in recent years but still has its ultra dumb and embarrassingly bad moments. I've had a rocky relationship with the show over the last year or two. I seem to be finally getting fed up of it and have come close to giving it up. And yet something keeps me watching. Whether or not I'll still be watching the show this time next year, we'll have to see.

4. neilold

I used to watch neighbours back at school in the Joe mangle, Kylie and Jason glory days

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I watch Coronation Street, never watched Eastenders. It does get a bit exhausting and ridiculous, the constant merry-go-round of relationships. I also enjoy the details. For example, the guy who works in Nick's Bistro but no one ever talks to him. Watch closely and you'll see the him in the background, he's a black guy wearing the waiter's uniform but no one ever talks to or even mentions him. Also I love how pretty much every episode features someone overhearing something. It's so formulaic it's like a self-parody. I love how the characters never go anywhere except the Rovers or the Bistro. I also notice how they never specify what type of beer they want. And the Rovers give people free drinks so often I'm surprised they're still in business.

6. neilold

Lol, yes there's a lot stupid about them. Ridiculous stories, formulaic plot enhancement, unsatisfactory story endings, stories that dissaper without conclusion, the sexual merry go round of interbreeding, stereotype characters and often terrible actor s.

However, despite all this, and more, they can still hook you and tantalise you. You get to know the characters and invest emotion in them, plus natural human curiosity, a strong storyline and a love for gossip and scandal can draw you in