something lister says in the dvd shop

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by liscatkryrim, Apr 14, 2009.

1. liscatkryrim

liscatkryrim Skutter

I'm new to the club,i'm 19 yrs oldand have watched RD since i was little. I can't understand something lister say's in back to earth in the dvd shop in episode 2. Lister say's when reading the cover of the back to earth case that back to earth takes place after series 10 but there is only 8 series. Also later on in this episode they go to that shop looking for answers, when they get inside they see a bath tub which the shop keeper say's is from one of the set's in the 9th Series used by lister. Agian there is only 8 series. Am i missing something?

cheers.

2. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

There were 9 series in the fictional hallucination they were in. Not in real life (as in our life).

3. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Doug has said there won't be a series 9, but maybe a series 10. This is presumably because too much time has passed between 8 and now for them to just continue the same story, so the plotline of having these specials set further ahead in the timeline of RD than we're at was to give them a clever way of getting around having to resolve the cliffhanger. Thats why there were all the jokes about series 9 being "the best series ever" - since it probably won't happen even if they do get another series, they'll go straight to series 10!

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Man, people have taken this one little joke awfully seriously...!

5. elCrawler

elCrawler Third Technician

Most likely a long shot, but do you reckon there'll be a novelisation of the non-existant Series 9 at some point?

6. MooMooYew

MooMooYew Third Technician

Hey Andrew,
    So it's definately a joke? Just.. in the video on dave he seemed to gave quite a serious think before answering.

7. MacabreMagpie

Plus he said "that may sound cryptic but it will make sense after the special". If it was a joke it was delivered more serious than needed lol.

8. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Not really, I understood it right away.

I'm not entirely sure why people are having trouble understanding that the fictional hallucination they where having and the real world series we watch on TV are not the same thing.

Doug was refering to the former as a joke.

9. 03hendersonr

03hendersonr Skutter

What Doug said about there being no series 9 but a series 10 would have made sense If Lister has said that Back to Earth had continued on from series 9 but he didn't he said it continued on from series 10

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Almost as if it was just a little gag he came up with while a camera was pointed at him and not a detailed plan for the future of the series...

11. MacabreMagpie

But what happened in the episode seems to play into his comment that there would be no series 9. All the references to series 9 being "the best series ever" only work as a joke if there isn't going to be a series 9. And plus, they've told us that Kochanski "died" in series 9 and then revealed what actually happened so if there was a series 9 that followed in the continuity of this episode (which you'd assume it would) then it would take away from it if we already know a major plot twist from the off.

I'm not arguing, mind.... just pointing out that it all seemed to fit into place :P

12. giga

giga Third Technician

This is the man who told us Chloe would not be in the specials...

13. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

When did he say Kochanski won't be in it? Link plz.

14. Decklocation

Decklocation Skutter

Hell yeah I thought that would be classic Red Dwarf humour! Skipping an entire series and explaining what happened to the crew with a Star Wars style rising text!

I'm glad to see people discussing what happened in the episodes themselves and not just a load a of people siging up just to say that they didnt like it.

15. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Personally I think doing series 10 next would be brilliant. It would mean not having to resolve the series 8 conundrum at all. I think, joke or not, it is a genius idea.

16. Squizz

Squizz Guest

I rather liked the skipping series idea, plus if it happened there'd be something amusing about having a dvd black hole on the shelf, :lol:

17. Miranda

Miranda Skutter

Add me to the list of people approving of skipping a series from a comedy/interesting point of view!

Suits Red Dwarf somehow ;-)

18. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

when a producer or director of a show says soemthing the fans always take it as fact like russel t davis saying a certain baddie will not return to dr who while hes in charge .. looks like he is telling porkies ..though the idea of there being no series 9 and carrying on with 10 i think would be brilliant like the Traveling Wilburys 2nd album being called volume 3.. even if doug meant it as a joke, if there is another series it should be 10 ,or 11...................

19. Vincent

Vincent Skutter

There is no series nine because all the DVD's were lost. :P

20. RED_sam_DWARF

RED_sam_DWARF Skutter

is series nine not the BTE episodes?