Spin off

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Diet_coke, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed on the board. However I was wondering which red dwarf character would be a good character to have a spin off series made for.

The first one that springs to my mind is Legion, I think legion was a fascinating character and it would be fascinating to see all the things he would get up to.

2. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I think Ace Rimmer would be the popular choice but I can't help but think he'll just get annoying after a few episodes.

It might be interesting to follow one of the Rimmer brothers and learn how their upbringing has had a similar/dissimilar affect as it did on Rimmer. This has already been hinted at with Trojan.

I also think a spin off could work with characters not previously seen on the show. Perhaps the crew of a rescue mission that was sent after the missing JMC mining ship, all equally incompetent as the RD crew and it turns out that all this time they've been so close to each other.

A Nova V or Kryten spin off might work, showing his life before Red Dwarf. Or perhaps a cat race spin off? Maybe a Parallel Universe spin off following the lives of Arleen and Deb? I think the possibilities are endless.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Interesting thread. One that occurs would be The Inquisitor, following him around as he assesses each new victim and deciding whether they deserve to exist or not and if not, who they were replaced by. It could end up a bit like an evil version of Quantum Leap. Or maybe we could see what actually happened to the resurrected Red Dwarf crew after they abandoned ship.

But in all honesty, I think most spin-offs would be pretty terrible (Yes, even my own suggestions). After all, in reality most spin-off series I can think of are.

4. Clarence

Clarence First Technician

Mork and Mindy was a pretty good spin off!

5. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

I think the only one that could be a spin off with any longevity would be 'The Inquisitor'.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'd love a Jake Bullet or Dwayne Dibbley spinoff, but I doubt either would work as anything other than one-offs.

7. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I think Harry's idea of Legion has merit.

As he/she/it doesn't take form without other people around, it creates space for different actors/characters to come in and add variety each week.

Maybe have a core group of three characters each week working on a space station which gets regular visits from ships passing through the local star system. It would give the writer(s) great scope for different storylines and keeping it fresh.

The Legion character could take on the whole variety of personalities, traits, gifts and abilities, conflicts....

Hmm, food for thought.

8. Diet_coke

I agree Strat, I also loved the idea that legion could create their each persons idea of perfect, like lister got his dream bedroom. And they could go and use this thing to interact with anyone they desire, sounds like unreal fun!

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Legion would be a great one I feel! Another I may like to see would be Olaf Petersen. Given his penchant for alcohol but also being a Catering Officer would make an interesting combination. Him & Keith Floyd would get on famously! lol :lol:

10. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

I'd like to see a Kryten or Cat spin off.

11. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Clearly the scutters are in desperate need of a spin off.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A spinoff about his time aboard the Nova 5 might just work.

13. Santa Paws

Good point. :-)

14. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

Androids. We need to see Androids. I want to know what happens between Brook and Kelly.

15. Santa Paws

Ha..! Me too! :P

16. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Read the Smegazines, there's a whole comic dedicated to them... =)

17. Diet_coke

I thought of this because I have been watching "Better Call Saul" which is a spin off from "Breaking bad". I think Better call saul could be just as good or better than breaking bad. Very enjoyable spin off imo.
    However i can concede, that a Red Dwarf spin off is not only highly unlikely but would most probably turn out to be quite awful. It's fun to see if anyone has ideas and/or speculate possibilities.

18. An Arlene and Deb spin-off would probably be quickly turned by pressure groups into a non-stop pious rant on feminism, and become very old very quickly.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

A weekly spin off detailing Holly's chess game with Gordon.

20. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

The adventures of Hogey the Roguey!