[Spoilers] Red Dwarf XII episode titles & synopsis

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by jedshepherd, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

I hope this is in line with the forum policy, and if not please delete Seb. As you all know, due to a printing error the proposed episode titles for Series XII were printed on the Series XI steelbook. Some of you have been unable to find it on social networks, so I will cut and paste below. What some people don't know is that on the Japanese Blu, there was an insert with a full episode synopsis for each episode. Once again, if this is not allowed, please delete this post. Also please forgive the Japanese translation (I used google translate!)

Episode 1: Syri
    The crew of Red Dwarf come across a dilapidated vessel floating through space. This ship's computer, 'Syri' is able to grant Lister anything he wishes, but at what price? Meanwhile Rimmer, Cat and Kryten learn new levels of friendship while stuck in a suicidal lift.

Episode 2: Emit
    The crew of Red Dwarf come across a vessel floating in space that seems uninhabited. The only surviving crew member is a beautiful simulant who is slowly going back in time. Will the boys use her future knowledge to their advantage, or will they find... love?

Episode 3: Mystechnia
    The crew of Red Dwarf come across an interesting spaceship, floating in deep space. It's crew, a group of rogue 'Pervanoids' who have vowed to do the worst possible things to our boys. Cat decides to stay with them, but for how long? The boys also welcome the return of an old friend.

Episode 4: Breetass
    The crew of Red Dwarf find themselves sharing the same part of the universe as a vessel called the 'Holostudio'. This ship is able to recreate any film or tv show that the crew desire and place them in it as the protagonist. Rimmer decides to live out his dream to be the manager of a leisure centre. Lister is surprised when an old flame comes to visit.

Episode 5: Too Many Mechanoids
    The crew of Red Dwarf find themselves face to face with another vessel in the depths of space. This ship holds technology that can turn any life form into a mechanoid. Just how many mechanoids are too many mechanoids?

Episode 6: One Last Time
    The crew receive a distress call from a ship claiming to be Starbug, but from decades ago. This is their chance to replenish their supplies and give sage advice to their younger selves, but will they listen?

If anyone wants the Japanese scans, they are floating around on Twitter right now. Hope this has been of some help.

jed

2. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Take caution with Seb's [RDXII] reminders.

Oh my.

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Joke. Deadpan mode.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I see a bit of a pattern here!

I'm most interested in Episode 6, which seems like it might be a cliffhanger or at least a "this episode matters" episode. I am especially intrigued by the notion of a Starbug from decades ago. In objective time, the crew were in deep-sleep decades ago. If we only count subjective (ie experienced) time, then we're hard-pushed to even make two decades:

5 or 6 years non-stasis from Series I - start of VIII (Ref: BitR I)
    + 9 years between VIII & BtE (Ref: BtE I)
    + ? years non-stasis VIII + BtE + X + XI

That's probably about eighteen years or so. If we round it up to two, then a Starbug from two decades ago would have to be Series I, meaning Kryten hasn't joined and Rimmer is softlight.

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Er, I suggest you read the post a bit more closely. Especially "episode 4".

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Given that a few people have already taken it at face value, I'm a bit concerned this may spiral out of control, so while it ruins whatever gag Jed was presumably trying to make, I'm going to have to spell it out: the above titles/synopsis are a joke, and have no basis in reality. There isn't even a Japanese Blu-ray for them to have come from!

7. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

The derelicts obviously have different contents, but they're all derelict episodes. I found it amusing that the first sentences are virtually identical. "The crew finds a vessel floating in space".

Edit:
    Well, I believed it. They all seemed perfectly feasible to me.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I believed it up until 'Breetass'.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I noticed that some of the Japanese titles were quite different, but I've seen that before with Japanese versions of things. And they were all close enough upon analysis:

1: Here No Evil - Syri:
    Makes sense as a pun on the talking-phone Siri.
    2: Emit - M-Corp:
    No real connection other than an em-prefix.
    3: Siliconia - Mystechnia:
    Both -nias.
    4: Time Wave - Breetass:
    This one doesn't work.
    5: Mechocracy - Too Many Mechanoids:
    In both cases, lots of Mechs.
    6: Star Knot - One Last Time
    The synopsis of One Last Time works for Star Knot since it's a Starbug time-loop.

10. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Just got it....! :P

11. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

The cat is out the bag then along with Lister, Rimmer and Kryten. Episode 4 awesome idea. Jape of the decade:lol:

12. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

Why has nobody done this yet? :wave: