Star Wars or Star Trek?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Dec 29, 2017.

Star Wars or Star Trek

1. Star Wars

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Star Trek

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Just re-watched Star Trek : Into Darkness and thought of this. Now that Star Wars is a Disney property we can "look forward" to many many many more episodes of this franchise. Star Trek on the other hand seems to be mired in everything that could possibly go wrong. Both franchise's have enough backstory and have been around long enough for most if not all people to have an opinion on them. What's yours?

I'm a Trekkie and always have been. To ME Star Wars is a more children, juvenile oriented storyline while Star Trek USUALLY deals with more adult themes. Deeper in other words. Gene Roddenberry really took pains to make that so too.

So, Do you like the Star Wars universe or Star Trek's? "Star Wars" encompasses all the movies while Star Trek encompasses the movies AND the T.V. series'.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm not a fan of either so I'm abstaining. Never seen a full episode of Star Trek and don't want to. I saw the original three Star Wars films and they seemed quite good but they didn't make me a fan, and I saw as much of the Phantom Menace as I could stomach.

3. Václav Claus

Václav Claus Deck Sergeant

Never watched episode of Star Shrek or Star Trek or how is it called and not gonna watch any. This series would be probalbly boring for me. But I watched all Star Worse or Star Wars or how is it called movies and the original ones were really good, so definitely STAR WARS.

4. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

5. BigOleDummy

I'm a little surprised by the results so far I must admit. Not judging or anything but I really assumed Star Trek would smoke Star Bores in the poll. On the one hand you have such great storytelling/themes as "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Inner Light" and on the other you have a guy kissing his sister and having a mean dad.

6. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've watched several episodes of TOS, TNG, Deep Space Nine (til it got realllly weird), Voyager, half a dozen episodes of Babylon 5 (didn't get it), and one episode of Enterprise. And all the Star Trek movies, detesting the first one The Motion Picture as it was a load of :picard::picard::picard::picard: ...

I've watched Star Wars I, II and III (couldn't stand them), IV, V and VI (preferred IV), Rogue One and Force Awakens.

As for which one I'd choose... I have no idea.

7. BigOleDummy

Showing my prejudice here I suppose :redface:, but I own all TOS and TNG and all the movies. Totally agree with you about "The Motion Picture" btw, a money grab and nothing else imho. First season of Deep Space Nine was all of THAT I could handle and Enterprise just never grabbed me. I DO have a Fan Favorite DVD of all the episodes with "Q" in them, TNG, DS9 and Enterprise included that's excellent. Tried and tried and tried AGAIN to watch/like Babylon 5 but just ....... couldn't. Didn't care for the actors, the scripts, just the whole premise I guess.
    As for Star Wars , I waited in line for over two hours to see the first one. It was a real "event" back then lol, and my favorite memory of it was the cartoon they played before the movie started. (Yes, it was a Chilly Willie one :redface::lol:) Haven't had the desire to see any others. I was actually a little heartbroken after seeing the first one. I really like Science Fiction and had such high hopes ..........................

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I find Star Trek tolerable and frequently entertaining in all its incarnations, but I'm a Star Wars man. I loved the 'submarine in space' aspect of Star Trek, but the Fantasy adventure of Star Wars thrilled me and still does.

9. BigOleDummy

Exactly! Star Wars is a Fantasy adventure with some science fiction elements at heart. I'm not a Star Wars knocker but I prefer more Science Fiction with a more .........oh, explainable, possible adventure element to it. Besides....... when Picard says " Make It So" , my knees get weak:-D :redface::-D.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  10. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

My top show with Star in it is Stargate SG-1 ;-)

Voted Star Wars because I love the original trilogy and R2-D2 is my favourite droid is all franchises.

I have not seen enough of Star Trek. Seen most of the original series. One of the new movies and random episodes of the other series. I like what I have seen.

11. BigOleDummy

Well, as the ONLY Trekkie in the forum it seems :-D, I have to say that at least Star Wars is still a ongoing thing for you. I'm starting to worry that Gene's universe is ............ over.

12. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

Trek has by far the most terrible acting, but that's part of the love and appeal I imagine