Starbug Electronic Playset. How Rare????

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by GTaDave, Apr 12, 2009.

1. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    How Rare is this toyset the one I saw a cppl of in BTE in the scifi shop. Ive seen a couple of listings on Ebay recently (2 to be precise) using words like Uber Rare and verey very very very rare. So I'd thought I'd ask in here in the hope someone can tell me. How rare is this playset and is it worth paying a lot of money for a good one.

2. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

The Starbug playset isn't that rare, people use terms like this on eBay to build up the sale. You can still get them complete. I think they originally sold for £29.00.

3. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I've got two of them one to play with and one in the box untouched :eek:ops:

4. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Nice Idea. How tough is it? In other words is it possible to play/look at it without the risk of wear and tear Also what is the packaging like is it totally sealed to the point where you have to damamge the pack to get the toy out?

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

6. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

The packaging is pretty good, easily get the items out and back in without destroying the plastic.

7. dredd1981

dredd1981 Skutter

I'm kicking myself, I saw them on play a few years ago but decided against getting one....and now guess what i want...I've been trawling ebay, most on there are used/broken. There was one new in box a few days ago i was bidding on but it went for over £100! I don't suppose anyone knows anywhere that still does them?:-D

8. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

www.scificollector.co.uk used to sell them (may still) amongst other RD goodies.

9. dredd1981

dredd1981 Skutter

Nah, they have a nice teasing picture of it amongst their dwarf merch but don't actually stock it :-(

10. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I had one....then i set it on top of my old tv (before i got a flatscreen Plasma) and it slid down the back, and all its legs snapped off. Now I dont like it any more.

11. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

Eeeee that's cute! Like Polly Pocket but with the Dwarfers. :3

WANT.

*grabs*

12. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

I dont recall what polly pocket is. It reminds me of the boys equivelent, although i cannot remember the name, I do remember the toy. It was a pop up adventure/treasure hunt type of thing. It was exactly the same style as starbug. you had a disc shaped case and you opened it up and on the top lid was half the adventure and on the bottom lid was the other half. I think you got a boy aka the adventurer and his pet dog as figures.

13. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

The boy equivelent was Mighty Max, and it was a matter of interest!

14. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

What was a matter of interest??:?

15. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

I have another query. Ive recently read a review from Ganymede and titan. They say that when you push the dialouge button on top of the bug they sound "very peculiar indeed. In fact, they sound as if they are speaking in slow motion. It's like having a conversation with Paul Robeson on dope".

They say they changed the batteries with no success. Is that just one of a bad batch or are all the starbug playsets like that:?:

16. J_Spaced

J_Spaced Second Technician

Hi all. First time poster, since I was looking into the Starbug playset I stumbled on this forum.

There are lots of playsets still out there. I bought a damaged one for £9.99 at my local TV and Movie Store. I won't post the details in case it breaches the forum rules.

Sadly eBay aren't able to enforce trading standards on members of the public. I wouldn't say they were rare. The local TV and Movie Store I mentioned? Has a few in stock, undamaged for £19.99.

My Starbug talks slowly too. Is there anyone out there who knows electronics? Could the switching of resistors on the PCB speed things up a bit? I also had problems with the battery type. The ones I borrrowed from someone were very posh but the casing was slightly too tall, so the contacts didn't meet the batteries! In the end I went to a Pound shop and now it works, but in that slow speed mentioned above.

I'll ask around myself elsewher and if I find anything I'll post it here.

17. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I would Like to get one of these set but would not know where to start looking as I don't trust ebay

18. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I searched high and low for the playset, ordering it from several internet shops - all of whom emailed me a couple of days later to say they had none. Got one now though and yes the speach is slow. Does your local TV and Movie store have any Mr Flibble puppets in stock, can't get hold of one of them for love nor money?

19. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

Yeah I had the same problem trying to find one. Can I ask how you got one in the end? Thanks

20. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

It was all basically trial and error and many hours trawling through internet companies. I ended up getting the last of stock for £24.99 + postage, from a small company. I know it was the last one because I tried to get 2 so that one could be displayed and one put away but they only had the one.