Starbug Electronic Playset. How Rare????

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by GTaDave, Apr 12, 2009.

1. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

Thanks, got mine this morning. Its lovely. Thanks for the tip. :-D

2. J_Spaced

J_Spaced Second Technician

No problem. That was quick! Simon says he's only got one left in good repair, so hurry if any of you others want one. I guess it's rarer than I thought.

Bad news though: I visited Maplin to talk changing components, trying to speed up the voice? No go. It's a self contained chip which means its speed is pre-programmed. The only thing I can think of that would slow down the voices so significantly is if they were provided to the Chinese manufacturers in a .wav format (or simliar) sampled at 44KHz and were converted to some slower sample in the process to put it on the chip. I did resolder the wires and some of the components so now, with more voltage going through, it's louder. But it's still slooooow...

So my Starbug is experiencing a White Hole or Time Slip or something.

3. Stasisleak

Stasisleak Skutter

I bought a starbug playset a few weeks ago from ebay.

It had the front legs missing but cost me £10 not the £100 complete ones go for.

It now has new fabricated legs and is looking much better now its repaired. The sound is slow - but its still a great model!

4. shelbert

shelbert Third Technician

My local tv and movie shop had one or two on display the other day...maybe I should go buy one.....but where to put it?!

5. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Thanks for that m8, mine is on its way after being signed by Craig and Rob I believe, over a special signing day at the weekend:eek: I owe you a pint.:-D

6. dredd1981

dredd1981 Skutter

:-( tried around but no one seems to have any, waaaaaaa :-( :-)

7. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

bought a secondhand one recently for quite a high price,
    unfortunately my first one got brokened :-( so hopefully two not-perfect condition ones will become one perfect beautiful model!
    I do hope they get remade though, or another run produced - they're great!
    definately some of the better merchandise released.. :-)

8. J_Spaced

Hi,
    How did you manufacture the replacement legs? I'm missing part of one of the front ones...
    J

9. ivrytwr3

ivrytwr3 Skutter

Hey all,

I have the Starbug set for sale if anyone wants it. I bought it new on the day pf release and it has only been out of the box to remove the batteries and was then resealed and has been stored away for years.

As for the talking slowly, yes mine is one of the originals that does this, but speaking to some serious collectors, don't try to get it speeded up or tamper with it. Leave it as it is as when more merchandise is released the original faulty ones will rocket in value apparently!!

Anyway, if anyone wants to make an offer:

oneenglishguy at yahoo dot com

10. ivrytwr3

ivrytwr3 Skutter

11. JEZZMUND

JEZZMUND First Technician

passed?

12. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

13. ivrytwr3

ivrytwr3 Skutter

passed!! Woo!! Hoo!! ;-)

I'll keep the Starbug until the end of this week and then it's going to the highest bidder. Bid history:

£29.99
    £50
    £70
    £75
    £79.99
    £80 x 3
    £1 million pounds (loool)
    £1 million dollarpounds + a skutter!!

I WILL sell this to a forum member as oppose to EBaying, so get your bids in!!

Ta for looking!

14. ivrytwr3

ivrytwr3 Skutter

oops, forgot to mention, i can't access my emails from work, so if you have emailed me today i will be unable to respond until i get home tonight (if you do have any questions/problems, you can PM me).

15. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

I got mine today, it took slightly longer to deliver mine though. It is signed and in its original packaging cheers for the heads up. I do have a question I hope someone can answer. The voice chip on mine is slow, but also the sound is extremely quiet. I can hardly hear what is being said. Is this normal too or are the bateries wearing out or something more serious?

Edit: Ive just browsed ebay, theres a starbug playset for sale on a buy it now price of.....:shock:£145.99p:shock: thats crazy. For that sort of money I'd be tempted to sell mine even though ive just got it :roll:

16. J_Spaced

If you really want the sound chip loud as well as slow, replace the batteries. In the end though, I took mine apart and did some very unpretty resoldering (complete with melted plastic fumes mmm-hhmm).

To be honest, you're just as well chucking the batteries out and keeping it as a nice model.

J

17. dredd1981

dredd1981 Skutter

Yea saw that myself, £145 for a toy that cost about £30 a year ago? Although having said that I was tempted, i've hunted high and low for a bug but they seem to all be in the hands of either collectors or greedy prospectors eager to sell a bug for x5 its original value! About time PE made more of these....or someone else for that matter!

18. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

I would just settle for the Starbug it's self I wouldn't worry about the sound I would like to have it as an ordinary model. I hope they make more or something Like it as I got the corgi models but they are too small and more for display only

19. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

I was expecting the sound to be slow I just didnt expect that it would be so quiet that I cant hear the quotes. Ill take it out of its box later (i didnt want to but i cannot resist playing with it) and I'll have a look at the batteries then.

20. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

soz double post.
    I am a little dissapointed that on closer inspection, although Ive not taken it out the box yet, that both the wings are snapped off and mising on mine. (the fins with the 1 on starbugs engines) And the pointy thing at the back is snapped and hanging on for dear life lets just hope when i do open it nothing else is broken :-(