Starbug sold for over £2,000 on ebay.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by KingR76, May 21, 2012.

1. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-22-inch-RED-DWARF-STARBUG-PROP-MODEL-STAR-BUG-STUDIO-SCALE-RARE-BBC-FILM-TV-/320904742296?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item4ab769c598#ht_1253wt_1185

Quite a bargain and one hell of a collectors item :-)

2. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

Damn that thing is amazing. I would love that. Although the seller taking pictures of it in his muddy garden is weird.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I thought that too! I wonder how many extra hundred quitd he would have got if he hadn't parked it in mud. :P

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Can someone post the pictures? Work have started blocking eBay :-(

6. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

How incredibly sad would you be to buy this for £2k? I mean it doesnt DO anything? It just sits there! :shock:

Tried posting photo for non ebay viewers, but says pixels too wide.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Evidently the winner didn't pay, as it's been relisted. Such a pain when that happens (I had it recently with a rare football shirt - was dead excited when it went for twice as much as I was expecting, only to find that the winner was a guy with zero feedback who didn't respond to any of my messages. By the time I'd closed the case and got my final value fee credited back, the next two bidders had no interest in second chance offers either, so I've now had to relist and it'll probably go for much less).

8. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

why are you so negative about everything? Why would anyone buy a painting that doesn't dispense cola and play music. I think that would be really cool as a decoration.

9. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

I think its nice that we Fans have the opportunity of owning something that (even though may not be screen used) still has the same recognition factor of those in the business, on the description it said something to that effect.

Years back I went to Disneyland Paris and bought a Stormtrooper helmet and (as a Star Wars fan) I absolutely loved it, a few years ago I was skimming on ebay for Stormtrooper Helmets and came across an amazing item, it wasnt your average (go into Forbidden Planet or other reputable business) item this was as close to the actual prop as you can get.

Going on to the official page of Andrew Ainsworth (not really that well known) he was the original prop maker on Star Wars (the very first one) and was responsible for sculpting the Stormtrooper Helmet and armour, at the time I HAD the money to actually order a "Hero Helmet" on the base you're given it says "From the original 1976 moulds"

I keep it on display under its original clear, thick plastic wrapping to keep it safe from dust and what have you but like I said this is as close to having the real thing as possible - I very rarely wear it because like Luke said in "A New Hope"

"I can't see a thing in this helmet."

To give the serious collectors an idea on the price, it would be as much as a sit down signature from Harrison Ford.

Also, what has been interesting is that George Lucas took Andrew Ainsworth of "Shepperton (nice little nod to Red Dwarf) Design Studios" to court in a lawsuit about copyright.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14287864

A Stormtrooper Helmet/Starbug is to Fans/Collectors eyes the same thing, a beautiful collectors item that even though isn't really of practical use is still a very nice thing to have. :-)

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Paging ori-STUDFARM in 5... 4... 3...

11. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I think I've actually seen this Starbug model in real life at the National Space Centre in Leicester on the sci-fi weekend. The makers of it were talking to Matt Irvine and comparing it to his Starbug model. It was identical....even down to the shade of green. Which I heard the amateurs say was luck alone!! I also met and had my picture taken with DJJ and BobbyLlew.

As for the stormtrooper helmet. I own full Stormtrooper armour. And it's not just the helmet that is difficult. You should try stairs and kerbs in it.....and as for going to the bathroom....forget it!!:-D

12. ori-STUDFARM

You posted as I was writing that. Am I that predictable? :-)

13. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

That must have been over 1k for all that. Cos my Hero helmet was £500. Have been tempted to get the rest of the costume so I can sign up for the 501st legion but it jst goes to show that you and I are both diehard collectors who love this kind of thing.

Ever done any events? Last year at the 02 at Empire Bigscreen there were a few there and I have a picture of four troopers all trampling me when I'm on the floor.

Bet you have to fully unleash your bladder before getting into it, how many pieces in total to get on and how long does it take?

14. ori-STUDFARM

There's absolutely nothing official about it. But the seller was selling on eBay, I got in touch, and I got a reduced price for buying two. (My ScutterCast co-host bought on at the same time). It then happened that the seller was only about 10 minutes drive away from my house, so we saved there. Price for the lot including E-11 blaster was £450. The boots we had to get ourselves which Darren had imported from the US for £50 each.

So this was £500....some assembley required. But for the most part (helmet, gun etc) it was complete...

Takes about 20-30 minutes to put on. And I can never get the shoulders to stay in place! We keep saying we'll sign up to the 501st....not done yet though. Halloween, New Year and once at a fancy dress is all we've managed so far. There were plans for some comedy You Tube video's using green screen. Never happened though!

[​IMG]

Incidently, this is me with another friend who lives two doors away. I saved for bits and bobs a couple of years to buy it. he knew I was close and found that one second hand on Ebay.... If anyone does go buying fromEbay though, beware of the cheap looking budget ones...abd the FX armour ones. The FX helmets are oversized and frowned upon by most armour wearers. Most end up replacing the helmet after a few months...

Anyway. I've thread the jacked....That Starbug model....awesome hey?:-D

15. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

£450 for all of it? Sweet Yoda!!!

20 - 30 minutes seems to be quite good with all the different bits to it.

If you do sign up let me know so I can save up enough and get an order through with Shepperton Design cos I maybe tempted :-) Love how it all looks.

16. ori-STUDFARM

Of course, the main problem is that my beard sticks out underneath the helmet....I should get one of those beard nets chef's sometimes use!

17. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

Cloud wrote:
    Not negative, just cant see the point of possessions, especially one at that amount when so many people are homeless or hungry. I buy something, read it, watch it, play with it then donate it to charity straight after. Id rather give my 2k to charity than buy a piece of green plastic/metal with a working light. :shock:

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Question. Why don't you just give the money you'd spend on a book, film, game, what-have-you direct to charity? That way they'd get more money out of it compared to your second-hand item. I'm guessing the answer to this is because you want to read the book, watch the film, play the game, what-have-you, and hopefully enjoy yourself whilst doing so. Well the exact same logic applies to this. Someone wants to buy an expensive piece of plastic/metal with a working light because they'll enjoy it, just like you with your purchases. You can't begrudge them it just because you personally don't find enjoyment in owning something like that.

19. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Can someone post the picture from the listing please? Work still have eBay blocked :!:

20. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant