Starbug "toy"

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Clarence, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Clarence

Clarence First Technician

Has anyone bought one of those starbug (with sound) playset's, looks like they are made by skynet with 4 little figures. I sometimes see people list them on ebay and they go for about £70 I guess but I see you can get them new from Japan for not much more?
    Thinking of getting one, any views?

2. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

I have one, they are well worth having if your a true collector, but, if you can afford it, get two, one to keep in it's packaging to keep the value and one to open and display.

The sound chips are not very good and it won't matter if you change the battery, they will still sound slow and quiet.

Be very careful if you get one, they can break very easily and for £70 I doubt you want it broken.

3. Clarence

Thanks kry10 don't think I could stretch to buying two but might get one. One thing I can't work out from the pictures I have seen is how big they are?

4. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

It measures approx 23cm long and 15cm tall at the engine end, it is a good size.

If you want to know more, just ask.

5. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

It's definitely worth having, but like Kry10 says, the sounds probably won't work properly, it's just a manufacture's defect, and if you do decide to remove it from the packaging, be very careful of the legs, they are fragile. He and I are of separate minds about removing it from packaging; if you want to retain the value for selling later on and don't mind displaying the bulky packaging, then obviously leave in it; however I feel it's worth opening and enjoying its beauty close up, plus you can see all the detail on the inside, including a talkie toaster, the bunks, the cockpit and pop-up Holly. :-D

6. Clarence

I do fancy getting one, I know my wife will think I am sad though. I just have to make sure she doesn't see the price, I managed to get away with getting the smegzines by telling her I got both volumes for £3 on eBay so might have to try the same trick. Thanks for the dimensions and advice on the sound card. Will let you know my thoughts If I get round to ordering one.

7. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

Have had to do the same thing myself, the wife doesn't have the same enthusiasm about Red Dwarf, so, I have to keep it to myself, last purchase nearly caused a split, mind you, it was £160 for the Poker Chip Set.

8. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Maybe invest in some RD sextoys to keep her happy?!? :eek:ops:

10. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Gives new meaning to the age-old question, "Short and thick, or long pencil version?" :lol:

11. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

She doesn't need any, got a shed full of powertools.

12. TomMassey250

TomMassey250 Skutter

Hi :-) I am the seller of that Starbug toy linked above, I've got two of them so I decided to sell one. Sadly two of the little figures are missing, which is a total shame (they never came with it from the seller I got it from) but the ship itself is genuinely beautiful, almost an exact replica of the show model.

I'd be looking for around £60-ish for it, plus a little for P&P considering its in perfect condition with its box (just minus the two minifigs) Maybe somebody out there has the little figures and a broken starbug and would like to combine the sets? :-D Let me know if you do.